PDA

View Full Version : Map of the Exile

silverhead
09-07-2010, 08:23 AM
Hi,

this is not really a WIP, because I'm shelving it. I'm a bit tired of it and don't plan on improving it anymore. I wanted to try a few tutorials (by jezelf and kjdavies, to name two), and this is the result. I'm not very happy with it: the labeling is ugly (though the lack of names is intentional; it's supposed to be the part of the worlds known to the people of Menferhat), and the river police can have a field day because I made a mistake with a layer and some of them are unfinished.

But it's my first in this style, and I wanted to get some feedback. Critiques very welcome, but if you're too harsh and make me cry, my girlfriend will spank you. You've been warned.

Thanks in advance :-)

Fransie
09-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Could you post a pic of your girlfriend?:twisted:

I don't find it that bad, and I really like the colours. Don't worry about the river police because the rivers are hardly visible at all. Perhaps you could try to find a slightly more Egyptian-looking font.

Jaxilon
09-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Yeah I think it looks pretty cool. I like the texture of the land itself. Did you do those curved names in Gimp because the Pathing of labels in Gimp is a pain (nice job if you did). It's easier to export the map into Inkscape to create the labels then send them back to Gimp.

mearrin69
09-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Call off the girlfriend...I think it's quite nice actually. I like the colors and texturing and you have GREAT coastlines and landmass shapes. Stuff I would consider fixing:
1) the border and glyphs are really neat but they're a little "soft" compared to the rest of the map and the color's a bit odd (clashing?) If you could tighten those up I think the map would look significantly better.
2) The torn edge is very stark. Take a look around for torn paper tutorials. Here's one I've used to good effect, but there are many others: http://www.myjanee.com/tuts/torn/torn.htm
3) Not really a must-change item but I'd consider a more script-like font and grunging the names up a bit...they seem a little stark and type-set for the style of the map.
Hopefully I've not been so harsh as to deserve the wrath of your girlfriend (unless she's a good spanker, in which case I can make another post).
M

silverhead
09-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Did you do those curved names in Gimp because the Pathing of labels in Gimp is a pain (nice job if you did). It's easier to export the map into Inkscape to create the labels then send them back to Gimp.

That's exactly what I did :-) I realized the issue with curved names in Gimp last time I tried to do them, and switched to Inkscape for that.

Thanks for the comment!

silverhead
09-07-2010, 02:56 PM
3) Not really a must-change item but I'd consider a more script-like font and grunging the names up a bit...they seem a little stark and type-set for the style of the map.

All issues acknowledged, though I'm a bit confused with this one. What do you mean with "gruning up the names a bit"? Do you mean the appearance of the names, of the names themselves?

Thanks in advance!

mearrin69
09-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Here's a tutorial that sort of gets what I was talking about:

http://freeyourdesign.com/photoshop/photoshop-tutorial-distressed-grunge-text/

silverhead
09-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Here's the new version of this map. I've taken into account what you all said, though I've been too lazy to address all the issues :-) In particular, the paper edge is still like it was originally. I hope I'll fix it somewhere in the future, but I don't promise anything. I've tagged this as "WIP" because it's what's it's turned into.

I couldn't "grunge" the text as I'd like, but I've used a filter of Inkscape to make it look a bit eroded. I think it's better now. Besides, I've added a few things I had in mind but hadn't commited to paper (so to speak) yet. Hope you like it.

Thanks in advance.

bartmoss
09-12-2010, 07:56 PM
I like it, it's very desert-ish.

Pyer
02-22-2011, 12:06 PM
nice work. what is the police used in the lower left corner (Mapa de las tierras del Exilio) ?

silverhead
02-22-2011, 02:14 PM
nice work. what is the police used in the lower left corner (Mapa de las tierras del Exilio) ?

I guess you mean the font, right? If so, it's called "Rodi de Asis". You can get it in Dafont: http://www.dafont.com/rodi-de-asis.font

Pyer
02-22-2011, 04:00 PM
I guess you mean the font, right? If so, it's called "Rodi de Asis". You can get it in Dafont: http://www.dafont.com/rodi-de-asis.font

oops, sorry... yes you're right, I mean font (police is the french word for font)
I promise : I won't type again a message in english while talking to friends in french :D