PDA

View Full Version : Hand Drawn Maps. Not in PS, GIMP, InkScape, etc. But in HAND.

Gwyddion23
09-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Yea, so I've searched high and low here. I find absolutely NOTHING regarding the actualy HAND drawing of maps. Old school style. I want to make a town encounter map, but I need to know some mapping conventions. Advice on drawing a map in general is also welcome. I can draw a map, but not a good one.

It's odd that everything I've come across if for some sort of mapmaking with SOFTWARE. Has everyone abandoned the old, faithful graphite for their mapping needs? Not just for CONCEPT either. But an actualy use-in-play map drawn manually?

jfrazierjr
09-05-2010, 01:00 PM
Yea, so I've searched high and low here. I find absolutely NOTHING regarding the actualy HAND drawing of maps. Old school style. I want to make a town encounter map, but I need to know some mapping conventions. Advice on drawing a map in general is also welcome. I can draw a map, but not a good one.

It's odd that everything I've come across if for some sort of mapmaking with SOFTWARE. Has everyone abandoned the old, faithful graphite for their mapping needs? Not just for CONCEPT either. But an actualy use-in-play map drawn manually?

Look in the tutorial section. delgondahntelius posted a hand draw map tutorial including some advice on pencils/inks as well as covering most major geographical features. of course, this was for a region. I also know there are a few more by other artists in the Finished Maps section which would point back to the wip in progress. delgondahntelius also posted a hand drawn sketch of an featured map of a small town as the first phase of his work in progress before scanning and switching to computer for coloring. The main reason "I" draw on the computer instead of by hand is that I have issues with hand cramps when writing and undo is a MUCH easier than erasing(especially when I undo a lot). Plus it's easier to do in bits and remember where I left it.

Rythal
09-05-2010, 01:10 PM
When I made Cymalru and Tol Antaim, I used Djekspeks 3d ish mapping tut (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?10471-Step-by-step-3D-ish-mapping); its a huge help if thats the handrawn that your going for.

hope that helps somewhat

DevinNight
09-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Nobody does hand drawing anymore, much like most people don't own hand powered lawn mowers. I would bet that any of the well known mappers here could produce a map with any tool, pencil, ink, water color, or chalk. The computer is just another tool, a tool that helps in the production of maps. The basis for every good map is the concept, the composition and the clarity. The finished maps even computer generated or finished on the computer all have elements that even hand drawn would come out looking great.
So even though there aren't a lot of specific hand drawing tutorials, I think any tutorial you look at should provide some kind of insight for hand drawn maps.

If this sounds snotty I don't mean it too.

Rythal
09-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Nobody does hand drawing anymore, much like most people don't own hand powered lawn mowers.

Hey, I use a hand powered lawn mower! you dont have to worry about getting gasoline all over your grass, or have to deal with annoying electric cords.

way off topic though.

Midgardsormr
09-05-2010, 06:06 PM
As do I. And it is equally inaccurate to say that no one draws by hand any more. It is true, though, that we do not see a lot of hand-drawn work here, mostly because it's an electronic medium, and it's just easier to get a computer generated map posted than it is a hand-drawn one. Particularly if the map is larger than letter-sized, which makes it difficult to scan.

Personally, I enjoy brush-and-ink drawing, and I fell back on it recently when Photoshop just wasn't giving me the look I wanted as easily as I wanted it. That wasn't for a map, though.

everydayj
09-08-2010, 11:57 AM
I've been hand drawing my maps ever since I start as a teen. I took a long break from both map drawing and gaming for about ten years, though, and only got back into it within the last two years or so. In that time, I was hand drawing all of my maps until I found this place. I still hand draw all of my maps. However, now I scan those maps and work on them digitally. My main reason for do this is that I'm able to digitally remake this map in a variety of different ways, some showing only borders, some concentrating on elevation or other physical features. One other great benefit of doing things digitally is that I'm able to reproduce the work immediately in the case that the first one is compromised or destroyed. Quite valuable, really.

mearrin69
09-08-2010, 02:35 PM
Let's not say that *nobody* does hand-drawn anymore. I tried my Haibianr (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?7539-Haibianr-by-mearrin69) city map in PS at first but it just didn't work out (see the WIP thread (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?7078-Haibianr-WIP-city-map)for how that went) so I went back to paper and pencil (and later pen) and then scanned it in and colored it in PS. Now, I will say that I never would have tried to color the original on paper. That would have been a nightmare. I still have the original drawing in pen on smooth bristol and have been toying with the idea of coloring it with markers...but I don't want to botch it up as I'd like to frame the thing.

I have also used hand-drawn elements in several of my maps. AND I wouldn't exactly call what Djekspek does with a tablet and PS *not* hand-drawn...he just doesn't use pen and paper.
M

tilt
09-08-2010, 02:47 PM
I'll join in the handpowered lawnmover crowd :) ... and yes, I mostly work on the computer and I do it because its such a great tool to work with, undo, layers, textures, filters a lot of stuff to play with to get the look you want. And mearrin also raises a very good point - hand drawn doesn't equal pencils, pens and so forth - you can hand draw with a tablet too... and you hand draw with a mouse too if you use the free hand tools (its just not as easy) :)

The important stuff is to make some great maps, and I personally ain't finished with the old fashioned tools yet :)

Wolf63
09-09-2010, 06:20 AM
I love my hand pushed lawn mower. It's great excercise

Obliro
10-28-2010, 08:43 PM
I'm the other way around. I can hand-paint, but my mapping skills kind of need to catch up first/ get decent. Totally intend to draw/paint maps using 'real' paint and brush someday.

RjBeals
11-03-2010, 07:13 PM
well post some scans or photos of what you've painted ! - I envy people who have the skill to actually paint with a real brush.

RjBeals
11-03-2010, 07:16 PM
oh yeah - one of my favorite cartographers is Mike Reagan. He paints in watercolors only. I've had the privilege of chatting with him (in email) and he say's he wishes he could use Photoshop, but he has no idea how. Like he needs it ! - Browse through some of his maps. He worked many years for National Geographic.

http://www.mapsbymikereagan.com/#goto=maps&viewimage=1

http://gyazo.com/a1138dce046c3c6c2a234a983e439d0b.png

Talroth
11-03-2010, 07:36 PM
I prefer a classic hand mower to something with a motor. Well, at least a quality build,... The one I have now is nearly as bad as a gas mower with how badly it rattles and whatnot. They take up less space to store, and I don't have to put up with the annoying loud engine or excessive vibration.

I'm also thinking when I get my own place that I'll get some sheep. (And then build a robot to run around and clean up after them.)

I also like drawing by hand. I'm more likely to do notes and sketches by hand, rather than on computer. The oddest part of this? I'm a few months away from a degree in computer sciences. :P

RjBeals
11-03-2010, 07:54 PM
The oddest part of this?... you mean besides the entire post ;)

Talroth
11-03-2010, 07:58 PM
you mean besides the entire post ;)

What's wrong with pointing out the oddest of the odd?

ravells
11-04-2010, 01:22 PM
lolol! Thanks for the chuckle.

jbgibson
11-10-2010, 02:27 AM
To push the unpowered mower back to Gwyddion's original question :-) does anybody have books to recommend? Amazon has reasonably priced used copies of some of the authors recently mentioned - Raisz, for one. Only you can't snap up all the copies before i get one! Other than pen technique, I imagine cartography textbooks cover all the basics about how to depict features, rules of thumb for composition - true whether for hand drawn or digitally created.

A further question to help us help you, Gwyddion - just *how* old-school do you mean? 1940, or 1540? Can you link some examples - even if they're digital ones - to show styles you're shooting for?

Gamerprinter
11-14-2010, 04:35 PM
While its certainly true, that a percentage of my maps are completely digital works, there's another percentage (fairly high) that is hand-drawn work enhanced to a digital hybrid in the final composition. But I don't have a tutorial for it, my hand-drawn style, is my own style - I can't really train anyone on how I draw. Draw what you see, in your mind's eye. I don't know how better to explain it. then after you scan it in the computer, handle it like any other digital map and go from there.

There are plenty of old school mapping fans here. And while I do prefer my hand-drawn work, I wouldn't confuse that with old school. My maps don't look old school to me.

GP

woomia
11-18-2010, 09:59 AM
I draw my maps by hand because I can't draw maps on a computer to save my life. I draw a basic one, photocoppy it, then add and continiously photocopy. When I am finished I blew it up to journal size then trace it. Finally I color it in and ink it. It's a labor of love.

Jaxilon
11-29-2010, 11:51 AM
I'm still learning the digital realms and found them rather frustrating at first because I can hand draw what I want but not so much using a mouse. Soon I will get a tablet and draw with that. I hope I like it.

It sounds like you are looking for what symbols are used in the cartographic world for showing mountains, cliffs, waterlines, etc? I'm sure there are some basics you could find out there but me personally, I would rather draw what I think it looks like, kinda like what GP said, "draw what you see". That keeps it artistic to my mind. If you just start drawing X's and boxes to indicate mountains or whatever it kinda blows out a bunch of creativity which is important to me. Now I'm not saying an architect isn't creative, I actually wanted to be one. Of course, if a person doesn't have much artistic ability I can see why they would want to use symbols. I suppose I am more artist than map maker because I'm just not all that interested in using special symbols like stamps to build a map.

As mentioned, this is the Internet and thus far more prone to electronic media. If you are like I was, you might think of digital painting like cheating but that was before I got into it. It's just different and there are a lot of things you can do and experiment with on your work once you know how. It is also art because it falls under the definition of art even if it does have that cheating undo button :)

Some of my stuff is drawn by hand and then scanned in for more manipulation and coloring. It's just getting easier for me to do it all digitally these days. Still, I do love the dragging of the pencil across the paper.

Korash
12-01-2010, 09:38 PM
I love my hand pushed lawn mower. It's great excercise

You should try doing a country lawn with a scythe. Yes a scythe, as in that which is held by Death....

Yes a LOOOng time ago and muuuuuch younger, but I still remember the work out it gave after doing it all afternoon. Nice cut too......

and now back to your regular thread.....