PDA

View Full Version : A Yurt - for the Nomad within

Jaxilon
09-14-2010, 05:55 PM
The challenge was to create a location where a party of adventurers could meet, group up and head out for the wilds of adventure. The Tavern/Inn was too obvious and I usually try to think outside the box and that's when I thought of a Yurt. I think the modern ones are quite sexy and I figured it would at least be different. I didn't win the challenge but had a lot of fun and it did pretty well in the votes. I think this may be headed to the CWBP which, if true, is pretty awesome in my opinion.

I had the most fun imagining and making up all the little areas inside. The War table with the map and books is my favorite. Folks called the welcome mat a 'goat head' but in fact I thought of it as an angry Donkey who says, "Don't Jack with the Yurt". :)

mearrin69
09-14-2010, 06:18 PM
I said so before but will again: great map! As to the CWBP, Argria (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?8176-Region-1-Map-27-Town-01-Argria) wants YOU(r yurt)! I've got to get back to that map but there are plenty of yurts on the western edge of the city. Yours would fit in nicely. A wealthy clan, I would think!
M

Aval Penworth
09-14-2010, 08:45 PM
I like it. Good use of colour and arrangement. I am gonna rep you for this and the othe cool projects you have done lately.

lisze
09-21-2010, 01:06 AM
I really like this image. Yes, it is vibrant and creative, but what I really like are the implied moments. I mean, who left that book on their sleeping blankets? What are they reading? Who all came for a late meal? Did anyone fuss over who got which pillow? You've given us all these hints at life, potential stories. That's why I keep looking at this yurt again and again.

Jaxilon
09-21-2010, 02:16 AM
@ lisze: Thank you, that has to be one of the best compliments I've heard. It is exactly what I love to find when I look at maps myself, things that make my imagination wander down a path for a moment. To sense a story there and have to imagine what it might be...yeah, I like that too.

JiveMiguel
09-27-2010, 08:59 PM
Nice! I want a yurt for my backyard now!