PDA

View Full Version : August/September Entry The Abyssal Plane Of Despair- Domain Of The Dragonqueen

jtougas
09-13-2010, 03:20 AM
Well I've been working on this for a few days and this is what I came up with. Last minute but I wanted to give one of these challenges a try.

Backstory:

The Abyssal Plane of Despair floats atop an endless sea of grey the hard cracked ground gives no comfort to the hapless souls trapped there doomed to exist in this bleak realm for eternity. The Plane Of Despair is ruled by the Dragonqueen; a Red dragon that so impressed it's evil masters that she was rewarded with eternal life in this dark place. She has gone utterly mad and delights in the torment that she inflicts on the screaming souls that inhabit this plane.

### Latest WIP ###

mearrin69
09-13-2010, 03:26 AM
Totally awesome map...and what a great concept! Have some rep!
M

jtougas
09-13-2010, 03:28 AM
Thanks Very Much!!

Jaxilon
09-13-2010, 03:36 AM
Yes, this does look great.

Steel General
09-13-2010, 06:29 PM
This turned out quite nicely...

jtougas
09-13-2010, 08:30 PM
Thanks everyone. This map has inspired me to do more Abyssal Planes. (at least I'll never run out...)

jtougas
09-13-2010, 08:58 PM
So here it is some small changes but I think it is done. This one was a lot of fun and win or lose it provided me with a lot of inspiration.

### Latest WIP ###

Avengeil
09-14-2010, 08:04 AM
This map looks wonderful and for a "last minute" project it is too good:).

Steel General
09-14-2010, 08:50 AM
If those are rivers of lava, you could make them look like they are spilling off the edge into 'abyss'...

mearrin69
09-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Looking better...more dramatic. I like SG's suggestion about the rivers spilling off. What are those, anyway? I see many different colors in them. Now that I look at it again zoomed a bit I see that the islands look a little flat. Maybe a little bevel (experiment to see what looks good but I wouldn't make it too dramatic) or hand-shading to suggest edges? Maybe some suggestions of hills or mountains if this realm has them? Just some thoughts...there might not be time. Still, very impressive for such a short time spent on it!
M

jtougas
09-14-2010, 11:10 AM
After listening to the sage advice of my fellow members I think I've got it...The "islands" look much better with a little depth. Oh and here's a quick explanations of the "rivers"

The Sorrowruns

Great rivers of sorrow split the main islands of the Plane. These "rivers" run like great torrents of emotion drained from the souls that inhabit this horrific place. From her lair in Darchome, The Dragonqueen uses these rivers to sustain her endless life.

### Latest WIP ###

mearrin69
09-14-2010, 01:35 PM
I'm "feeling" it a bit more with that revision. I didn't say before but I really like the font. Is that Trajan Pro? I like the understated labeling but maybe the main title could benefit from some sort of effects? Nothing garish, just something to call it out a bit.

If Darchome is the "capital" of this plane maybe it's symbol should stand out a bit more? I'd reduce the size of the others rather than making that one bigger.

Just some thoughts.

So what's the story with the grey/brown and blueish rocky terrain. Are they distinctive or is that just a lighting feature?
M

jtougas
09-14-2010, 02:12 PM
Thanks mearrin for the feedback. I did what you suggested and I like the result. Oh and yes the font is Trajan Pro. There is something about it that I really like maybe its the font's ability to "codify" something as abstract as despair. And for your enjoyment a description of "The Soul Pits" (the bluish gray area on the map)

The Soul Pits

Even souls can be exhausted of all usable byproducts. After being used and reused by not only the Dragonqueen but by the Abyssal Lords above and below her in rank, and by countless Demons for various purposes, the exhausted husks of souls end here in vast fields of ash. Countless souls will writhe and eventually dissolve on these horrible plains that are stalked by all manner of lowest Demons desperately scratching for sustenance.

### Latest WIP ###

jtougas
09-15-2010, 03:57 PM
I'd like to thank everyone for all the feedback on this project this was a lot of fun. Just to be clear in case anyone is wondering all the descriptions of the map including the explanations snippets are original. I find myself fascinated with the Abyss and have done a fair bit of writing about it. My stuff tends to differ from the D+D stuff that's out there although of course it's inspired by it. There will be more maps of the Abyss because this one was just too much fun!!