PDA

View Full Version : September-October Challenge: USS New York

RecklessEnthusiasm
09-05-2010, 05:41 AM
Okay, I really like the idea and the opportunity, so I am going to try and participate--let's hope I can finish it.

My idea: The earth has become uninhabitable, resulting in the launch of several massive City-Ships. The USS New York, five connected domes each corresponding to one borough, heads up the fleet of American city-ships. Her figure head, (the statue of) Liberty points the way toward the stars and a bright future.

Coyotemax
09-05-2010, 06:03 AM
That's so messed up! I love it!!

tilt
09-05-2010, 06:35 AM
NICE! .. looking very much forward to seing this... good to have you enter my friend :)

Avengeil
09-05-2010, 07:55 AM
Now that's a really interesting idea.Can't wait to see the result.

Steel General
09-05-2010, 09:08 AM
Great idea...looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

RecklessEnthusiasm
09-05-2010, 10:27 AM
I'm trying to get a rough shape for the city-ship's structure before I start doing the domed city bits themselves. I think I've decided that I want the ship to slightly resemble a giant eagle (U.S.A.!) but I am thinking I might have to throw the design out though because, hey, where did earth come up with all this metal? Strip-mined the core? Melted down every last Ipod?

tilt
09-05-2010, 10:41 AM
they scrapped all the old cars ;)

Gallifreyan
09-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Great idea! It kinda reminds me of the Starship UK from Doctor Who. But at least it is a more positive P-A themed map.

RecklessEnthusiasm
09-05-2010, 03:13 PM
An update. I plan to use this as a splashy image, then do some supplemental stuff like subway lines, overhead blueprints, flavor text to make it more mappy. Still have to add the statue of liberty as the figurehead, hopefully will do something neat with the NY city flag (which has an eagle on it so it should fit thematically)

I have the model as it is now below and popped it into PS for some really rough quick effect to kind of show what I'm thinking of. I still need to generate a nicer texture for the ship's metal, but that will be work for tomorrow.

I could reeeally use some advice or C&C if anyone has any.

Also: Any ideas where to get high resolution satellite images of NY?

Steel General
09-06-2010, 10:39 AM
...but I am thinking I might have to throw the design out though because, hey, where did earth come up with all this metal? Strip-mined the core? Melted down every last Ipod?

Transparent Aluminum? :)

tilt
09-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Transparent Aluminum? :)
hehe... that was a funny movie.. :)

a lot of small bumps and stuff on the hull - thats always nice, especially taking into account the scale of the thing...

"Look at the size of that thing... " & "Thats not a moon, that's a space station" ;)

RecklessEnthusiasm
09-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Just refining the design. I am thinking over how to arrange the landmasses inside the domes. Having them just suspended in water like islands doesn't look quite right. Hm, I'll have to figure something out.

RecklessEnthusiasm
09-08-2010, 03:31 PM
I think that one of the downsides of so many entries is that people have less time to give C&C on each individual one! Oh well. Here is a layout I am working on. I am now trying to figure out how best to include various supplemental images/maps without it being too busy or huge.. Hm.

tilt
09-08-2010, 05:28 PM
hmmmm only loads the top inch.. but the thumb looks really cool :)

Gallifreyan
09-08-2010, 05:39 PM
The attachment opened for me in Chrome and it looks really amazing!

mearrin69
09-08-2010, 06:56 PM
I can see it as well. Looks great. Can't really see much to C&C except:
1) The stars could use a bit of work IMO. Maybe brighten up the whole field and add some slight color variation? I wouldn't think you'd want grey stars in there...let the size govern a star's "apparent magnitude"? Also, maybe some flares on closer ones? Maybe that's not realistic but it's a well-worn sci-fi convention.
2) I assume these ships are trying to get somewhere they can settle so shouldn't they be in deep space instead of floating above a habitable planet? Or, is your story that they've finally reached their destination. If that's the case I definitely think you should include some fireworks in the domes! :)
I like your ship design. Reminds me, of course, of the Valley Forge from Silent Running.
M

Steel General
09-08-2010, 07:19 PM
I agree w/Mearrin re: the stars, they might be a bit 'over-the-top' *shrugs*

RecklessEnthusiasm
09-09-2010, 06:34 AM
Thanks for useful C&C. I'll brighten up the stars, maybe use them a little more sparingly, I also saw I have some weird black boxes coming off the hull of the angled-view which I'll clean up.

Mearring69: Good point about the planet. I did make it look habitable--would it fit more if they were flying over an ominous-looking gas giant? I just wanted something to add a splash of color to the background.

All this shipbuilding is making me really want to enter that badass Deviant-art contest for EVE online. I could really use a wacom tablet....

mearrin69
09-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Yeah. I think a gas giant or hell world or something would do that. I did kind of like the idea that they'd arrived and were celebrating. :) Kinda hard to convey that in the map...and it's sorta weird to hit people with denouement in the first frame, as it were. Heh. Maps with plot. Who'da thunk?
M

RecklessEnthusiasm
09-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Okay, I think I am very nearly finished with this (I always hesitate to say I actually am finished). This may very well be the fastest I've ever completed a work, and the most fun I've had on one as well. I guess I have no excuse (except for my ten other projects) but to do another map of two before this competition closes. Anyway, I would love to know what people think, and if there are any glaring problems that, as the artist, my eyes slide over without noting. I think I incorporated all the C&C that people left: fixed up the issues with the star field that people commented on, added the bumps and gnarly 'bumpy' textures that tilt recommended. I decided they mined all the metal from the asteroid belt to come up with all the raw materials (not that anyone was likely to ask). This is my second attempt at using 3D elements in my mapping. Also, this has really given me an appetite to try and design more ships. I think I might give that awesome Deviant-art spaceship design contest for EVE online a shot. Anyway, The ship was designed in Sketchup, textures from Genetica, layouts and effects added in Photoshop. I really really want to learn to use other, more 'professional' 3D software packages, but Sketchup is so dang easy and does about 70% of what I want it to do that it is hard to find the motivation.

I was kind of trying to go for a slightly "retro" look with the screen on the bottom half, I hope it came across and looks nice without looking cheesy or out of place. I also hope I didn't overdo it with the implied back story bio--it is a lot of space to use for flavor text, but I wanted it to sort of look like a schematic crossed with a Wikipedia entry.

I would really love to hear what people think!

torstan
09-09-2010, 03:33 PM
I like it!

I think it's good to go as is (but Staten Island for command? Really? :) ). If you want to tweak, the I'd suggest a little more work on the star field. We've got very used to glorious nebulae backdrops from games like Eve and a flat dotted star field stands a bit. If nothing else I'd throw a bit of a glow on the stars to vary them a touch from straightforward white dots. Also - the flag. Any reason for it to be the French flag?

I love the fact that you can see lady liberty in silhouette in thefull iso view - but I had to reall look for her. Is there a way of having the figurehead detail clearly pulled out from there? I was struggling to read the detail view as it was.

I like the wikipedia style entry - and I think the green wireframe schematics work really well. I'm really impressed, and even more so when you said this was done without a tablet!

Let me be the first to rep you for the first complete entry!

RecklessEnthusiasm
09-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Torstan - That is a lot of excellent advice--this is why I hesitate to call things done. There is always more touching up to do!

I will try to pretty up the backdrop more. I put a light "glow" on the stars as I didn't want to overdo them (I was trying to imagine that stars from Earth orbit, which is, artistically speaking, the exact wrong thing to do...) but I think you're right. Some nebulae might add some more 'splash' to the image.

The flag is actually the New York City flag, but my girlfriend asked the same question... The NY flag has an orange band rather than a red one, and the blue crest in the middle (though I see now the image I used has a redder tone than orange--I'll fix that). Knowing that, would you suggest I remove it? If that is everyone's first question, it might not matter whether it is the right flag or not.

I am not sure what to do about lady liberty--I have her zoomed a little as one of the images on the bottom 'info' part, but maybe that isn't enough. I am not sure what else to do though: Maybe I could make that bigger or try to come up with another way to present it. Hmm.

Thanks again, I'll get back to work!

tilt
09-09-2010, 05:07 PM
that looks really cool... never thought much of using sketchup for anything - tried to model my house once, but didn't really get it to do what I wanted without reading the manual, so I dropped it *lol*
great job

Juggernaut1981
09-09-2010, 10:52 PM
I felt the need to Rep-Noodle that WIP Reckless...
It's purdy...

RecklessEnthusiasm
09-10-2010, 12:57 AM
Tilt - I know what you mean. Honestly though, after watching maybe 30 minutes of tutorials on youtube, it all pretty much clicked. But like I said, it isn't pro-level software and it can't do a lot of the cool things other programs have, which means I've got to do more in photoshop afterward. Oh well.

Juggernaut - I appreciate it, so long as "rep noodle" isn't a euphemism with darker implications than I think!

So, being not quite as done as I thought, here is a new WIP. I will still try to think of a way to feature the Statue of Liberty a little more prominently, and I might add just a tiny bit of HUD information (rings, text) around the planet. I'd be happy to hear about anything else I should look into altering!

### Latest WIP ###

mearrin69
09-10-2010, 01:03 AM
I like the new background. Guess I'd better rep you now before I forget! :)
M

Juggernaut1981
09-10-2010, 02:35 AM
But but but... I want to rep-noodle this too... *pouts* Time to go rep-noodle other people some more...

Steel General
09-10-2010, 09:23 AM
Well done R.E.! I would give you a dose of rep myself, but it seems I need to spread some more around first...

RecklessEnthusiasm
09-10-2010, 09:28 AM
No sweat, SG. It is the thought that counts! Although I'd be lying if my mouth wasn't watering at the thought of that fourth little green box--I believe it is about ten rep points away! Is there a list anywhere of what descriptions come with each benchmark? One day I aspire to being a "splendid one to behold" like you, SG.

Steel General
09-10-2010, 09:32 AM
Thanks... RobA might be able to provide the list of rep 'titles'... it may even be customizable like the "Guild" titles.

RecklessEnthusiasm
10-21-2010, 07:06 AM
Darn, I sure wanted to do a couple more maps but I just never found the inspiration or the time. Oh well. If anyone spots anything else I should tweak before the deadline hits, let me know-- also, is there a recommended resolution? I imagine those big screens are probably only putting out 1080P, but I am not sure what size the prints are being done on. I can always upload a larger version if need be.

Edit: Uploaded bigger resolution final version.
Edit again: fixed a spelling mistake (thanks rdanhenry)

### Latest WIP ###

rdanhenry
10-24-2010, 12:55 PM
"Civilion" should be "Civilian" (sector color guides)

torstan
10-24-2010, 01:18 PM
The screens are actually pretty low res, but the higher the resolution, the prettier it will be.