PDA

View Full Version : Fictional map created for Scholastic Books

Schley
09-09-2010, 02:09 PM
Here's a recent map I was commissioned to create by Scholastic Books for the middle-grade novel "The Midnight Tunnel: A Suzanna Snow
Mystery" by Angie Frasier. Just finished it and the book's due to be released early next year. It's a bit of a stylistic departure from my other maps but it works since the book's geared towards pre-teen girls.

Let me know what you think.

Mike

torstan
09-09-2010, 02:22 PM
I like it - can definitely see your style in the grass and edges. Another great border too. Very nice indeed - any chance of a slightly larger version?

Schley
09-09-2010, 02:38 PM
- any chance of a slightly larger version?

A larger version is now attached. :)

Steel General
09-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Cool stuff here... The 'Rosemount' house is fantastic!

Djekspek
09-09-2010, 03:23 PM
wow, really great piece! Rosemount is indeed a true eyecatcher and I also love the shoreline waves... do more in this style please :D

torstan
09-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Thanks - I love the play on the standard woodcut style that you've done with the sea and the waves. Very nice. Repped (of course!)

NeonKnight
09-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Its got HORSES!!!! Seriously though,Love the map Mike, a beautiful work of art!

Avengeil
09-10-2010, 02:00 AM
Really nice map and I have to agree about Rosemount Mansion. I'm reading Jane Eyre at the moment and I can't help but think of Thornfield Hall.Repped.

Redrobes
09-10-2010, 07:15 AM
Yes lovely. I like the wood cut turning into waves on beach. Haven't seen that before and nice touch.

Ramah
09-10-2010, 07:30 AM
Very nice map indeed. Great stuff.

loongtim
09-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Great work as always and I think it's you nailed the style of the niche perfectly. Thanks to this map, I'm sure there will be many a pre-teen girl dreaming of pampered lifestyles and ponies before they even get to chapter 1.

Surveyor
09-12-2010, 09:55 AM
I, as an adult, really like the map. I think that as a pre-teen some children may have a problem with the scripted / copperplate style font. Perhaps some italic font like Lydian or Goudy old style italic may be more suitable. Unfortunately, since handwriting, especially cursive longhand is no longer taught in school some children may have a problem with this font! Just my opinion though!
Surveyor

Marken4
09-12-2010, 02:04 PM
I'll have to agree with everyone else, i think indeed that the font is a bit hard to read (I'm thirteen).

Btw; Did you use Carson Mansion (http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&biw=1338&bih=965&tbs=isch:1&sa=1&q=carson+mansion&aq=f&aqi=g3g-m1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=) as a reference for The Rosemount?

Schley
09-12-2010, 03:49 PM
I think that as a pre-teen some children may have a problem with the scripted / copperplate style font. Perhaps some italic font like Lydian or Goudy old style italic may be more suitable. Surveyor

I don't know, I kind of like the cursive flavor of Bickham Script Pro. The weight and line quality seemed to flow well with the map's inks. I actually looked at Goudy but it felt too stiff inside the scrolls. Readability for the audience is definitely something to think about though.

Btw; Did you use Carson Mansion (http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&biw=1338&bih=965&tbs=isch:1&sa=1&q=carson+mansion&aq=f&aqi=g3g-m1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=) as a reference for The Rosemount?

Good eye! I looked at Carson Mansion to develop the overall feel of Rosemount Manor. I modified the layout and simplified the shapes to fit, but the Carson was definitely an inspiration.

jezelf
09-15-2010, 07:47 AM
Love it. good work! - nice and clean and readable. very professionally done.

thanks for showing.