PDA

View Full Version : Hello, and thank you.

geth
08-31-2010, 11:04 PM
Stumbled here while looking for inspiration for a hand-drawn map I'm working on. This is a lovely site.

NeonKnight
09-01-2010, 12:03 AM
Welcome to the Guild!

Gallifreyan
09-01-2010, 12:05 AM
Welcome aboard! When you have a chance, post a thread in the WIP section so that we can see your map. :)

geth
09-01-2010, 02:15 PM
I would like that very much, thank you for the invitation. I'll have to see if I'm able to scan the picture, as I'm working on 11 x 14 paper. I've seen from the examples presented here that many people work entirely in PS/GIMP/CC3, etc.; is there any precedent for doing hand-drawn work as a base, and then moving into digital? I'm unsure how to marry the two styles, as 6B lead for mountains vs. a perfect brush-set might look disjointed.

Steel General
09-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Welcome Aboard!

NeonKnight
09-01-2010, 06:27 PM
I would like that very much, thank you for the invitation. I'll have to see if I'm able to scan the picture, as I'm working on 11 x 14 paper. I've seen from the examples presented here that many people work entirely in PS/GIMP/CC3, etc.; is there any precedent for doing hand-drawn work as a base, and then moving into digital? I'm unsure how to marry the two styles, as 6B lead for mountains vs. a perfect brush-set might look disjointed.

Well, a lot of my older maps were originally done decades ago as pen-&-paper maps. I then scanned them into the computer to import into CC3 to then remap.

geth
09-01-2010, 06:48 PM
I think I'd like to try this, if only to see how the digital media deals with shading and whatnot. Somewhat (read: hugely) intimidated to start messing with CC3.

On a side note, I'm immensely impressed with the community you have on this forum; I'm an admin for a largish MMO forum and after spending a few days here I'm rather tempted to ban my entire userbase and start from scratch. Please don't stop what you're doing!

tilt
09-02-2010, 04:23 AM
*lol*... well, this is a rather nice community we got here - don't think you'll find a better one anywhere on the web :) ... and welcome. If you're into handdrawn I guess you would be more confortable with Photoshop or GIMP and perhaps a tablet for drawing. Questions can be posted in the how-to section and your works in progress goes in the WIP for help and critique :) ... and we all love handdrawn maps as well ... but personally I find it hard to live without CRTL+Z ;)

mearrin69
09-07-2010, 02:41 AM
Heya, Geth, and welcome to the Guild.

My first map here (link (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?7539-Haibianr-by-mearrin69)) was hand-drawn on 14"x17" smooth bristol, scanned, and painted in PS. I sketched it in pencil and then inked it with pigment liners from Staedtler. My scanner's only (US) letter sized so I had to take the drawing to Kinkos (a US copy shop) to have it scanned. I think it cost me just a few dollars. Be sure to scan it in greyscale (I did black and white and it was a bit of a mess) and then bring that in as a layer in PS. Put it at the top of your stack and use the Multiply blend mode. I kept mine at 100% to start with and then turned it down to as low as I could live with for the final map. The nice thing about bringing your drawing into PS is that you can fix all of your inking mistakes! :) If you need some more help I can try to offer some more guidance...though I suspect others here have more experience than I.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your stuff.
M