PDA

View Full Version : Hello All!

texturemate
09-15-2010, 09:40 PM
Stumbled across this site looking at some gimp guides. Very cool! I created an account so I can view some of the map artwork! It has been a long, long time since I have created any, maybe I can find some old ones to post. Lately I've been uploading my textures and brushes to share with others. You can find them at http://www.texturemate.com , they may be useful for creating some cool grungy paper effects! I have been told I need more paper textures and am currently working on it...

jtougas
09-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Welcome!! and for me you can never have too many textures or brushes..

mearrin69
09-15-2010, 10:39 PM
Welcome to the Guild...and thanks for sharing! Have some rep for that.
M

NeonKnight
09-16-2010, 01:10 AM
Welcome to the Guild!

Steel General
09-16-2010, 06:14 AM
Welcome Aboard!

tilt
09-16-2010, 06:35 AM
welcome to the guild, looks like a little treasure trove of textures you got going there... and we can always use more.. and more... so thanks for sharing :) and I hope to see you mapping in here too :)

Redrobes
09-16-2010, 07:23 AM
That's a wicked site and one you should add to the resources section if you haven't already. There's a thread in there about texture sources so do post.

I made a thread about making textures seamless here:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?1373-Tutorial-on-how-to-create-seamless-textures-out-of-anything

which has a free script using ImageMagick so you can automatically try it on all of yours and see which ones worked out ok. RobA converted the guts of the script into a GIMP plug in so there's one or two threads on that too - his sig has the links I believe.

I like the CGTextures site which is similar but we found that their license prevented the use of the textures in CC licensed works so I still use them but I can do a lot of what I want with those textures now.

texturemate
09-16-2010, 08:23 AM
Ok thanks! I'll be sure to post it in the thread. I am going to hunt around for that Gimp plugin; I am always working on seamless stuff and something better then Gimp's standard filter would be awesome. Lately, I have been using Genetica for decent results. Made some ok seamless grass and brick. My next thing to work on is some wood I think.

CGTextures is a great site; they have tons and tons of stuff. I've talked to the guy that runs it and it is true that he likes to 'tighten down' his textures a little more with paid licensing and bandwidth limits, etc.

Ramah
09-16-2010, 08:32 AM
What a wonderful site. Have some reputation and welcome to the guild. :)

tilt
09-16-2010, 09:40 AM
now that you're talking about wood... some nice floor board seamless textures would be awesome - I found some beautiful ones on Deviant Art, but the license were hampering so I'm still looking :)

Steel General
09-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Spiral Graphics (Genetica) has a separate program for developing wood textures (http://www.spiralgraphics.biz/ww_overview.htm) and it's FREE as well.

texturemate
09-16-2010, 09:23 PM
I had seen their wood workshop before and never tried it. I guess I figured it must not be too good since it's free. Now looking at it, maybe I was wrong! Gonna play with it some more...