PDA

View Full Version : Terra Nuova - work in progress

Skycast
11-16-2007, 12:30 PM
Greetings all, long time lurker, first time poster.

Anyway, this is the early version of a map I'm working on for a "New World" campaign. It's based off of the earliest known map of North America by Tomaso Porcacchi of Venice from 1572. The original map can be found here: http://www.raremaps.com/cgi-bin/gallery.pl/detail/6821

The final civilizations will be based upon some history and my imagination creating an alternate history "New World." I'm trying to combine several different CC3 techniques to create a unique style, I'll post updates as the map progresses.

Comments welcome.

pyrandon
11-16-2007, 01:31 PM
I am VERY much interested in this! I have always been intrigued with the fantasy / horror / alternative colonial campaign idea...so I can't wait to see where you go next with this. Neat idea to take a model, too, and play with that!

töff
11-16-2007, 03:00 PM
"MONDO NVOVO" ... LOL, I think I get spam from him, about wanting to give me 19% of US$25mil if I send my bank numbers.

I love those old maps! I always wanted to emulate their style, but I ain't good enough and wind up getting sidetracked into a newer (obviously digital) style.

Looking forward to following this thread!

Skycast
11-16-2007, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the interest fellas; if I see this through to the end, this should be one of my biggest mapping projects. I'm great at getting started...not so good at finishing up!

Anyway, I'm not trying to emulate the style, just use the source for inspiration. The next update is below, added rivers and mountains as well as darkened the land color to blend in with the mountains.

Let me know what you think.

NeonKnight
11-16-2007, 03:50 PM
It is pretty sweet, except....

The slightly blurred coastling kind of jars with the crisp mountains/text. If the coastlines were crisp things would be good, either that, put a slight blur on the mountains/text.

Other than that, as I said.....sweet!

Midgardsormr
11-17-2007, 12:19 PM
I don't think the coasts are actually blurred--there's just a glow on them. Maybe adding a brown outline just slightly darker than the land would help?

jaerdaph
11-17-2007, 12:29 PM
Very nice work, Skycast. I like that you are mixing and matching elements from various CC3 products.

I'll echo the suggestion about turning down (or off) the Blur on the coastline.

On the mercator ocean background, I would also suggest playing around with the sheet effect settings on the OCEAN FILL sheet, perhaps turning down the Blur and turning up the Transparency.

Skycast
11-24-2007, 11:51 AM
After a bit of goof-off Googling this week I happened upon another map I find interesting and it got me wondering which of the two to use as a basis. What do you fellas think of this one instead of the original one?

jaerdaph
11-25-2007, 04:24 PM
After a bit of goof-off Googling this week I happened upon another map I find interesting and it got me wondering which of the two to use as a basis. What do you fellas think of this one instead of the original one?

It like that style very much. In the Tome of Ultimate Mapping from Profantasy there is a tutorial for creating that woodcut look around the coastlines (the closely packed horizontal lines).

You can see a sample CC2 overland map with that woodcut technique here (http://www.profantasy.com/library/default.asp?Keyword=tome+of+ultimate+mapping&PP=9&Start=55&Image=62).

ravells
11-27-2007, 05:51 AM
I prefer the second map - I think the mountain symbols are prettier.

Ravs

Skycast
11-28-2007, 03:50 PM
I've done some work here but I've also been struggling to come up with color combinations for the look and feel that I'm after so I decided to play around with some black and white. I like the look of what's here so far but am now struggling with what to do with the mountains.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

jaerdaph
11-29-2007, 01:06 AM
Looking very, very good. :) CC3 POWER!

If you have the Tome of Ultimate Mapping, check out that woodcut thing I mentioned earlier in the thread.

And, if you want to "antique" your map, try this:

1. Activate Sheet Effects
2. Under Effects that apply to... select Whole Drawing
3. Add RGB Matrix Process effect
4. On the RGB Matrix Data Entry dialog box, select Sepia from the Predefined... pull down list and click OK.

ravells
11-29-2007, 07:13 AM
This looks terrific! I especially like the way you have added the shading to the dark sections of the frame (there must be a proper name for this - Intended Project #563 - A post which sets out map nomenclature)

The choice of font is really lovely too.

As an experiment you might want to try adding the most subtle bit of noise to the sea - it may look good (it may not) but worth a try.

I'm so glad that SOMEONE is drawing a map which isn't photorealistic for a change! :p

Great stuff, I'll be following this one closely!

Ravs

Skycast
11-29-2007, 05:02 PM
The sepia-toned version is attached, pretty nifty looking...thanks. I'm not at all happy with the mountain symbols; ditto with any tree symbols that I've tested out so far.

I could find my copy of the Tome of Ultimate Mapping on my hard drive but am re-downloading it right now so I'll check it out.

Bohunk
11-29-2007, 09:11 PM
Reminds me of this one I quit because I could not do the mountains right. Hope you can figure it out.

Skycast
12-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Well, as Bohunk did, I'm having nothing but problems coming up with suitable mountains to fit the style. So I switched my focus to morphing the geography of this alternate history New World even further from the original map. I still have some holes to fill, but I've also started placing various location names and such; most will follow real world cultures and/or locations, but it may end up being a mish-mash of eras.

As for the map, I may switch to simply one of the existing CC3 styles, perhaps one of the ones from Symbol Set 1.

pyrandon
12-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Nice map, Skycast! I really like the darker seas. Man--your setting really intrigues me!

Don't get too frustrated, though, and finish her up--I didn't think the old symbols were THAT bad... :)

Keep working and let me know if I can help!

The Cartographist
12-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Skycast -- Looking at the sepia toned map, I think that your mountain symbols are fine; they just need to be tweaked a little. One problem is that their outline is a much thicker line than anything else on the map. If you thinned the outline width, I think that they'd look better. Also, the line that crosses the bottom of each really separates it from the surrounding land. I would suggest eliminating that bottom line. I really think that if you did those two things, the mountains would look much better.

ravells
12-06-2007, 06:23 PM
I think you're really being hard on yourself. These maps are beautiful. For the right mountains look up Eriwn Reisz. His mountain style will fit with your style of map.

Skycast
12-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Well, I've been playing around with a few things and wanted some symbol opinions if you gents would be so kind. Let me know which of the mountains (M1, M2, M3) and tree (T1, T2) symbols you prefer on the following map.

Thanks...

RobA
12-12-2007, 03:48 PM
I'll vote for M3 and T2.

-Rob A>

ravells
12-12-2007, 04:19 PM
I'm an M2 T2 man myself. (but I really like M1 as well)

pyrandon
12-12-2007, 05:29 PM
M2 & T2 for me as well. Both seem more in keeping with the era of the map: light & refined. I would also make sure to spread them out; Age of Exploration maps, I think, usually kept things airy & loose.

Wow--this map is really coming along!

terrainmonkey
12-12-2007, 06:47 PM
i'll say m1 and t2. i like that older looking style of mountain, and the trees, loose and sparse so you can name the forest and have the text readable.

great job so far. keep it up!

ravells
12-12-2007, 07:10 PM
lol...oh great! poor Skycast - no unanimity (apart from not T1). Which means...choose the one you like the best!

RPMiller
12-12-2007, 08:12 PM
M2 & T2 for me.

landorl
12-13-2007, 12:39 PM
I like T2, but am having a hard time deciding on which M to pick. I think that I might like M1 slightly more, but any would be good!

aeronox
12-18-2007, 07:12 PM
M2 & M3 look asian-styled, M1 looks generic. I think M1 will suit it better.

T2, if you can make them slightly more dense.

Skycast
01-14-2008, 03:24 PM
Been awhile since I revisted this map, but here's a closer final version with a name change...Novus Terrarum. Let me know what you think.

pyrandon
01-17-2008, 10:32 PM
I like it! Can you do something to blur the sharp (even pixelated) edges, though? They detract from the richness of the rest of the map.

Good work!