PDA

View Full Version : New Map need some advice

Krome
08-27-2010, 04:09 AM
This is a new map I started working on a few hours ago. It is a rocky desert locale. There are icons representing encounters. Not sure if I will keep those or not.

My old computer died and I JUST got a new Photoshop CS5 in today. Been months without PS so very very rusty.

SO, too dark, too light, too rough, whatever, let me know please. :)

tilt
08-27-2010, 05:21 AM
to small... :) ... I wanna zoom in and see the details. But at this size my critisism would be that it looks a little shiny - colors are good though and I like it a little dark - gives some ambiance :)

ravells
08-27-2010, 05:52 AM
You could go for some sand where the shiny bits are.....I've done a quick and dirty which is hopefully self explanatory and can be improved upon. Rather than using the colour adjustment layer you could just use a solid colour in the layerstyles and choose 'colour' for the blend mode there.

jfrazierjr
08-27-2010, 09:05 AM
Wow, those some big dang scorpions. Looks nice!

Ascension
08-27-2010, 04:41 PM
I think I've only uttered the line "too dark" like once cuz I loves me some dark moody ambiance. So if I were going to do anything I'd go darker but, really, nothing needs changing at all, IMO...unless you can throw some boulders in here n there. Very nice.

Krome
09-03-2010, 05:24 AM
Thanks, I like that sand added. No idea why I did not add any sand! And they ARE giant scorpions after all! lol

This was an attempt to do a proof of concept for me. That is why the image is small. I just wanted to see if it would work well enough. I am torn between two map styles for what I need. This style I know and understand, at least I think I can do well enough for my needs. :) The other style I have never tried. More of a "hand drawn" look, similar to what you see in the front of the Lord of the Rings and other such epic fantasy books. I picture this style as if on a parchment, with vague inverted Vs for mountains, wavy lines for waves on a river, soft wide Cs on the side for hills, with a soft shading throughout. Never tried that though! lol maybe try and find a tut on that style if there is one... then try it out and compare...

jfrazierjr
09-03-2010, 03:40 PM
Thanks, I like that sand added. No idea why I did not add any sand! And they ARE giant scorpions after all! lol

This was an attempt to do a proof of concept for me. That is why the image is small. I just wanted to see if it would work well enough. I am torn between two map styles for what I need. This style I know and understand, at least I think I can do well enough for my needs. :) The other style I have never tried. More of a "hand drawn" look, similar to what you see in the front of the Lord of the Rings and other such epic fantasy books. I picture this style as if on a parchment, with vague inverted Vs for mountains, wavy lines for waves on a river, soft wide Cs on the side for hills, with a soft shading throughout. Never tried that though! lol maybe try and find a tut on that style if there is one... then try it out and compare...

If you take a look at my sig, there is a link to an old tutorial for just that style. And in my WIP maps, there is a partially completed map of Baldimar which uses that exact style. I have figured out some better ways to make the mountains look more isometric in a few doodles, but nothing down on the computer as of yet.