PDA

View Full Version : The World of Argontath - First Map

Valtharius
08-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Well it is done.... my very first map! What an enjoyable journey! A huge thank you to the Cartography Community for the feedback and a special thank you to Ascension!

It may not be pretty, but I am really happy right now! I give you the World of Argontath!

Thank you again!!!

~Val

Click for the finish map here:

====================================

Quabbe
08-27-2010, 06:30 PM
Hehe, this is a big map. I understand very well how you feel right now. :) Congratulations, it looks really beautiful. I like the skulled compass! :)

Needs definitely some rep!

Quabbe

NeonKnight
08-27-2010, 07:16 PM
Good work!

Avengeil
08-28-2010, 03:54 AM
Nice map. Repped.
I really like the detail of the sun shining behind Argontath.

Valtharius
08-29-2010, 12:55 PM
For some reason the map file I placed up was broken. I reloaded the map and it is in the first post now.

Thank you!

~Val

Valtharius
02-01-2011, 11:07 AM
Is there a site that could host a larger map file so more detail could be seen? Thanks!

~Val

jtougas
02-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Just found this thread. Excellent work !! :)

Slylok
02-01-2011, 07:06 PM
im not a big fan of this style, but this is really excellent! repped!

Steel General
02-02-2011, 07:04 AM
Nicely done...

TheRedEpic
02-02-2011, 11:40 AM
I Really like this style alot, its a great map:) Have you ever tried to smooth the transition from landmass to ocean or water though, as of right now its a little abrupt. Thats my only gripe!

Diamond
02-04-2011, 10:02 PM
That's great work; really beautiful colors, and that font is perfect? What is that? (The one used for country names.)

I love how you did the rhumb lines too; very subtle and effective, especially the little pegasuses (pegasi?) Repped!

For a larger image hosting, have you tried Deviant Art?

Valtharius
02-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Thank you for all the feedback! I'm still trying to figure out the smoothing process from land to water. I can't seem to get it any finer without it ending up as huge pixels. I think that's what I mean. lol

The country name font is called: Seven Swordsmen BB / The oceans font is: Viner Hand ITC - The pegasi I used was scanned from a vintage (1920's?) cereal box (from Finland lol) my father-in-law has. I saw it and thought it would go perfect.

Never thought about using Deviant Art... you can host large pictures then? The map is fairly large... 7-10 megs. I will definitely check it out!

I just created a quickie flash site for my home-brewed campaign... Argontath Flash Site (http://www.wix.com/argontath/argontath) - I run a campaign through MapTools and Skype with several people down in Australia and a few other places. All the page is for is reference for them if they have questions or need to download character sheets. I am still trying to figure out Flash though and putting in the art in a format where it pops up the racial stats and all that good stuff. The black and white art and the places of interest are all original artwork.

Thanks again!!!

~Val

jtougas
02-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Your website is incredible!! That is very much what I would like to achieve someday :)

Diamond
02-08-2011, 02:02 PM
No kidding - your site is amazing! And thanks for the font info.

Valtharius
02-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Thanks, but it is really easy, even for a noob like me. LOL Go to wix.com and you can create your own free flash site. I have ZERO experience with website creation... in fact I started the site on Sunday while watching the Super Bowl. I'm just trying to figure out the little things like picture/album placement. I decided that the wikisite is really ugly and needed a plug and play designer. Choose a template, toss on some art and text and your all set! Give it a go. ;)

By the way, the map size is 25 megs! I thought it was 5 or 6 megs. heheheehh

~Val

Troedel
02-16-2011, 10:58 AM
I like the style very much. THX for your work and sharing.

Valtharius
02-25-2011, 01:16 PM
Thank Ascension for the style. His work is nothing short of inspirational!

I like the style very much. THX for your work and sharing.

Valtharius
08-16-2011, 08:45 AM
Curious to know how you can do a simple cut of a country from the map without losing the mountain ranges, rivers and such. I'd like to blow up each country to 3x/4x its size and put in finer details such as roads. bridges, places of interest.

Thank you for any ideas!

~Val