PDA

View Full Version : Mistique

Djekspek
09-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Heya, I was trying out some faster ways of doing my Atlas-style maps. In stead of painting texture I did only existing texture stitching. Using this I don't have complete control over how it's gonne look, but the good thing is that it's pretty fast to make, as the landmass texturing only took about 1 hour :D Most time was now spend on landmass shape (hmm, a bit odd shaped) and the finishing effects... cheers!

Ramah
09-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Man alive, you just keep getting better and better. Another fantastic map DJ. Awesome.

tilt
09-03-2010, 11:06 AM
very dramatic looking.. great job :)

mearrin69
09-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Moody. Man, I dig your iso hand-drawn stuff but this grungy look is the bomb. Have some rep.
M

geamon
09-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Awesome style man. Easily a marketable product. I can so see this in a Lovecraft influenced gothic/fantasy setting in any RPG format. Have some rep.

Jaxilon
09-03-2010, 11:32 AM
It looks real good. It doesn't seem to have quite the depth in the mountains as some of your other work but that could be due to the zoom level shown and to be honest it's still one of the nicest maps around. You certainly make a great map DJ!

I'm don't understand what you mean by "I did only existing texture stitching" however. What do you mean by that cuz I may want to try that myself :)

Avengeil
09-03-2010, 12:03 PM
And yet another magnificent map.Rep is coming your way.

Steel General
09-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Cool stuff DJ!

Djekspek
09-03-2010, 12:58 PM
thanks guys! with "texture stitching" I mean, uh.. ok i'll try to explain. I pick a texture-picture that i like :) Basically any grunge, nature or whatever texture could be usefull. For personal-use-license there are many around the web. Then i desaturate it and feather the edges with a soft-brush eraser. Then I scale/warp/rotate it to fit the part of the map I want it. I then use that texture in an overlay-layer on my map (as a bump-map so to speak). I then rinse and repeat (with overlapping parts for smooth terrain transitions) untill I get something I like. cheers!

mearrin69
09-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Tutorial, please! :P That sounds like a cool technique but I'm not sure I get how to do it. If you ever get some time, and don't mind sharing, we'd love to benefit from your experience with this. We will give you cookies...and rep!
M

Ascension
09-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Ok, I think I quit now. :) This is a masterpiece.

Jaxilon
09-03-2010, 05:21 PM
thanks guys! with "texture stitching" I mean, uh.. ok i'll try to explain. I pick a texture-picture that i like :) Basically any grunge, nature or whatever texture could be usefull. For personal-use-license there are many around the web. Then i desaturate it and feather the edges with a soft-brush eraser. Then I scale/warp/rotate it to fit the part of the map I want it. I then use that texture in an overlay-layer on my map (as a bump-map so to speak). I then rinse and repeat (with overlapping parts for smooth terrain transitions) untill I get something I like. cheers!

Ok, that's something I've been doing a bit lately only I've been creating the texture with clouds or plasma, whatever, desaturated and used. I guess I should have shared that wip :) I did sort of run into a snag on mine though so for what it's worth it did not come out anything like yours :)

Dain
09-03-2010, 10:35 PM
That is indeed really impressive. Love the mood, love the scary aspect, love ... what? You did this in just 1 hour or so? Well I guess it's what makes the difference between pros and newbies like me ... :(
Great stuff!

Slipguard
09-04-2010, 03:03 AM
Wow, I like this a lot! I agree with everybody saying this has some mood to it. I think you could add more atmosphere to the mode by some sort of perspective booster, like clouds to look through or a grungy old wooden frame, you know to give it a sense of place. I really dig how you integrated the compass rose into the map. I don't get the sense that they are actually pointing north, but the thought of hiding the compass in the map had never occurred to me. I'm learning so much from this thread!
I might try your blurred texture fitting technique, but I notice it lacks the definition needed for mountain peaks or cliffs. But, you know, one more tech for the toolbox!

Aenigma
09-04-2010, 07:56 AM
Sweet baby Jesus :P
Simply awesome work!

bartmoss
09-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Awesome coastlines. But to be honest I find the map to be too dark. In addition, the lettering in the north and SW are kinda hard to read. :-(

Djekspek
09-06-2010, 08:37 PM
thanks guys. Dain, I didn't make this one in 1 hour, only the landmass textures were done in one hour (the complete map took about 4-6 hours I think). Mearrin, I may extend the tutorial I am working with this technique (oh yeah... need to work on that as well .. WTB more time :). And bartmoss, you're absolutely right about the labels (my poor excuse: didn't have the patience to work on them as I was focusing on texture-use for this one ;) cheers!

ravells
09-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Is there anything you can't do? Dj? You're talents are just endless. Beautiful........just.....amazing. And to do this in 4-6 hours...wow.

Sapiento
09-07-2010, 03:25 AM
A truly impressive style.