PDA

View Full Version : CD3: Living near the Inner City Walls of Bragar

Katto
09-15-2010, 06:28 PM
So, this will be just a part of a city map. I've tried a few new styles (houses, shape and textures) with CD3. Of course, it is not finished yet and I will change much of it (I think). The symbols used are part of Shessar's Map collection. What do you think so far?
btw: Bragar is the capital of the Independent Islands in my Re'Skaal continent :) (I think this will explain the large inner city walls).

Jaxilon
09-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Looks good to me. I was wondering if you could shadow the Merlins along the top of the castle wall it make it pop a bit more.

jtougas
09-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Looks Great nice detail work too!!

Steel General
09-15-2010, 08:53 PM
Lookin' good so far...

Katto
09-16-2010, 04:35 PM
@Jax: what do you mean with "Merlins"? The battlements (my dictionary told me that word) or the city towers? Both could be realised with PS, but you can not change selective parts of a bmp in CC3.
I tried different ground textures today and added a few chimneys, water troughs etc. Another update will follow in a few days.

Ascension
09-16-2010, 05:08 PM
The Merlins are the lil fireball-throwin dudes hiding behind the battlements so you can't see them :)

NeonKnight
09-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Merlon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merlon

Merlin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merlin

mearrin69
09-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Wow. That's a great map...I really like the style. The only things that jump out at me are 1) your market could be a little more active, and 2) your L-shaped buildings would look better IMO with "flashing" (or whatever it's called) along the ridge on the exterior bend...I looked around a bit and it looks like all other ridges have them. Have some rep, because this is really pretty!
M

Edit: Oh, yeah, and trees and bushes...but I assume you just haven't gotten to them yet.

Katto
09-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Thanks for all the comments, especially mearrin! You're right the market place was just an experiment and I've expanded it in the actual version. I've also added a few chimneys, trees and bushes. Some parts have a "dirty texture" now and I removed the buildings with the simple grey ridge. I will also add a few barrels and crates next to the houses and a few houses in the inner city wall. The CC3 effects are also just preliminary at the moment.

mearrin69
09-17-2010, 06:20 PM
Yeah. That little extra detail really makes it pop. I like the building with the courtyard near the marketplace.

I don't imagine you're going to change it in this map, given how close to finished you seem to be, but some of the houses are pretty off-square (rhombus-shaped or whatever the correct term is). I think it's maybe a function of you trying to fit them to the streets. If you're having trouble finding them, look at the row just north of the fountain to see what I mean.

Definitely liking the overall feel of the map. Nice colors and tone and great details.
M

Ascension
09-17-2010, 11:02 PM
Looks really nice Kman...love the walls.

Aval Penworth
09-18-2010, 09:36 AM
some of the houses are pretty off-square (rhombus-shaped or whatever the correct term is).M

Most 'squares' are really rhombuses, quietly hoping that no one will notice.

mearrin69
09-18-2010, 12:12 PM
Yeah. Been a while since geometry :) Rhombus just means that the opposite sides of a four-sided shape are parallel doesn't it...or is that parellogram? Eh. Time to visit Wikipedia for remedial geometry lessons.
M

Katto
09-18-2010, 03:01 PM
I didn't want to use rectangular house shapes because most people outside the inner city walls are poor. The important buildings are rectangular. It should also be a contrast to the houses inside the city wall as you can see in the new picture :)

mearrin69
09-18-2010, 03:21 PM
I does indeed. I was thinking that the lower half of the map was the inside of the city. Now that you've added the buildings at the top, I get the idea.
M

Katto
09-23-2010, 05:28 PM
I think the map is finished.But perhaps I have forgotten something? Please let me know...

mearrin69
09-23-2010, 07:38 PM
I can't think of a thing. Looks awesome to me. Was going to rep you but I guess I already did! :)
M

evilref
09-28-2010, 06:56 AM
Nice use of the houses from Shessar's collection. Out of curiosity, where did you get the texture for the ground from?

Aval Penworth
09-28-2010, 07:18 AM
Love it. Well done Katto.

Katto
09-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks Aval!
Evilref: From the SMAC I used the city wall pieces and the little props like animals, chimneys, market stands etc. The houses were made with CD3. The cobblestone is a free texture I found on a german website and the ground texture was created with the Genetica Viewer and then modified in PS.
btw: Welcome to the Guild!

evilref
09-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Thanks, been lurking for a long while. Historically I've mostly used Dundjinni for battlemaps (printing an average of an A2 map a week for my game) but having recently picked up a swathe of Profantasy products and branching out into photoshop maps as well, I figured I'd better stop lurking and start asking more questions.

Katto
09-28-2010, 05:56 PM
You really should start to post your WIP's to get constructive feedback. Lurking for two years you should know that this is a very friendly community and you can only benefit from it :).