PDA

View Full Version : [Withdrawn] September October Challenge: New Vikingland York

Juggernaut1981
09-17-2010, 12:18 AM
I thought about this for a bit and I'd like to speculate wildly on what NYC may look like if it was instead settled first by the Vikings (who did manage to get to North America). With my Shetland heritage (read: small islands used as a stop-off for Vikings before going to England) I've got a soft-ish spot for the Horn-Wearing Beard-Toting Non-Motor-Cycle-Riding Raiders of the 1100s-1300s.

So I think I will be reshaping NYC as the modernist progression of a Viking Settlement. Woot, time for ambition ++ on the second map. *blinks* 2 months, create a game and reshape a major city around a water-based raiding culture of the 1100s... nope, no Big Hairy Audacious Goals here...

Juggernaut1981
09-17-2010, 07:20 AM
Note: I'm still thinking of a possible 3rd map hitting on the Occultist/Wizardry Theme. Just trying to push one idea out so I can concentrate on the VikingLand Idea.

tilt
09-17-2010, 07:29 AM
YEAH... VIKINGS... !!! ... and by my heritage I got a soft spot for them too... actually thought about vikings earlier today, thought about making a map of where they sailed/raided/traded. I'm telling you, if the vikings had bred faster and settled where they sailed to, half the world would be wearing horns *lol*
I'm looking very much forward to this :)

Steel General
09-17-2010, 08:09 AM
The whole horned helmet thing is pretty much been proven as 'bunk' - but they do look cool! ;D

tilt
09-17-2010, 08:10 AM
The whole horned helmet thing is pretty much been proven as 'bunk' - but they do look cool! ;D

shhhhh... we don't talk about that ;)

Juggernaut1981
09-17-2010, 08:45 AM
Bah! A lack of horned helmets is trivial compared to giant red beards with plaits in them.
Here's a draft. NYC is now called Heimdalland, after Heimdall the sentry to Asgard.
### Latest WIP ###

Juggernaut1981
09-19-2010, 02:18 AM
Here is the next update. Labels put in, bits and pieces scattered around the map, etc. Not sure how much more "artwork" I will add to it. I'm thinking I should certainly add in some bridges and maybe some subways/tunnels. Everything has been renamed based on proper colonisation by Vikings.
### Latest WIP ###