PDA

View Full Version : September-October Challenge: Never York

cereth
09-05-2010, 11:57 AM
I have a few ideas for this challenge, and I think I'm going with this one first. Never York will be New York as seen through the eyes of the Fae. It will be an alternate dimension that mirrors our own world, albeit twisted and strange. Important New York landmarks will have slightly different counterparts in the mirror world. The mirror world will reflect the feelings and emotions these landmarks evoke in the real world.

I don't have a WIP yet as I'm still toying around with the look of the map and am trying to nail down what kind of view I'm going to use. I'm experimenting with a couple looks at the moment and haven't liked anything enough not to delete it. I like the concept though, so I'm going to keep battling. :)

tilt
09-05-2010, 12:57 PM
sounds like a great idea... are you going to showcase both worlds or just the fae one?

mearrin69
09-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Sounds cool. I can't envision it so I'm looking forward to seeing it.
M

Coyotemax
09-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Cereth: nice concept, I'm actually heading that direction myself, with the tolkien map :) I look forward to seeing what you do with it!

cereth
09-06-2010, 10:24 AM
I'm going to show both worlds side by side. I'm thinking actually of making it look like a two sided map...on one side "New York" and on the other side "Never York". Stains on one side would show through on the other side...writing might bleed through from one side to the other, etc. I'm setting the map in the late 19th century, gaslight type era. (I'm thinking "Through the Looking Glass" meets "Cthulhu"). The "New York" side of the map will kind of be an "Occultist's map of New York" showing points of Arcane interest and areas where boundaries between the real world and the other are weakest. "Never York" will mirror the New York side but be twisted and dark...these won't be happy or fun type Faeries. I'm thinking of mimicking the city streets of New York with a dark and foreboding labyrinth.

Here is my first WIP showing my progress on the New York City half of the map.

### Latest WIP ###

cereth
09-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Now that I'm looking at it, I think I want to extend the top up a couple inches and make the map more narrow. I'm probably going to scrap this and start over again, but it will still be along these lines.

torstan
09-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Well it's certainly looking pretty. Like the palette. Any chance you've been reading some Neil Gaiman recently?

cereth
09-07-2010, 01:25 AM
Partially inspired by the Dresden Files books, actually. :-)

Restarted from scratch...went MUCH bigger this time. Didn't want to fall into the same trap I usually do where I make a map too small. This one may be pushing the upper file limits...just started and he's already over 4 megs. And it's only half of the map. Much happier with this one though so far.

### Latest WIP ###

BurningChrome
09-07-2010, 01:43 AM
Nice concept and ditto on the pallet, awesome choice of colors. Been reading Karen Moning??

tilt
09-07-2010, 06:11 PM
that looks really nice :) .. and don't worry about working big - you can always size down later and you'll still have the big map for the exibition :)

Juggernaut1981
09-07-2010, 11:48 PM
Sounds like you're going for a World of Darkness-type concept. The fae and monsters live amongst us... almost in another dimension

Coyotemax
09-08-2010, 12:03 AM
Dang, I better stake my claim on the second map before someone ninja's it out from under me.. this is pretty close to my city map idea :)

cereth
09-12-2010, 02:39 AM
Here's an updated image. Got the city streets of Manhattan all blocked in, which was a pretty painstaking effort.

I'm thinking of doing something with "Ley Lines" and having the intersections of these be where the borders between the real world and the mirror world are especially weak. I haven't quite figured out how these will be represented on the map yet, but it sounds cool to me.

I've also got this character concept of the person "responsible" for the map...an Aleister Crowley/HP Lovecraft type guy. I'm envisioning rambling notes scribbled on the map that seem like they were written by a madman. For the flip side map I'm basically going to make it the mirror image of Manhattan, sans the docks and stuff. I found a cool survey map of Manhattan to use as a reference for that.

I'm also starting to think that this might be better off as two separate entries, even though they are tied together. Good thing I have a vacation coming up...I have a lot of work to do. :)

### Latest WIP ###

mearrin69
09-12-2010, 03:16 AM
That's some crazy detail...nice stuff. Yeah, ley lines with portals to the fey world at the intersections maybe? I'd say put them in the parks. You going to detail Brooklyn and Jersey City?
M

Juggernaut1981
09-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Actually the best HP Lovecraft ones are those written by the "I don't know if I'm insane, I'm usually pretty savvy and sciencey..."

Gallifreyan
09-13-2010, 02:59 AM
Fantastic map so far! I love this style of a street map, my favorite part is the buildings. I think that the gray with subtle stripes are awesome and the shading is very nice too.

Good luck with the rest of the map!

cereth
09-14-2010, 03:00 AM
Updated with Brooklyn and jersey city finished. Now I'm just struggling to find fonts that i like.

Juggernaut1981
09-14-2010, 04:29 AM
Something about those ring-lines seems far too "pristine" and unnatural. Not sure what you should potentially change, but that's the feel I get from them when zoomed in.

As far as fonts, it depends entirely on what angle you're looking at. If you think that the "creatures that hide from us mortals" should be feral and wild then a very jagged and not neccessarily easy to read font would probably suit. Or if you want a more sophisticated sort of response, then I'd suggest something very much like classic "copperplate handwriting" or other old-school handwriting type fonts. If you want that organised, out of date, with possible steam-punk overtones then clearly something "blackletter". But it depends mostly on what it is that you want...

cereth
09-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Started labeling streets (boy, that's going to take a while), made a title, and fooled around with the ley lines and their nexuses. Pretty happy with the fonts...wanted them to both look "period" and be readable. I may still play with the street label font.

mearrin69
09-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Hoo boy. You're going to be one tired puppy before this one's done. Looks great so far.

For some reason the ley lines feel a bit rigid to me. If this is a link to the "First World" (to use Paizo parlance) or the "Feywilds" (or whatever the heck WoTC calls it) I think it might come across more with something more natural. Maybe something that suggests vines? Sounds crazy but I'm talking a subtle effect, not overt. Actually, if you use something natural here and something mechanical on the map of the other realm, the juxtaposition might be kinda cool. Just a thought. (and believe it or not I edited out several occurances of the word "something".)
M

tilt
09-15-2010, 02:22 PM
damn that looks good - makes me wonder about my upcomming map... gotta stay sharp ;)

Diamond
09-16-2010, 02:46 AM
This looks really fantastic so far.

cereth
09-16-2010, 06:29 PM
I'm thinking of using lines of runes to represent the ley lines, but I'm also thinking it might make them look too confusing. In everything I've seen on lay lines they appear to be straight lines that intersect with each other and kind of form a web. I'm not sure wavy lines that look like ivy would look enough like actual ley lines. I do think I should maybe add more of them though.

My vacation starts in half an hour though, so I'll have the next ten days to do some serious work on it. :)

mearrin69
09-16-2010, 07:37 PM
Agreed that the actual ley lines should be straight. Also agree that there should be more of them. There are a lot of little parks in NYC that you could use as sinks/sources.

How about straight, fine green lines on the city map and maybe line them with soft glowing runes of some sort. If you made the runes look "soft" (i.e. like Tolkien's elvish script, not dwarven) it might accomplish the same thing I'm talking about.
M

cereth
09-17-2010, 10:38 AM
I'm going to try and lay the nexuses out in one of these "geomantic" patterns...I just need to find which one will fit on the map the best. I did some occult research on wikipedia and found these. I'm thinking of using the straight one (the last one) because it means road or path, aptly enough.

cereth
09-17-2010, 02:26 PM
Got a lot more labeling done and fooled around with the ley lines some more.

### Latest WIP ###

Gallifreyan
09-17-2010, 02:56 PM
Looks great, really awesome map! I think that you should use one of the patterns where it is seems like the ley lines are diverging (like the one on the bottom-left). Maybe that could explain why the NYC is so populated: because it is at a point where two lines merge/diverge?

BTW, what font are you using for the river labels?

tilt
09-17-2010, 03:21 PM
love the lines, not so sure about the circles - maybe if they were runes too? or perhaps smaller - they just sort of clash ....

cereth
09-18-2010, 01:59 PM
I gave the ley lines some love and am pretty happy with the results. They seem to all fit much better now, I also did some more labeling in Brooklyn. I feel like I've made some significant progress in the first two days of my vacation. :)

The font I'm using for all the labeling is HandTimes.

### Latest WIP ###

Katto
09-18-2010, 03:20 PM
For the first time I look into this month's challenge, open the first thread and it starts with a stunner. Wow, well done cereth.

tilt
09-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Much cooler :)

RjBeals
09-19-2010, 07:57 PM
this will be a winner no doubt. Beautiful.

ravells
09-19-2010, 08:49 PM
Total stunner. Brilliant.

cereth
09-21-2010, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the compliments. :)

Here's my latest update. Added some additional features, references, etc. I originally envisioned making the map look more aged, with stains and scribbled notes on it but now I'm starting to think that might just detract from it as opposed to adding anything constructive to it.

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
09-21-2010, 08:11 AM
Nice job Cereth, very authentic looking!

cereth
10-14-2010, 07:02 PM
I made some very minor additions to this. I think I am ready to call this done, barring any typos I haven't already caught.

### LATEST WIP ###

RjBeals
10-15-2010, 09:14 AM
man this is gorgeous. Should be a featured map.

Crayons
10-15-2010, 12:35 PM
A real beaut! Love it

RjBeals
10-15-2010, 04:13 PM
A real beaut!

wow Crayons - you are one of my kind. That's a quote I use constantly. Taken from one of my favorite Christmas movies of all time "Christmas Vacation". Getting to be close to that time of year where I can start watching it again !

Also a quote I use constantly.. "You Serious Clark?"

Clark: Hey, Kids, I heard on the news that an airline pilot spotted Santa's sleigh on it's way in from New York City.
Eddie: [after a pause] You serious, Clark?

Crayons
10-15-2010, 06:18 PM
Wierd guy!! :)
I'd imagine that the expression would be more recognised by our antipodean members. It works best spoken in broad "strine".