PDA

View Full Version : September-October Challenge: Zombies in Central Park!

Immolate
09-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Figured I'd better nail down this post title because it's so obvious and I don't want any of yous guys ninja'ing my theme.

No WIP yet, just staking my claim.

mearrin69
09-04-2010, 05:08 PM
LOL. Looks like a lot of us are going for the P-A theme. Zombies am good. Looking forward to it.
M

Ramah
09-04-2010, 05:42 PM
Hehe. I myself was thinking of an alien attack theme, a la Mars Attacks kinda styling. Doubt I'll get to it though.

tilt
09-05-2010, 04:57 AM
yeah! Zombies... gotta love that :) ... curious though as how to portray them mapwise?

Immolate
09-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Wouldn't you like to know...

Actually I'd like to know too. This is a problem.

mearrin69
09-06-2010, 12:37 AM
Do it with a textured satellite-style and show the zombies as a grey-black texture carpeting the "walkable" areas of the city, pressing towards the tunnels and the bridges as they search for food now that the city itself is devoid of life. You can throw in some cars, trucks, tanks, treetops, lightposts, etc. for interest. Actually, I sort of started thinking about that as a bit of a joke...but I think it might work. Ever read World War Z?
M

Immolate
09-07-2010, 01:51 AM
Initial entry of my map and alas, it will probably have a deficit of zombies. It is done in split-map format using a style of nineteenth century map that I find very appealing. of course it is yet to be seen whether I capture that style adequately or just make it look weird. Commentary is, as always, welcome.

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
09-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Don't zombies already live there? :)

Immolate
09-10-2010, 01:28 AM
Update! I've changed the zigzag join to something I like better. Labeled the water bodies and also changed the water texture. Finally, I added many street labels although there is still much to do. I also have to label the buildings and the attractions, add in some feature markers, etc. The map should look crowded, but it will be a challenge with the park as opposed to the rest of the city.

### Latest WIP ###

torstan
09-10-2010, 09:44 AM
Looking good - I like your choice to change out the water lines for some darker shading. Still smarting at the lack of zombies though... This would look great with a large bloodstain and splodge of brains :)

cereth
09-10-2010, 10:37 AM
I like the water texture a lot. Looking really good so far. Can't wait to see where it goes from here.

Immolate
09-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Okay we've replaced the paths (FYI paths in Central Park are very substantial paved surfaces) from a source that had more of them documented. I've added a border and labeled all of the major streets. Plenty of steps left so I'm not going to try to forecast them.

### Latest WIP ###

mearrin69
09-12-2010, 12:45 AM
Looking good. Where's teh zombeez? :)
M

Juggernaut1981
09-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Central Park West...

tilt
09-13-2010, 07:26 AM
looks very nice.. love the border.. and the new avatar :)

Immolate
09-13-2010, 09:29 PM
One of the hazards of working on real world locations is that, sooner or later, you begin to become very knowledgeable about the subject, and at some point you may decide that your earlier information was so flawed that you have to scrap and restart. I'm sort of at that stage now, for the second time on this map. i've scrapped the streets and paths and I'm redoing them, painfully. I'm loving the results though and hope to have something to show for it tonight or tomorrow.

RecklessEnthusiasm
09-15-2010, 01:08 AM
Maybe it could be a map FOR zombies, with dining tips: "Area a--mainly hipster. difficult to catch on their mopeds, unsatisfying braaaaaains not worth it."

Ascension
09-15-2010, 01:21 AM
Now that's a great idea...sort of a zombie dining guide to New York. Hey, I finally have an idea I can work with :)

Juggernaut1981
09-15-2010, 03:11 AM
You could easily adapt it to other "species" as well. Create the "Undead Food Guide for NYC..." as your theme...

tilt
09-15-2010, 01:20 PM
we don't like undead - we prefer "living impaired" *lol*

mearrin69
09-15-2010, 01:31 PM
That's the PC way to put it. "Undying" would be the more Twilight-style super emo way. So, which is more important these days? :)
M

rdanhenry
09-15-2010, 09:15 PM
"Metabolically Challenged" is the correct term. "Grave-shirkers" is the currently favored epithet to hurl at undead. Zombies really don't notice what you call them, of course, but some vampires can get quite snippy about it.

Juggernaut1981
09-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Well I hereby apologise to the following niche social groups with loud lobby groups...

- All members of the Corporeally Challenged Community
- All members of the Eternal Restingly Challenged Community
- All members of the Haemologically Dietarily Constrained Community
- All those who have Cranial Dietary Requirements
- All those who are Soft-Tissue Impaired
- Any other member who identifies themselves as a member of a community with a Grave Impairment or a Afterlife-Impairment

jtougas
09-15-2010, 10:43 PM
*the thief checks the list to see if any of the protected groups he belongs to are on it. Seeing none he realizes he had better get out of here before someone on that list shows up....*

tilt
09-16-2010, 04:10 AM
Well I hereby apologise to the following niche social groups with loud lobby groups...

- All members of the Corporeally Challenged Community
- All members of the Eternal Restingly Challenged Community
- All members of the Haemologically Dietarily Constrained Community
- All those who have Cranial Dietary Requirements
- All those who are Soft-Tissue Impaired
- Any other member who identifies themselves as a member of a community with a Grave Impairment or a Afterlife-Impairment

*ROFL* ... thanks for that one...

and Imm, when are the zombies arriving? ... can't wait to see what you come up with :)

Immolate
09-16-2010, 08:45 AM
Meh... school, D&D night on Wednesdays, road rework... I been BUSY! Did I mention working for a living? I've actually put in a lot of hours since the last update, but haven't had a chance to save off and upload the results. I will soon though, and no zombies yet. Plenty of ideas thought :)

tilt
09-16-2010, 10:45 AM
work is sooo overrated.. I try to do as little of it as possible *lol*

mearrin69
09-16-2010, 09:38 PM
Work is the curse of the drinking...erm, mapping...class.
M

Immolate
09-18-2010, 03:11 AM
Well it's 2am and about time I updated the map. I won't try to call out every change I've made, as there have been so many that the map is pretty much completely different except some background textures.

### Latest WIP ###

tilt
09-18-2010, 03:23 AM
looks really good - love the little statues perhaps the shadows should be a tad lighter, and you forgot a shadow on alice in wonderland :)

Gallifreyan
09-18-2010, 03:35 AM
Wow, that is a terrific map!! The statue kinda interferes with the text at the Hans Christian Anderson statue and you labeled The Point as "THe Point".

Good night Immolate!

Immolate
09-18-2010, 11:13 AM
Text positioning is one big job left and I'm trying to put in custom statues where the subject is a bit whimsical, which is turning out ot be a lot of them. For Alice, the statue is just too big to reproduce and still be recognizable, so I took a segment of it. Doesn't make sense to shadow a segment. Shadows were at 75% but they do look too dark.

mearrin69
09-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Wow. Yeah. It is a different map...an awesomely different map. So. Where are our zombies? We want zombies. :)
M

ravells
09-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Absolutely beautiful! Really.

Immolate
09-20-2010, 01:21 AM
Added some picture plates of favorite attractions to the map. Replaced a number of statues with images based on the actual piece rather than a generic little colonial fat dude. Many small tweaks to various opacities and noise levels. Added some missing arches, bridges, etc. Lots of bug-swatting on labels.

### Latest WIP ###

Immolate
09-22-2010, 01:19 AM
Added buildings and changed some statues to actuals. Not thrilled with the buildings and I think I need a better source for them. I still have ballfields and playgrounds and a few other "areas" to add.

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
09-22-2010, 05:58 PM
This is looking real nice, bro.

tilt
09-23-2010, 03:19 AM
actually, if I were working for Central Park - i'd want to buy that to sell to my customers or put in brochures or both :)

rdanhenry
09-23-2010, 09:02 PM
I don't think this even needs zombies. Although you could make it into two entries: Central Park and Central Park: Zombie Apocalypse Edition.

Immolate
09-26-2010, 01:16 AM
I haven't been able to spend as much time as I'd like on the map lately, but here is an update with all but three of the statues replaced by their actual images. I also replaced the cut-out I had of alice with the actual statue, which took time, but then so did th Untemeyer fountain in the Northwest area of the park.

I replaced the existing Sherman statue with a new one with better contrast.

### Latest WIP ###

ennob
09-26-2010, 06:49 AM
Very impressive!

The toned down text looks a lot better. The text on the red roads could still use a bit of tweaking.

ravells
09-26-2010, 06:54 AM
Wow....this is so beautiful. I don't know much about Central Park, but if this is an accurate map of what is there, I'd be tempted drop the whole Zombie thing and just have it as a map of Central Park as it is.

Sapiento
09-26-2010, 08:34 AM
Very fine. It's Ludwig van Beethoven, not von.

Sapiento
09-26-2010, 08:35 AM
Very fine. It's Ludwig van Beethoven, not von, if that's the composer.

Immolate
09-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Yeah don't look too hard for the zombies. FYI this is a faithful (to the best of my abilities) reproduction of the park as it is today, and yeah, I told my wife we need ot spend a week in Central Park before we die. I'd like to walk every trail and take a picture of everything. Not practical as the distances are too great, but it would be fun.

Thanks for pointing out the typo. Not sure if the typo came from the sources or if I introduced it.

Immolate
09-26-2010, 11:41 PM
I think I'm probably at a release candidate stage with this map. I appreciate any nit-picking that others can do to improve it, but I know full-well that the burden of nit-picking rests upon me. Statues changed and added... complete. Areas added... complete. I added some larger names for large-scale zones. Countless minor tweaks of name placement or correcting misspellings etc.

### Latest WIP ###

Jaxilon
09-27-2010, 02:59 AM
That's a real nice map dude. Definitely one of the best.

ennob
09-27-2010, 05:49 AM
I have a few comments in the nit-picking department.

- I find the new big names are a bit hard to read. Maybe you could try to darken them a bit or give them an outline (like how you did "north" and "south").
- Have you tries to use a different font for the names of the red roads? Maybe the same sans-serif font you use for statues and place names.
- The label of the road that ends in E102 st. doesn't follow the curvature of the road.

These are small things. The map is almost perfect as is. Very nice job!

Immolate
09-29-2010, 12:35 AM
I made some changes to address your observations. Please let me know what you think.

### Latest WIP ###

Aval Penworth
09-29-2010, 01:21 AM
Excellent map. If this map had been available when I was in New York I would have bought it.

nit-pick = 72nd St STRAVERSE

ravells
09-29-2010, 04:42 AM
My only Nitpick is the placement of the 'South' and 'North' labels. Not knowing Central Park at all, at first I didn't realise at first that it had been split into two and it looked like the 'South' and 'North' labels were directional, which kind of confused me. Maybe have them both horizontally aligned either at the top or the bottom of the map? 'South Side' and 'North Side' or 'Upper' and 'Lower' might help ease the confusion for dumbos like me too!

ennob
09-29-2010, 10:35 AM
I just noticed that "Fred Douglass Circle" (the roundabout in the north west corner of your map) has a road going strait through it. According to Google maps it shouldn't.

Immolate
10-01-2010, 12:31 AM
Thanks for all of the excellent suggestions. I resisted the temptation to go beyond them. I want to start another map this weekend if I can manage it.

### Latest WIP ###

Immolate
10-02-2010, 02:15 AM
I'm calling this one finished Torstan and moving on to the next map. Thanks everyone for all the help!!!

Mrmox42
10-19-2010, 06:19 AM
Good heavens. Thats fantastic. Nice job.

tilt
10-19-2010, 06:29 AM
thats a beautiful map Imm, only criticism is the text "to the north" and "to the south" - the font ruins the otherwise beautiful look, you need a good firm font for that, like the other you use :)

Immolate
10-19-2010, 11:55 PM
I always try to be as responsive as possible to criticism Tilt, to the point of letting ties go to the commenter. The reason is that a cartographer's relationship with a map becomes far too close for complete objectivity, and it is always useful to encourage parcipation, and therefore perspective, from others. In this case, as soon as you said it, I could see it. See if you agree that this is more suitable to the overall style.

### Latest WIP ###

davidwillson
10-20-2010, 02:15 AM
LOL. Looks like a lot of us are going for the P-A theme. Zombies am good. Looking forward to it.
M

Hehe. I myself was thinking of an alien attack theme, a la Mars Attacks kinda styling. Doubt I'll get to it though.

tilt
10-21-2010, 03:58 AM
much better Imm, its a damn beautiful map :)