PDA

View Full Version : [Withdrawn] September-October Challenge:Taur Cordof

Coyotemax
09-04-2010, 03:45 AM
Holding place while I get things started... if I make the post, I have a better chance of keeping myself going on it.
I'm thinking a line-drawn map, minimal colour, lots of hand drawn elements showing the lands surrounding the Elven city of Taur Cordof (Big Apple) in a Tolkien-esque style :)
I'm also considering something a bit darker - like my DarkLands map style to draw out the city.. but that's for another post!

You wouldn't believe how hard it was to get Big Apple translated into Elvish :)

tilt
09-04-2010, 05:44 AM
sounds like a great idea... and damn you're all quick in entering, I've barely thought about what to map yet (other than NY) *lol*

mearrin69
09-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Wow. An Elvish metropolis? This I gotta see. Please tell me Jersey City is where the orcs live?
M

Redrobes
09-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Just a small point - you gotta be careful posting a wip tag like that. If you put just hash hash hash no wip hash hash hash then it tells the scraper not to do one for this thread. I.e. prob better to edit it out when you get around to putting one in !

Coyotemax
09-05-2010, 02:44 AM
Eeps! didn't know that, thanks for the info, noted and edited! I'm starting on map tonight!

tilt
09-05-2010, 04:42 AM
Just a small point - you gotta be careful posting a wip tag like that. If you put just hash hash hash no wip hash hash hash then it tells the scraper not to do one for this thread. I.e. prob better to edit it out when you get around to putting one in !

good to know, maybe you should put that in the description of the competition rules... and perhaps you should make the note about the hashhash... tags in the first post in te rules thread instead of the fifth :)

Coyotemax
09-05-2010, 06:17 AM
Ok, here goes.
So I'm not planning on colouring this one, coloured base and guides are skipped :)
Grabbed a few brushes so i can scatter/stamp and get the basic layout placed after tracing out shorelines and some major lakes and rivers. Wow, don't my city sketches suck?

Not the final font, but makes a half decent test :)

Now the fun/hair-tearing part.. drawing in all that lovely detail by hand , deciding on locations to add, deciding on extra details to add (creature notes, paths and roads, that sort of thing).. and then doing elvish-english translations for flavour!
Rereading the challenge description, I notice that my focus is a bit larger than the original scope (the whole state, not just the city), but I'm planning on referencing the city itself in more detail when I add the cartouche and other embellishments. And anyone familiar with the state (ie anyone who lives near or in) should recognize it at a glance with no difficulty.

### LATEST WIP ###

tilt
09-05-2010, 06:34 AM
looking good C - good base colors, I'd lighten the black a little, but you probably will :)

Coyotemax
09-05-2010, 06:45 AM
you're right on both counts :)

Avengeil
09-05-2010, 07:54 AM
I can't imagine how hard it will be to translate everything to elven.Good luck for the whole project.

Steel General
09-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Look's like I would have grown up near Yak's Bend! :D

mearrin69
09-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Aha! So the orcs DO live on the Jersey side. Now, how do you translate "The Situation" into orcish? You'll want to name the leader that. :) Great looking map...and cool concept.
M

Coyotemax
09-06-2010, 07:49 AM
Not much in the way of drawing updates, the wife had her own ideas on what I should be doing tonight.

I started placing out some labels and testing fonts and such. I'm going to do a bit of research for translations later, or maybe I'll leave the city names as they are.
It's hard to decide, but since I decided on Taur Cordof, it's hard to go back now.

mearrin69
09-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Definitely liking the small font. I can't imagine translating Syracuse into Elven? Have to find out what the original word means? Check this out: http://www.sacklunch.net/placenames/S/Syracuse.html. From "syraco" -> "to stink". LOL.
M

Rythal
09-06-2010, 02:04 PM
looks pretty good... except that you've labeled lake Ontario as lake Erie :)

Coyotemax
09-06-2010, 03:28 PM
i blame sleep dep :P

Coyotemax
09-07-2010, 06:01 AM
Still working over the shoreline rings.. but now they're in it's starting to look more like a map and less like a scribble :)

I haven't decided wether to just clean up what I have or redo from scratch. I'm leaning toward the former though.

I'm happy with the number of cities I'm putting in - plus that means less research to translate the original meanings, heh. I took a few liberties with shorelines and smaller islands for the sake of artistic interpretation, but I think the idea still comes acrss well. I had an idea - some of the older maps I've seen have small maps of some of the main cities featured, I figure I can do that in the bottom left and bring the focus of the map back to the challenge.

I also toyed with the idea of using one of the elvish script fonts (Tengwar, etc) but I think I'll stick with the english character font for purposes of the challenge... I'll likely make a second one with the Elvish script for them that might want it, shouldn't be hard at that point :)

I faded the linework a bit to get a better idea of the direction this will take, i think it's rather nice like this. I might start on a second map so i can distract myself from the tedium of hand drawing all the mountains ;) The most annoying thing right now is being back to work fulltime,... but this is what I *REALLY* want to be doing!

### LATEST WIP ###

Coyotemax
09-08-2010, 02:45 AM
I took out the textures for now, they'll be subtle enough over the long run anyhow.. I needed to merge things to a white layer to run a filter I needed for the shorelines and rivers.

I think I'm going to label the text in there first, so i can draw the terrain and forest completely around them. Of course that means I'm going to need to start researching things and then make translations earlier than I expected.

### LATEST WIP ###

tilt
09-08-2010, 04:17 AM
hmmm.. link doesn't work - but the thumb looks great :)

Steel General
09-08-2010, 09:11 AM
If I remember my geography correctly, the as-yet-unnamed river north of buffalo is actually the Erie Canal/Ellicot Creek.

Coyotemax
10-24-2010, 01:03 PM
Ok, this is my official withdrawl from the competition, i'm never going to get this done in time.

On the plus side, the reason for my lack of time is that the wife and i are preparing to open a restaurant - laying in all the groundwork while we're both working fulltime jobs leaves me with no time or energy for this. I tried making a post about it once or twice previously, but I would go to save and something would happen and the post would go to the void, and i hate retyping long stories :)

Good luck to everyone, I see amazing maps waiting to display.

torstan
10-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Sorry to hear it, as this was looking really nice. I have to say I rather like it as is!

Hope the restaurant goes well - that's very exciting indeed. What type of cuisine?

Coyotemax
10-24-2010, 05:53 PM
Slow smoked BBQ ribs, pulled pork, chicken, and brisket.
We've been perfecting the recipes, we finally hit on the best ever baked beans recipe last night :)

Steel General
10-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Good luck on your restaurant...

Ascension
10-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Good luck, bro.

Rythal
10-24-2010, 10:40 PM
mmmm sounds delicious; good luck!

RobA
10-27-2010, 01:04 AM
Ok, this is my official withdrawl from the competition, i'm never going to get this done in time.

On the plus side, the reason for my lack of time is that the wife and i are preparing to open a restaurant - laying in all the groundwork while we're both working fulltime jobs leaves me with no time or energy for this. I tried making a post about it once or twice previously, but I would go to save and something would happen and the post would go to the void, and i hate retyping long stories :)

Good luck to everyone, I see amazing maps waiting to display.

Let us know where and when! I travel a fair bit and love good food ;)

-Rob A>

Jaxilon
10-27-2010, 01:47 AM
I feel a challenge coming on: A "map to Coyotemax's BBQ resturant" :)

tilt
10-27-2010, 05:02 AM
I'm with torstan, I like it as it is too :)
and good luck with the restaurant - remember to tell us more when you get it started so we can visit if we ever come to your neighbourhood. :)