PDA

View Full Version : *** August 2010 Challenge Voting - In the Beginning: A Campaign Starter ***

Immolate
08-30-2010, 09:59 PM
August's challenge was to create a map for use as a starting point for an adventure. There was no limit to genre or the scale of the place represented. I think it is incumbent upon all of us to just the participants based on their adherence to the stated challenge, as well as the other aspects of entry, in order to reward their ability to work within a set of parameters. That said, it is up to you, the member of the Cartographer's Guild, to ultimately decide which entries deserve your vote.

You can find the thumbnails...

HERE (http://www.cartographersguild.com/utilities/Thumbs/Html/Challengers_Aug10.htm)

Please choose two entries. Our rules state that we allow one vote for each five entries, rounded down, but that feels unfairly restrictive when there are over five, so I'm going to break it for the second month in a row. Feel free to explain your vote or not, as you wish. Even at this stage, honest criticism is a blessing.

PLEASE GIVE REP TO THE ONES YOU VOTE FOR (along with anyone else you think is deserving).

Finally, I want to extend my appreciation and congratulations to all who participated in this month's challenge. The entries are all outstanding, and I believe you're all deserving of reputation for "letting it all hang out" in the toughest map competition on the intertubes.

Immolate
08-30-2010, 10:15 PM
I found all of the entries to be superbly done and immensely entertaining. With my busy schedule this month, I haven't been able to follow the challenge closely, so I went with less critical judgement and more emotional response to the pieces and, as a result, my votes went to Jaxilon and cereth. I thought Jax's yurt was creative and interesting, and his demon goat locked my vote. For cereth, it was the balance and feel of quality the entry exuded, a trick I've never really mastered myself, in spite of many attempts.

Rep to all of you guys for all the work you put in!

Juggernaut1981
08-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Ummm... Mearrin, that's a shot out of the park... Well Done dude.
Cereth gets my other vote... nicely done dude.

Ascension
08-30-2010, 11:07 PM
Cereth and Mearrin have the most outstanding maps but I voted for Ravs and Mearrin. I can't really explain why other than to say that they feel more "starting point" to me. I'm a bad judge this month.

mearrin69
08-31-2010, 12:27 AM
I voted for Jax...didn't notice to vote for two, whoops. Would have vote for Crayons if I had realized. Wasn't big on the 3D stuff but I dug his 2D map. Seemed to tell a story even though I didn't know what it was. Nice job everyone!
M

Edit: Yeah, only voted for one...DESPITE the rather large notice at the top of the poll!

tilt
08-31-2010, 02:34 AM
Great entries all around and what can I say... GO YURT! I really love that idea and the warm coloring, and the dampening of the outside made was a good choice Jax :)
mearrin get my other vote, love the composition with the letter and the picture and the gun on top - very nice ideed :)
Crayons map was cool but ended up a bit noisy and to sharp in my opion.
Icestorms looked good but didn't really fit my personal idea of a campaignstarter.
cereths map was beautiful done and I like the composition of that also, just not as much as jax's and mearrins
Ravells didn't get to finish - but I do believe he talked about locking himself out of the competition because he saw it a a community entry - in my opion it wasn't - he just got advice as all other mappers :) ... if he had finished the 3D version of that inn that might have been a contender indeed :)

Good challenge all - rep is on the way :)

Aelyn
08-31-2010, 04:52 AM
Tought decision, but in the end i found my favourites: To me, without doubt, the coolest map is Go Yurt! I'm a fan of Mongolian culture, plus I think it is a rather uncommon setting. I like fresh ideas! And from an artistic point of view I really love the details and colours. I'd so love to use this map in my own roleplaying :) Go Jax!

Second vote goes to mearrin. In my opinion the map alone isn't as spectacular as Jax's, but the compilation is great. The very clean style of the map fits perfectly, and the rest seems like a perfect plot hook. My vote for you, mearrin!

If you'll now excuse me, I've got to spread some love... ehm rep. ;)

krolac
08-31-2010, 06:48 AM
[Sorry to interrupt the vote thread, but are noobs (such as me) allowed to vote in this contest? Couldn't find any info / rules about this.][Answered below]

Awrighty then, green light to vote!

First vote goes to Crayons "Tin Mans map". Although I personally think the colors are a bit strong and that the grid detracts from the map, the Chinese-inspired map looks as an outstanding starting point for an adventure, trying to decode the cryptic message.

Second vote goes to Mearrin's "Brushy". Both the setting and the map looks great!

...I dont think I can rep with only 12 posts right?

Avengeil
08-31-2010, 07:12 AM
My first vote went for Jax and Go Yurt due to the coloring and the interesting idea.
My second one went to Mearrin because of the interesting story plot.
Noon Hanging made me laugh. That's such a cool idea and it's too bad that tilt wasn't able too do a bit more work on it.
Rep to everyone.

Immolate
08-31-2010, 07:45 AM
Not only are you allowed to vote, your vote counts as much as anyone's, so please do. If you're interested, we'd love you to participate.

RecklessEnthusiasm
08-31-2010, 08:27 AM
A vote for Jax's Yurt and Mearrin69 from me. The former because I like the idea and the goat, the latter because I am a huge sucker for flavor text and the wild west. I actually liked the colored version better though! I also love the idea of a balloon reconnaissance unit.

Ramah
08-31-2010, 01:38 PM
I'm actually going to hold off on voting for a day or so to give me time to consider. There are actually four I would definitely like to vote for and possibly five. :S

Good work everyone, you've really put me in a quandry.

Djekspek
08-31-2010, 06:07 PM
wow! VERY nice entries agains guys!
Crayons: love the concept of the map telling a story (you got me inspired here) combined with the battlemap
Icestorm: I could almost build a little campaign on this one: great detail+story!
Jax: creativity+humor rules! :) also i really like the handdrawn paintery style you did here
Cereth: very pretty pretty! Love the blue/orange color scheme
Ravs: Great idea! Collaborative creation can be real fun! :)
Mearrin: this one is looking very good! Love the style, overal composition and the map looks very good too.
tilt: concept is really cool (I really dig this kind of campaign starters... throw the party in a seemingly hopeless situation right from the start, too bad it doesnt seem quiet finished yet)

oh yeah, votes, hmm.... they all shouting 'pick me!'.... ok I picked Mearrin and Cereth... but great job all and thanks for entering... and have some rep
cheers!

Jaxilon
08-31-2010, 08:06 PM
I knew I should have had Mongolian cheer leaders in there chanting "Go Yurt, Go Yurt!" :)

mearrin69
08-31-2010, 08:32 PM
I heard 'em Jax...or was it the devil rug? Not sure but I felt strangely compelled to vote for your entry. In fact, that might be why I only placed one vote. That's it. The devil made me do it...not my inability to read and follow simple instructions.
M

geamon
09-01-2010, 07:07 PM
I voted for tilt and mearrin69. Tilt's vote was based off me reading The Serpentwar Saga by Raymond E Feist recently and I do love a good hanging because of it. Mearrin had an awesome concept and went for it. Good submissions everyone!

Icestorm008
09-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Thank you all for the praise and rep! I was delighted to use this challenge to improve my cartography skills and further develop this campaign I've been working on. I know Judenaia was not as specific or well designed as the other entries, but I hope some of the flavor of my imagination has sparked you all in some way. I plan to continue constructing the rest of the Empire Above and revamping some of the maps that were rushed along already =) If you are interested, the next map in the campaign, Tuls, is in the WIP section, and I plan to get back to working on that (and polishing off Judenaia, time permitting). Again, thank you for all your help and congratulations to all the other finalists!

im_sparticus
09-02-2010, 02:31 AM
Cereth almost got my vote, but I couldn't tell where--however nice the map is--the PCs started (a planet seeming a little large for a starting location to me).
Ice almost got a vote on the plot hooks alone. Great imagination.
Tilt might have had me if he had had some time to clean up the map a bit (parts of the path still looked like they had seams).
For me the fluff of Mearrin's map did it, although the sepia map/photo was still beautiful.
My other vote went to Crayons for the pictographic map as a hook more than the battlemap starting point.

Good job everyone, I defenately could learn a lot from each of you.

ravells
09-02-2010, 04:05 AM
Didn't get the chance to finish mine, and it wasn't intended for voting but no matter. Great work all! I went for mearrin and Cereth. Great presentation both. Hard choice as the other entries were really good as well. Well done everyone!

Marken4
09-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Ok, I would either start at Tilt's, Jaxilon's or mearrin's map if it were a game. And since I think that mearrin and Jaxilon's map looked best they get my vote.

Aval Penworth
09-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Great entry by mearrin. Very professional.

I liked to the look of Judenaia too. Well Done everyone.

torstan
09-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Congratulations to mearrin69 for a well desreved win. A very pretty entry - and congratulations to all that entered.

Immolate
09-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Way to go mearrin69! You piece definitely deserves all of the praise it's gotten and I hope to see lots more of this caliber from you in the future. Let me see about hooking you up with some compass!

mearrin69
09-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Schweet! Thanks, everyone, for the votes. Hard choices this time around for sure. If I can get my repper to work consistently I'm passing some around to all of the entrants. Nice work!
M

mmmmmpig
09-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Congrats Mearrin!

Djekspek
09-04-2010, 03:43 PM
aye gratz mearrin! well deserved win!

Crayons
09-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Well done mearrin! Well desrved!

tilt
09-05-2010, 03:27 AM
congrats mearrin, definitly deserved :) - I'd tried to rep you earlier but the "man" wouldn't let me... but I've spread a lotta love so I'll try again :)

Avengeil
09-05-2010, 03:41 AM
Congratulations Mearrin for a well earned victory.

Jaxilon
09-06-2010, 01:32 AM
Congratulations Mearrin you created a top notch entry. It was perfectly in line with the whole challenge and you deserved to win.

ravells
09-06-2010, 01:36 AM
Well done Mearrin! Great entry and nice to see something non-fantasy picking up the award for a change!

mearrin69
09-06-2010, 01:41 AM
Thanks, guys. Much appreciated!
M

Steel General
09-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Congratz Mearrin69!