PDA

View Full Version : Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional - Anyone own this book?

jaerdaph
11-15-2007, 07:31 AM
Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional by Akkana Peck.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1590595874/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I60ELLNFJPZNF&colid=8LABJAIXH7KC

I was wondering if this book was any good for learning GIMP. I have a chance to pick it up dirt cheap with a coupon, so I thought I'd ask if anyone has it and found it useful. I've flipped through it briefly once, and I was very impressed with the quality of the color pages inside.

Thanks in advance. :)

GlennZilla
11-15-2007, 10:12 AM
Not being a GiMP user or ownign the book, I can't give any direct advice. But I find that I can't pass up any chance to buy training on a software package cheap.

That also explains why I have a shelf filled with books for Photoshop 6.5 and 3D Studio Max 2.5. Those were the current versions when I started learning them.

ravells
11-15-2007, 10:47 AM
I share your addiction, GlenZilla.

RobA
11-15-2007, 02:01 PM
I have it, and it is quite good to learn how a program like GIMP works (lots of stuff on layers, masking, etc.) Lots of focus on photo editing/touch-up and "web" graphics. If you have specific questions on content ask, and I'll look it up (though I see the amazon link does have the index and TOC online).

Not that much on using it to "create art"...

(Now that would be a book I would buy ie- "The Digital Artist - Creative Techniques Using GIMP")...

-Rob A>

ravells
11-15-2007, 05:31 PM
About time you wrote one, Rob!

jaerdaph
11-15-2007, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the info - I probably will pick this up eventually. Unfortunately, I had some unexpected expenses today. The money goes out faster than it comes in lately. :(

RobA
11-16-2007, 10:50 AM
About time you wrote one, Rob!

Only if you edit it Ravs!

-Rob A>

jaerdaph
11-17-2007, 12:10 PM
If you build it, they will come. :)

Gamerprinter
11-24-2007, 10:47 AM
Since I'm not yet a major GIMP user, I did not purchase the books, however, I did find "Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional" and I did glance through the book.

Although it looked interesting, there was another book right next to it, that seemed really interesting, and perhaps more useful - Mastering GIMP Effects.

I'd say that second book looked better the first - IMHO. More step-by-step tutorials and deeper use of GIMP techniques.

I purchased Digital Horror Art - as that is one my interests... 8)

RobA
11-24-2007, 02:10 PM
I spent more time flipping though my copy and it has a few more good items I missed out before.

It deals with 2.4, the current version - so is useful to explain the new features.

It explains the new colour profile/management that GIMP supports as of this version.

It gets into the details of writing custom scripts, i.e. programming gimp to do macros, or whatever.

-Rob A>

jaerdaph
11-25-2007, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the info, guys. I have a new coupon for B&N online for 25% off, so I'm looking at these now.

Digital Horror Art - I saw that too in B&N the other day and it looked really good. Someday I'll master the basic skills so I can move on to something like that.

jaerdaph
11-25-2007, 04:49 PM
FRAK!!!

I clicked on the link to B&N in the 25% off coupon email and, surprise surprise, the price of the GIMP book jumped from about $40 online discount price to the full list price of $50. :( I really hate when online stores do that kind of crap.

Just found it at Amazon for $32 and free shipping though. :)