PDA

View Full Version : Portfolio Island

Quabbe
09-08-2010, 02:57 AM
Hey there,

three days ago I had an idea. I was playing around with javascript for my scrollable map and asked myself, if it's even possible to create a website with complete content on one page. After spending lots of hours with this I finally got the answer: yes, it is! And because I have not had a portfolio site, I've simply taken the opportunity with both hands! Why I post it here? Well, you'll see when you visit the page. ;)

It is, let me say, some kind of a treasure map. One problem may be that the page does not run without javascript. Maybe I'll find an alternative solution. But for now, here it is: www.fantasy-cartography.com

Text is still missing, but will come soon. Oh, before I forget: this was my 100. post. Cheers! :D

Quabbe

Jaxilon
09-08-2010, 03:17 AM
That is very slick.

Dain
09-08-2010, 03:30 AM
I love it!!
Good idea and very well done!
Put it in my bookmarks ;)

Sapiento
09-08-2010, 03:31 AM
Looks great! Bravo!

tilt
09-08-2010, 04:47 AM
looking good - and what a great domain name you've got there :)

Steel General
09-08-2010, 09:04 AM
Nicely Done!

RobA
09-08-2010, 01:47 PM
That is nice! Very professional, and better(?) than a flash based solution(?)

-Rob A>

ravells
09-08-2010, 01:51 PM
i love it! really imaginative!

jtougas
09-08-2010, 02:25 PM
That's really slick makes my WIP site look like I did it with a broken ruler and a box of dull crayons More inspiration

Marken4
09-08-2010, 03:03 PM
I have to say I think i looks truly amazing. But if I have to give som criticism I would like the overall look of the homepage if there weren't a scroller, if you understand what I mean.

tilt
09-08-2010, 03:14 PM
oh ... forgot to congratulate you on your 100th post - CONGRATS! :)

Quabbe
09-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Thank you all! You make me really happy you like it. :)

The site is now filled with text - not much, but certainly better than dummy text.

And let me ask you a question: did anyone find the treasure allready? Maybe I buried the treasure too deep, I don't know ... :D

@ RobA

well, javascript works at least on more PC's than flash does, I think. For flash you need a plugin, which does not have every browser (especially older browsers) - but I don't know, I haven't worked with flash yet. Otherwise, some people fear javascript and put it manually off ... and without javascript the site won't work (until I've found a solution).

@ Marken4

do you mean the scrollbar at the right? Or are there any other scrollbars you see (those in the middle should be hidden by "overflow:hidden"? Well, I could try to make the whole site scrollable like the little contentwindow ... but that might give problems, when the browser is so small that it hides the contentwindow and "overscribes" the scrollable area. I am going to experiment a while around. :)

@ tilt

haha, thanks mate! :)

Quabbe

Ramah
09-08-2010, 03:47 PM
I love it, Quabbe. :) Same as everything you do really. Damn you.

The actual island itself is beautiful. You should do a full map in that style for sure.

I found your treasure btw. :)

The only thing I dislike about the whole thing is the word "News" which just looks like you wrote it with too large a brush in a not very nice colour. Hehe.

Other than that though, great stuff indeed.

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention, as you seem concerned with how it runs with and without JS etc. I thought I'd say that I always run Firefox with NoScript enabled so when I first loaded up the site I can tell you exactly how it runs with Javascript disabled. It lets me look at your portfolio and enlarge all the thumbnails but anything else I click on that requires your window to scroll doesn't work.

Ilwan
09-08-2010, 05:08 PM
One of the best websites I have ever seen. :)

torstan
09-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Yep, this is really nice. Looking forward to updates when the treasure is filled in :)

How tricky is the javascript to do something like this? It looks great.

Gallifreyan
09-08-2010, 05:55 PM
The site is remarkable! Portfolio Island is amazing and the compass-C is very nice. :)

I think that I have been to every page but couldn't find the treasure, maybe I need to keep looking.

Quabbe
09-08-2010, 06:37 PM
The solution is found! If javascript is disabled, the content will get a scrollbar now. Doesn't look good, but the site is at least usable.

@ Ramah

thanks kindly! :)

"News" has been repainted now into the same red like the other links.

Maybe I'll work on a bigger map in that style by time. As I began the project, I just took a large brush with low opacity and started painting. The result was not expected, but came out quite well. :)

@ Ilwan

wow, thanks for the compliment! :)

@ torstan

thank you too. It was pretty easy to implement the script. I got it from here (http://demos111.mootools.net/Fx.Scroll) and did only a few adjustments, mostly with CSS.

@ Gallifreyan

There is a hidden link somewhere with a decent hint where it could be. Perhaps I should give more hints in the text. :)

I'm glad you like the little logo! :)

Quabbe

Dmitri
09-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Added to my bookmarks, right under this wonderful website here :D

Absolutely beautiful site, and maps!

Dain
09-09-2010, 12:06 AM
did anyone find the treasure allready? Maybe I buried the treasure too deep, I don't know ... :D

Damn it, I can't find the treasure, MY treasure, sweet treasure :(
Managed to find the hint but can't find any "cross" anywhere :(
Wasn't he "x" in Cartography
wasn't the "x" of the rosace
Where is it? C'mon!! It's frustrating :P :D

Gallifreyan
09-09-2010, 12:29 AM
Found the treasure :)

BTW Quabbe, The hint from the Village of the Lost Treasure was pretty clever, (hey that rhymes!) I liked it!

Quabbe
09-09-2010, 01:12 AM
Hey,

I think I'm finished with the site now. I put a few more hints up and added some text. :)

@ Dmitri and Gallifreyan

thanks, guys. And again someone who found the (not yet existing) treasure! :D

@ Dain

Okay, here is the story how to find the treasure:

About me -> See the hint at the bottom.
Village of the lost Treasure -> No one knows, where the treasure is hidden. Really No One?
The nostalgic Chevalier -> He might not be found very quick, but he leans often out of the upper window in his tower. He talks about a legendary hero called Nokuta Oneeko Cuhimbachalalu, short No One.
Tower of No (I think I'll rename it to Tower of Cuhimbachalalu) -> just beside is a little sign. The same sign (in big) points allready to another link. If you visit him (click), he tells you what he knows about the treasure.
Somewhere now appears an X. Eyes up ... it should not be too hard to find. :)

I don't know if I have thought too crazy ... but I hope this might be possible enough for everyone to find the treasure, even without knowing that one is existing.

If I did any english mistakes (particular grammatical mistakes) in the text-images, I would bid you honestly to correct me. :)

Thanks,
Quabbe

Redrobes
09-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Nice site. I read top post clicked on site and started looking for treasure and found it tough so I grabbed your CSS and looked it up then it was a bit easier :) Its a nicely put together site and I hate flash too so super kudos to you and some rep as well.