PDA

View Full Version : DeadClock7 request

Jaxilon
09-12-2010, 12:39 AM
This is my playing around with DeadClock7's request (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?11867-Can-anyone-give-me-make-this-look-good).

Basically, I just wanted to experiment on a regional map and haven't had the lightning strike I need to be working on my Big Apple entry so here is me playing around with it.

I have to add rivers still and then go nuts creating borders I think :)

I'll probably loose the canvas effect as well for something else.

mearrin69
09-12-2010, 12:49 AM
Them's some moody blues you've got going on there. Yummy colors. Want to see how it turns out!
M

Deadclock7
09-12-2010, 02:30 AM
good, could the area in the center of the moutains be desert?

Jaxilon
09-12-2010, 03:50 AM
Sure, but we'll have to do something about those lakes in the middle there. Hmmm. Maybe I can make them into arroyos. Hehe, and I was thinking that was going to be a lush farmland in there.

I was adding in rivers and such but I'll post this and then see about drying out the center area. Are you wanting forests on this because the example you showed didn't really have any trees other than indicated by the color of the land?

Here's where we were.

bartmoss
09-12-2010, 04:00 AM
Take this with a huge grain of salt, since I am (semi-)colorblind, but I think I actually liked the brighter colors of the first pic. I do hink that the canvas texture was probably though, so you're better off without it.

Avengeil
09-12-2010, 04:14 AM
It's looking really nice and I find the colors really beautiful and gloomy (as Mearrin69 also has said).

Jaxilon
09-12-2010, 05:00 AM
Thanks for the input. I'm not sure on the color at this point and certainly nothing is in stone. The main reason I changed the ocean color was to match more closely the example image DeadClock chose.

I have added a desert, I think it came out pretty well. I also worked on my mountains a bit because the were fading out with the desert in the center.

Edit: dangit, I hate it when the thumb doohicky goes wonky.

Jaxilon
09-12-2010, 06:17 AM
And here is my attempt at making borders - I've never done this before LOL.

Let me know DC if you want any of these changed around. We are going to need names as well for labels.

Edit: I see a couple errors on here but I'm going to bed.

nolgroth
09-12-2010, 08:12 AM
I think that I would turn the Opacity down on the political regions a bit. Excellent map. Repped.

Deadclock7
09-12-2010, 01:38 PM
There should be dense forests in the ne nw and sw, and scattered trees in the eastern seaboard.

Jaxilon
09-12-2010, 01:44 PM
Ok, I'll see about the trees next. Here is an update with some slight tweaks to make it look better hopefully :)

Edit: What's the deal with this Thumbnail thing? I upload two images at the same time, the second image loads but the first fails.

Jaxilon
09-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Assuming North is UP since I have no compass on there, the Eastern Seaboard is along the right side of the map? I'm just asking to double check that I understood what you meant :)

Deadclock7
09-12-2010, 03:22 PM
oh sorry, im retarded i meant western

Deadclock7
09-12-2010, 03:23 PM
could you add a bevel to te rivers?

Aval Penworth
09-12-2010, 10:21 PM
OKay, looks like Jax has you sorted. :)

Deadclock7
09-12-2010, 10:21 PM
When will you be done with this project, just an estimate, i can wait forever.

Jaxilon
09-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Western ,ok, that's kind of what I was thinking you might have wanted. I'm glad I verified.

I'm not sure what a bevel will do on the rivers. I think they are so small it might just muddle them up. Do you just want them to have a bit more depth? I will look at them and see what I think. In the end you can mess around with them yourself and maybe put some tweaks on to see what you can get.

As for a timeline - I think if we can get the forests done you should be in good shape. As I mentioned before I need to get moving on my Big Apple Challenge which has been percolating in the back of my mind.

Do you have names for the countries?
What is the scale of this map or do you have one?

@Aval - Sorry I didn't really expect to get bit with the bug on this but I sort of did and then just couldn't stop :)

Deadclock7
09-12-2010, 11:04 PM
ugh, whell you dont have to put alot of work in it, ill do the borders and stuff, but can you make the rivers, like, look like they are dug in. You dont have to but it looks good so far.
And when will the trees be up, i got school tomorrow so i wont be on.

Deadclock7
09-12-2010, 11:06 PM
29191I kind of edited the map a little

Jaxilon
09-12-2010, 11:45 PM
If you know the font you used for that I can duplicate it.

Jaxilon
09-13-2010, 02:12 AM
Alrighty, I hadn't really been thinking of what sort of trees to put on this because I wasn't sure you wanted any since the example didn't really have them. So, I fiddled around, learned some new things and I think I'm pretty happy with way these forests turned out. Of course, they may not be anything like what you envisioned so let me know if we need to make any changes or built them up more.

If you want I can create a layer with just the colored borders but if you have other borderlines you need you won't care about that. The only thing I was thinking is that then you can take the two images and pull them into Gimp or whatever and mess with them all you want.

Hehe, looks like I missed a couple rivers. I'll catch those next round. I do think they look a little better with the bevel. I wouldn't have thought that a 1 point bevel would do much.

Deadclock7
09-13-2010, 07:24 AM
its here at a website, i used try font, http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detail.htm?pid=4659121.

Deadclock7
09-13-2010, 07:28 AM
and try some diffent ways for trees, or make em blend with the enviroment around them, these look great.

RecklessEnthusiasm
09-13-2010, 08:59 AM
Jaxilon - I gotta say, you have a lot more patience than I would. Rep for long-suffering.

Jaxilon
09-13-2010, 12:47 PM
What do you mean when you say "different ways for trees or make them blend with the environment"? Do you mean you want them to be less noticeable or more variable in their color to indicate different environments?

@ Reckless Enthusiasm - :)

Question: is the Desert too bright?

I think trees are almost as much hassle as mountains although I'm pretty happy with how the mountains turned out. I think they may be my best ones so far.

Midgardsormr
09-13-2010, 07:10 PM
A pillow emboss often does nice things for rivers, even at very small sizes. Like Torq's Practice Map (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?1739-Practice-Map). I think he also used the same technique on his map of Groam.

Diamond
09-13-2010, 07:26 PM
I've gotta say, I really really liked the political colors you had going in the map in post #8. What about labelling that one with names, etc, and having the terrain version separate?

Jaxilon
09-13-2010, 08:04 PM
Couldn't resist playing around with the forests and mountains and I'm thinking I'm getting somewhere because I'm pretty excited to post this next one. Hopefully, they don't suck but I'll take all the C&C I can get.

I can put the political colors back on at any time since they are on a layer. I may just create a labeled version for my portfolio. I need practice making labels as I've done very little of it.

Here it is. I think we are on the home stretch with this one.

Edit: Added the Borders version Diamond liked :) You may notice it has the name labeled. This is not the same font you were using because your's was one you need to pay for and I'm not forking out cash on fonts atm. The closest I had is the "King & Queen's" font (I think that's the name) as you can see here.

Deadclock7
09-14-2010, 08:37 PM
I like these trees, just make the ones in the north dissapear graduly and they will be perfect, nice job.
Ima gona put cities and roads on a draft and you can finalize those.
Thanks.

Deadclock7
09-16-2010, 08:58 PM
Is this map, like, over, or some big project you working on?

Jaxilon
09-16-2010, 10:26 PM
Let's see, I think the last thing you asked for was trees gradually disappearing into the north...hmmm, do you mean to have the trees continue into the snow and then fade away? You also said something about cities and roads. Not sure if you want me to try doing those or if you wanted to do them yourself. I had the impression that you were going to provide some more details on that. If you have some ideas on what you want for cities and roads let me see and maybe we can wrap this up.

I was off finishing my lite challenge entry so I haven't touched this for a couple days. I am also starting to put together my "Map the Big Apple" project which is just now coming together in my mind.

So, while I haven't said we are done here it sort of depends on how much you still need. They say a piece of artwork is never done until you take it away from the artist but I kind of want to finish this up. I should probably put a compass rose on it and a scale but I'm not sure you had a scale in mind. If you have a plan for where you want the cities to be and long it should take to travel from one to the next that would help.

Deadclock7
09-16-2010, 10:37 PM
yes, make tee tress graddually dissapear, and ill do al the rest myself. Thx for thelp. :>

Jaxilon
09-16-2010, 10:46 PM
Do you want to do the labels then as well?

Jaxilon
09-17-2010, 01:42 AM
Is this how you meant for the trees "fading out" towards the north?

I also tweaked ever so slightly the mountains.

I removed the title label since I wasn't sure what you wanted to do with that. If you want it back just let me know as it's on it's own layer. I can also label the rest if you have names, if not I'll let you have at it. If you notice anything screwed up anywhere let me know and we can get it fixed up.

Also, let me know when you are taking it over and I will consider it finished. (I may add my own generic label stuff just to have a more finished look for my portfolio).

Thanks for your request, it's been a fun project.

PS. looks like the scraper strikes again

mearrin69
09-17-2010, 02:07 AM
Looks pretty good! I like the colors a lot. And, have some rep (if I can) for helping out the new guy...hopefully he'll "pay it forward" some day.
M

Jaxilon
09-17-2010, 02:58 AM
Thanks mearrin, I'm sure if he sticks around here long enough he will.

Diamond
09-17-2010, 05:28 AM
It's cool lookin'. Can't rep you again right now, but it's there in spirit. :D

Deadclock7
09-17-2010, 08:25 AM
Perfect, thanks for the help, and ill do the rest.
Great work.

Jaxilon
09-17-2010, 12:43 PM
You are welcome man. What are you planning to use this for anyway, if you don't mind my asking?

Deadclock7
09-17-2010, 06:50 PM
Writing, ima a 14 year old writter, have a lot of critisim.

Jaxilon
09-17-2010, 07:00 PM
That's cool. Not sure what "have a lot of critisim" means but hats off to you, keep working at it. Maybe someday I can say, "Yeah, I helped him out with the map for that world way back when he was 14."

Aval Penworth
09-17-2010, 07:45 PM
Writing, ima a 14 year old writter, have a lot of critisim.

Well that explains a lot

jtougas
09-17-2010, 08:18 PM
14?? Nobody told me there was a 14...Somebody owes me a refund....Oh wait that was a hundred years ago..never mind on the refund...Oh and that map came out awesome Jax..

Jaxilon
09-17-2010, 08:24 PM
Thanks jt.

As far as 14 goes, I think it's pretty impressive that nobody noticed that sooner. It shows that by and large he's conducted himself well here.

jtougas
09-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Yep. I wasn't near as "focused" at 14. I like the fact that he's writing at that age. and has a coherent idea on which direction he's going. (why am I talking like he's not in the "room" )

Aval Penworth
09-17-2010, 09:28 PM
Yep. I wasn't near as "focused" at 14. I like the fact that he's writing at that age. and has a coherent idea on which direction he's going. (why am I talking like he's not in the "room" )

Hey, from what I've seen of you, your not that focused now. Perhaps you have entered your second childhood

jtougas
09-17-2010, 10:13 PM
Hey, from what I've seen of you, your not that focused now. Perhaps you have entered your second childhood

*ahem* I meant HE was focused I know I'm a flake...:P

Deadclock7
09-17-2010, 11:05 PM
Whell, my teacher said my work is as good as "Colllege students", mabey better, but i'm writting a fnatasy book titled "Feilds of suradan". Gona be like 500-1000 pages, if im lucky and published by 2012, when the finished making the 60million dollar stadium at allen texas, cuz im in band, and football.
Just if you wondering, I play Tenor Sax.

Deadclock7
09-17-2010, 11:08 PM
Was inspired by the "Tale Tell Heart" last year in 8th grade. I sucked at writing before i read that book, and now im a natural, IDK why.

mearrin69
09-17-2010, 11:15 PM
LOL. Well Poe's a good one to emulate (just the writing, please, not the life-style). He had a way with words. The Tell-Tale Heart always gets my heart racing a bit even though I've read it many times.
M

rdanhenry
09-18-2010, 12:13 AM
One word of warning: You'll stand a much better chance of being published if your first book is under 100,000 words. Huge books do sell, but generally only from established authors and often as parts of established series (compare early to late Harry Potter novel lengths as one obvious example).

jtougas
09-18-2010, 12:29 AM
3 words L.Ron. Hubbard......

Eilathen
09-18-2010, 09:43 AM
Wow, 14 and writing. I knew a girl who also wrote with 14 (she started even younger) and what can i say...she was very talented. Her stories rocked. So I hope your writing-adventure goes well, Deadclock7!
If you feel like it, post an excerpt. I am really curious now :)

Jaxilon
09-18-2010, 11:31 AM
I'm glad this thread has gone on for a bit because I woke up this morning and realized something Deadclock7... I did not post the correct borders for you. Here is JUST the layer for the Borders. You can add this to the main map and set the layer on Color (you can play around with other layer settings if you want to see some different looks). Hopefully, you haven't started editing the border version yet because this will allow you to have both versions in the same file. Just turn the border layer on or off for whichever you want. I also had the layer opacity set to 60% but you can play around with that as well.

Deadclock7
09-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Ty for that layer Jax

One word of warning: You'll stand a much better chance of being published if your first book is under 100,000 words. Huge books do sell, but generally only from established authors and often as parts of established series (compare early to late Harry Potter novel lengths as one obvious example).
Whell, ok i might make it a trilogy, mabey longer.

Deadclock7
09-18-2010, 01:15 PM
Ill post a sample tomorrow.

Diamond
09-18-2010, 04:31 PM
3 words L.Ron. Hubbard......

First rule of L. Ron Hubbard: Don't talk about L. Ron Hubbard. :D