PDA

View Full Version : August/September entry: Collapsed Bunker

RecklessEnthusiasm
09-13-2010, 03:14 PM
Oh for goodness' sake, only two days left and for some reason I decided I needed to jump into this and give it a shot! I think I must have an appetite for self-punishment.

Anyway, not enough battle maps, so I'll have to 'fill that gap' if you'll pardon the map-related pun. Not sure if this concept really works with the Rorschach or not, but hey, it's practice.

If anyone has any ideas for how to spruce this up, I'd welcome the C&C.

Ascension
09-13-2010, 03:36 PM
I can dig it. I can even dig the idea of the fallen tree but this particular one looks fuzzy and stamped on. I have no idea how to make a better one, though. :)

mearrin69
09-13-2010, 04:14 PM
I think maybe if you shaded it to imply roundness? That would fix up the tree. My biggest question when I look at the map, however, is "what happened here"? It's not a sinkhole. Maybe an underground structure caved in? If so, maybe you could hint at that with some bits of stone block that didn't fall in? Or, if it's modern or post-apocalyptic (which it sort of feels like), you could throw in some concrete or re-bar. I vote for P-A (of course!) and suggest putting some tires and other junk on the surface! I mean, this world's totally dead...so how could it not be after the bomb? :)
M

Diamond
09-13-2010, 06:16 PM
You could change the 'black holes' to lakes of lava or something...

RecklessEnthusiasm
09-14-2010, 02:24 AM
SG - thanks for calling my out on that. It is one ugly tree. I'll work on it, if I decide to keep it. I wasn't even sure I wanted one...

Mearring - I think you're on to something with the P-A theme. I didn't really know what to do with the sinkholes, and rubar is a good start. I have decided this will be a collapsed bunker, so you should see me filling in the black a little bit to hint at what is beneath. current rubar is a placeholder until I can put a nicer version in. Also added some tire marks to hint that this isn't a standard fantasy map. I think this'll have a 'fallout' feel if I can manage to finish it in time.

Diamond - I thought about something like that, but everyone is doing lakes and islands, so I thought I would try to make the shapes just represent empty space. We'll see if I stick to that, though.

Only one day left to work on this thing!? Better get cracking! I know how I'll be spending my lunch break today. Um--if anyone can edit titles, can you please change mine to "August/September entry: Collapsed Bunker"?

Jaxilon
09-14-2010, 02:45 AM
This is cool. I like it although I'm not sure why...hehe, I know that sounds odd but maybe it's the colors. It's just got that sad lost derelict look.

mearrin69
09-14-2010, 03:35 AM
Hah! That's what I'm talking 'bout. Looks great!
M

RecklessEnthusiasm
09-14-2010, 06:15 AM
Like I said, working on my lunch break -- rapid fire C&C welcome so I can actually get something presentable before the end. So, it is a collapsed bunker, added huge pits in the ground to make people think of explosions, which would also explain the cave-in. Added some shrubs, an entrance, and a chain-link fence along the top--not sure if that fence looks good or not--I like the idea of the shadows implying what it is more than the areal profile, but it might just look sloppy?

Still haven't worked on the ugly-tree--I swear I'll get to it.

I am thinking about adding more blood splatters (you can spot them if you zoom in and look hard enough) and maybe some discarded weaponry? I'd like spent shell casings, but they would be too small to see...

Avengeil
09-14-2010, 07:08 AM
And yet another last minute entry that is looking great.I am finding that things are getting quite interesting now, at the end of the challenge.

mearrin69
09-14-2010, 08:54 AM
If anything I trim back the re-bar in places and the "chunk up" and whiten up the concrete a little (it's pretty dark grey). You've got pretty solid strips of re-bar and concrete and I'd expect it to be a bit more patchy. It's morbid but take a look at the pictures of the World Trade Center site, or any modern destroyed building to get an idea of what I mean. You're probably right that a bunker ceiling would likely have a criss-crossing grid of metal to give it strength but it might also have some beams? Just some thoughts.
M

RecklessEnthusiasm
09-14-2010, 09:45 AM
Trying a chain-link-fence border. Not sure if I like it (I think I might not). Feel free to let me know what you think. Made the door to the bunker angled down with steps, so you have to descend into it. I think I achieved the perspective-effect I meant to. Also, A little trimming of the rubar--I am not sure I know what you mean about "chunking" mearrin--do you mean chunks should be hanging from the rubar, separated from the wall, or just that the edge around the holes should look cracked and not as smooth? Both would be valid points. Tried to fix up the tree--I think it looks a little less fuzzy and a matches a little better now...

But should I remove the tree? I mean, roots run deep, and there is a huge bunker beneath it. I suppose the tree could have been dragged over on top of the hole, but why would someone do that?! But, I also feel like the tree gives something additional to focus on, which benefits the whole. Grrr, I don't know what to do..

Aval Penworth
09-14-2010, 09:55 AM
Nah, dont think the borders adds anything, although the shadows are quite clever.

RecklessEnthusiasm
09-15-2010, 01:00 AM
Aval - I agree, fences removed. I liked the idea, but I'll have to include them in something else, when I have more time to fiddle with the idea. Also decided to keep the tree--I figure it was a dead or fake tree used to camouflage the bunker, which explains why it fell over so easily!

Okay, I have a really busy day today, so I don't think I am going to get any more time to work on this (should have started earlier of course), but I am proud to have come up with a more-or-less complete last-minute entry. I'd really like to collect a full set of three silvers one of these days.

### Latest WIP ###

Diamond
09-15-2010, 01:12 AM
That's impressive work. The tree looks very good now; good call leaving it in. What about adding in some half-buried skeletons? Or would that just be overkill?

mearrin69
09-15-2010, 04:44 AM
Looking great. Yeah, I meant trim back the bar a bit...make it more irregular...and add some chunks of concrete still stuck to it. Buried skeletons would be super cool and convey that the "disaster" happened a while back. Might not be possible in the time remaining however. The entry looks a lot better. I think the tree is fine. Nice map. It's not an immediately obvious use of the shapes provided so I really dig it. Oh. And. It's P-A, so it'll be high on my list of maps to vote for. I need about 10 votes this challenge.
M

RecklessEnthusiasm
09-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the compliments and criticisms, guys. I just really wanted to create something where the shapes were negative space, rather than oceans or land or whatever. I feel like I accomplished my goal. Now, to see how voting goes! Hopefully it will be listed as "Collapsed Bunker"...

Steel General
09-15-2010, 01:35 PM
We can change the thread title if you'd like...

RecklessEnthusiasm
09-15-2010, 01:39 PM
That would be sweet! Thanks, SG.

Steel General
09-15-2010, 01:50 PM
Thread title changed as requested... :)

jtougas
09-15-2010, 03:15 PM
Another great use of the shapes...and I thought I was clever....great concept!!

tilt
09-15-2010, 04:55 PM
didn't see this thread before now.. looking really good RE, and a great idea :)