PDA

View Full Version : My World of Naerth Map; Redone

Aval Penworth
09-04-2010, 08:42 AM
I had some extra time so, inspired by this mornings experimentations (http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28831&d=1283580277), I have redone my world map (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?9909-Naerth-A-Map-of-the-World) in a different style. I don't know when I will find the time to label the 230 cities. But here it is so far.

bartmoss
09-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Nice, I like it.

Aval Penworth
09-04-2010, 10:40 AM
So I stayed up all night to do the labels . It was the only way I was gonna get them done.

Diamond
09-04-2010, 08:42 PM
So I stayed up all night to do the labels . It was the only way I was gonna get them done.

To that, I can only reply with a quote from Constantin Brancusi:

"Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

:D

Aval Penworth
09-05-2010, 06:40 AM
Hmm, wise words.

Where do you get this stuff?:twisted:

Marken4
09-05-2010, 07:21 AM
Is your labels inspired by the real world?

"Scania" in the north (Scandinavia) - with names like Tjergrevaggen and Hugaffen
"Sygia" in the south (Stygia, Egypt?)
"Espania" (Spania) - with names like Escaria and De Barcella

Steel General
09-05-2010, 08:07 AM
It looks quite good, the only thing I might suggest changing would be the size of the city markers. They're a bit large in my opinion.

tilt
09-05-2010, 09:51 AM
nice work aval - when I saw the first image I thought.. that's a lot of labels, and then I scrolled down and you did'm all ... wow :)

Aval Penworth
09-05-2010, 11:10 AM
@ Marken4: Yes, it makes it easy for my players to get a feel for the language and culture. I play up cultural the sterotypes in the game.

@ Steel General: Yeah, you have a point.

@ Tilt: I already had all the names, from previous versions. I just had to put them on, but it still took a while. I am just glad to have a single map with all the cities now.

I am working so much at the moment, I thought to myself if I don't get in finished tonight it will be another 3 months before I get another chance:)

Aval Penworth
09-07-2010, 12:05 AM
For a crazy couple of hours I got the idea into my head that I could do a detailed map of each of the squares on my world map. I got three looking okay. I forgot the write down how I did everything on the first tile, so the style is progressivle changing. Does that matter? Eh? At least I've enjoyed the experience. Before Saturday I hadn't opened photoshop in over a month so it was nice to have a play. Another 70 Hour work week starts in a few minutes...ah well...

Here's what I came up with.:roll:

tilt
09-08-2010, 03:23 AM
wow - big job ahead of you... the woods are a little "shiny", but otherwise looking good :)

Aval Penworth
09-08-2010, 05:20 AM
wow - big job ahead of you... the woods are a little "shiny", but otherwise looking good :)

Yeah I think I will change the woods to a better pattern and turn off the highlight layer. I was quite sleep deprived when I made them and have since noted a few things to change. Thanks for the compasses, by the way.

Like I said, it was a crazy idea...I don't think I will actually go through with mapping each tile. I'll just do one from time to time as my Rolemaster game requires it.

tilt
09-08-2010, 05:42 AM
you're very welcome - glad to see people using them :)

map the tiles as they will be used sounds like a good plan. So just kill of the players horses so they don't move around so fast... The famous "Horse Plague of Naerth" ;)