PDA

View Full Version : August/September Entry: The Human Diaspora

Diamond
08-26-2010, 06:34 AM
I only see one other space-themed map. *Whew* :D

This is going to (hopefully) show the various stellar nations of humanity; I'm not going to be strictly scientifically accurate (i.e., I'm not for the most part using real stars and/or planets).

###Latest WIP###28439

tilt
08-26-2010, 06:44 AM
nice huu-maaan... you'ree maps are belong to us :)

Diamond
08-27-2010, 09:52 PM
Borders completed. The areas that aren't beveled/emphasized are non-human nations.

### Latest WIP ###

Diamond
08-28-2010, 12:43 AM
And a little more... It's coming together a bit nicer now.

### Latest WIP ###

saithan
08-28-2010, 01:02 AM
awesome, love travelers. cool to see original work for it.
looks good!

Diamond
08-28-2010, 03:14 AM
Thanks! Not Traveller though, but stuff of my own creation. Suppose I should think of a different name than 'Terran Empire'...

saithan
08-28-2010, 03:17 AM
yeah the terran and imperium made me think travelers, but the map itself is original so who cares what you named them. still cool either way!

tilt
08-28-2010, 03:23 AM
looks really cool Diamond - and Terran Empire is a natural way to go :)

Jaxilon
08-28-2010, 10:39 AM
This is really looking sweet now.

mearrin69
08-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Looks great...and what a great idea. I like that you made the Terran Empire red. It sort of implies something.
M

Diamond
08-28-2010, 08:25 PM
Keep on truckin'...

### LATEST WIP ###

mearrin69
08-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Love it! You're so getting rep from me. I already want to play a game there. Great planet names...many are not so terribly predictable, which is a good thing!
M

edit: BTW, you're not even done and I've already stolen this for my "inspiration" folder to show to my co-DM, who will get all inspired about sci-fi gaming again.

Diamond
08-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Thanks, mearrin, I appreciate that.

Anyone notice any typos or anything? I've gone over it several times and don't see any, but the person doing the creating is probably not the one that should proofread it. And of course, the alien names are open to interpretation. :D

I'm wondering what else I can put in at this point; I was considering showing major trade routes and possible zones of influence outside of the 'established' borders.

mearrin69
08-28-2010, 09:20 PM
I'll give it a once-over for typos but I didn't see anything as I was panning around.

As for what to add, I'm not sure. Wouldn't want it to get too cluttered with routes and such. How about a couple of "tourist attractions"? I'm talking about the "Seven Wonders of the Galaxy" or something like that: 1) the ringworld at Farpoint, 2) the imperial shipyards of Diogenes (which fill the whole system), 3) yadda yadda. I'm picturing maybe even a little callout with a "photo" of the item in question. Dunno. Maybe that drops the serious factor too much (don't want to make it a tour guide). You could at least note a couple of features like this, however...
M

Edit: Okay, error noted: You've got "coreward" and "spinward" pointing away from each other. Traditional sci-fi directions are "coreward" pointing toward the core (duh) and "rimward" pointing 180 degrees opposite that. Then there's "spinward" pointing in the direction of galactic spin and "anti-spinward" or "trailing" pointing the other direction. I see you've got "The Trailing Outback" in the correct position if up is coreward and clockwise is spinward. Does that make any sense at all?

Diamond
08-28-2010, 10:02 PM
****. I knew I messed that up and forgot to change it before I merged some layers; I'll see if I can correct it. Thanks for the catch!

What I thought about doing was putting a picture of each capital planet in a little box near each world, but that might be too cluttered; we'll see what happens...

Diamond
08-29-2010, 01:34 AM
Minor progress; I corrected that embarrassing mistake that mearrin pointed out, and added some 'imperial zones of influence'. Next I'm going to work up some planets and see how they look superimposed on the main map.

### LATEST WIP ###

mearrin69
08-29-2010, 01:55 AM
Looking good - I like the way you marked the zones. Regarding names: Seems like a lot of the systems in The United Republics are named after authors. Are they all? I'm not familiar with some of them and was just wondering. Also. I bet the Clanholds would be a cool place for a campaign.
M

tilt
08-29-2010, 01:58 AM
niiice... love the "possible location of old earth" :)

Steel General
08-29-2010, 09:58 AM
Neat stuff!

Diamond
08-29-2010, 04:10 PM
Looking good - I like the way you marked the zones. Regarding names: Seems like a lot of the systems in The United Republics are named after authors. Are they all? I'm not familiar with some of them and was just wondering. Also. I bet the Clanholds would be a cool place for a campaign.
M

A lot of them are author's names; there's a couple more scattered here and there, plus a couple of other easter eggs.

I was hoping to post a final version last night, but PS kept crapping out on me; I'll try again today, saving after every action, and see if I can finish it.

Diamond
08-29-2010, 10:11 PM
Well, I think this might be done, although with almost two weeks left before the deadline, I might think of something else to add in there.

### LATEST WIP ###

mearrin69
08-29-2010, 11:00 PM
Looks awesome! Nice work.
M

Ramah
08-30-2010, 05:28 AM
Love it, Diamond. Great stuff. :)

tilt
08-30-2010, 11:27 AM
Well, I think this might be done, although with almost two weeks left before the deadline, I might think of something else to add in there.

### LATEST WIP ###

yeah.. I hear you... I'd be just about ready to turn in my map too - but now I'll probably tinker with it for two weeks, spending time I don't have... ;)

Diamond
08-30-2010, 04:57 PM
yeah.. I hear you... I'd be just about ready to turn in my map too - but now I'll probably tinker with it for two weeks, spending time I don't have... ;)

We must resist the call of the tinker... be strong, brother. :D

Ascension
08-30-2010, 08:42 PM
To create is divine. To tinker is human. So tinker away I say...it's the clarion call of the perfectionist :)