PDA

View Full Version : World Map

Slylok
09-19-2010, 02:39 AM
Greetings All,

I'm beginning a new World Map. Here is what i have so far. not much yet but more to come very soon.

jtougas
09-19-2010, 04:08 AM
Nice start, I really like the colors.

Slylok
09-20-2010, 02:43 AM
Thanks Jtougas!

Im making up this world as i go along. I think i have all the mountain ranges where i want them and ive started to rough some in. Up until i started putting in the mountains, i had done the whole thing with a mouse. Using my Wacom tablet to draw all the mountains now. Its gonna take a while doing it all by hand, but i think the end result will end up better and i dont mind because i'm burning some scented oil, listening to some ambient relaxation music, have the fan blowing gently with a slow oscillation, and have the lights down to a warm glow. I could draw mountains all night with this atmosphere, however the human body almost never fails to remind me that it needs to recharge. Blasted human needs are getting in the way of my mapping...

anyway, good night and critiques are welcome

Slylok
09-26-2010, 12:15 AM
Got sidetracked with the mountains. played with the colors and added a few little touches to the map. ill get back to the mountains soon.

Aval Penworth
09-27-2010, 07:34 AM
Looking great so far. I like the colours and the border. The mountains are nicely done too. (middle range isn't quite as good as the others IMHO) Well done.

Slylok
10-04-2010, 11:48 PM
Decided to change the style of this map. the roughed in sketches are just ideas i had for the art aspect of this style. i was thinking of a sort of good vs evil theme with all the good things of this realm being portrayed on the top and the evil on the bottom. as far as the map itself goes, im gonna show boundaries and the names of countries and cities. i may put in some faint mountains and rivers. Its been fun getting it to this point.

Diamond
10-05-2010, 05:52 AM
It looks gorgeous, dude. Keep on truckin'. Had to rep you even tho it's not done yet.

geamon
10-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Really digging the way this is turning out. The four perspectives of the globe really makes it pop. Keep it up!

Slylok
10-11-2010, 12:48 AM
added a few things. Im planning on doing air, fire, water, and earth portrayals in the corners around the globes. only have air done so far. still gotta label all the cities and bodies of water and i think ive decided to illustrate a time line of this realm's history in the boxes on the top and bottom of the map.

any input is welcome.:)

jtougas
10-11-2010, 01:37 AM
Wow that is beautiful !! watching this eagerly.. :)

arakish
10-11-2010, 02:21 PM
I love the change to the old world style. Looking really good so far. I'll be watching this as it develops.

rmfr

Slylok
10-23-2010, 08:31 PM
haven't had as much time as i would have liked to work on this lately, but here is what i have at this point. I redid the equator line which i wasn't happy with on my last update. the main thing i've been working on is the names and places of cities and provinces in schataria. Since im making this place up as i go along, im finding that it takes alot of time to come up with the names of places because im considering the history of the region and the type of culture and environment of the location. Some of the names will probably change as i develop more of a history and story for this world.

made a couple different attempts at the style of mountains i wanted to use and ended up with these. what do you guys think?

also added another little art piece under the top view.

critiques welcome!

thomryng
10-25-2010, 04:31 PM
I really dig the hemispheric style.

Can I ask how you set that up? Using that sort of projection would solve some serious headaches I'm having with a world map at the moment.

Hai-Etlik
10-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Can I ask how you set that up? Using that sort of projection would solve some serious headaches I'm having with a world map at the moment.

It looks like a faked Azimuthal Equidistant projection, or maybe some other azimuthal projection. The polar insets give away the fakeing most clearly if you look really carefully, but it is a clever bit of fakery for a purely decorative map.

thomryng
10-25-2010, 05:38 PM
It looks like a faked Azimuthal Equidistant projection, or maybe some other azimuthal projection. The polar insets give away the fakeing most clearly if you look really carefully, but it is a clever bit of fakery for a purely decorative map.

Ah, I'm all about fakery - "clever" I'll have to work on. ;)

Thanks for the tip on projections. I think I'm on the right trail now.

Hai-Etlik
10-25-2010, 05:46 PM
Ah, I'm all about fakery - "clever" I'll have to work on. ;)

Thanks for the tip on projections. I think I'm on the right trail now.

I'd suggest Stereographic over Equidistant Azimuthal, just do a search for 'Wulff Net' and you should find plenty of templates you can use for the graticule (just be careful to check the license, a public domain example shouldn't be too much work to find.)

Slylok
10-26-2010, 09:36 AM
Yeah i totally did all the lines by eye with the eliptical path tool. it took me around 4 or 5 attempts to get it to where it is. for the vertical lines, I did one half of the hemisphere and then copied and flipped it horizontally. then did half of the horizontal lines and flipped them vertically. for both, once i got the lines in the right place, i stroked the path with a brush and erased all the lines outside of the hemisphere.

I wish i would have known what the lines were called before hand. It would have saved alot of time=) really makes you respect those old cartographers.

tilt
10-26-2010, 10:09 AM
Beautiful map... now I'm no expert on these kinds of maps, but the lines seems a little strong to me? ... Love the air elements, especially the angel - can't wait to see the map finished :)

Slylok
10-26-2010, 11:13 AM
the lines seems a little strong to me?

Agreed. I have since toned them down so the world would not seem like it was behind bars lol.

thomryng
10-26-2010, 05:47 PM
Yeah i totally did all the lines by eye with the eliptical path tool. it took me around 4 or 5 attempts to get it to where it is. for the vertical lines, I did one half of the hemisphere and then copied and flipped it horizontally. then did half of the horizontal lines and flipped them vertically. for both, once i got the lines in the right place, i stroked the path with a brush and erased all the lines outside of the hemisphere.

I wish i would have known what the lines were called before hand. It would have saved alot of time=) really makes you respect those old cartographers.

Well, I found the Wulff net on Wikicommons, but I still had to put together the circular "frames" by hand. The bits for the individual degrees proved a bit tricky, as the actual distance between the ten-degree arcs on Wulff net are not a fixed distance apart. I ended up rotating a series of copied lines between .9 and 1.15 degrees for half a hemisphere and then copying and flipping them.

Whew!

Slylok
10-26-2010, 06:23 PM
Well, I found the Wulff net on Wikicommons, but I still had to put together the circular "frames" by hand. The bits for the individual degrees proved a bit tricky, as the actual distance between the ten-degree arcs on Wulff net are not a fixed distance apart. I ended up rotating a series of copied lines between .9 and 1.15 degrees for half a hemisphere and then copying and flipping them.

Whew!

wow, i can see how that would be tricky. I actually did the frame first and then the projection lines. how did it turn out for you?

thomryng
10-26-2010, 07:00 PM
wow, i can see how that would be tricky. I actually did the frame first and then the projection lines. how did it turn out for you?

Not perfect, but not horrible: 30437

Slylok
10-26-2010, 08:08 PM
That's pretty sweet. I really like the way the border criss-crosses in the middle.

thomryng
10-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Thanks, that part was a sudden bit of inspiration.

Slylok
10-28-2010, 03:42 PM
Added the fire element in the upper right corner of the globe. Im pretty happy with how it turned out, though it puts my air element to shame and i will need to redo it. I also added a wave pattern to the ocean and made the projection lines less prominent.

Long way to go still.

tilt
10-28-2010, 03:52 PM
very nice - your own work?

Slylok
10-28-2010, 04:26 PM
very nice - your own work?

Absolutely! :D

Troedel
10-29-2010, 04:14 AM
Im stunned. This is a great wip and gets better with every update. I wish I could draw like this.

Steel General
10-29-2010, 08:16 AM
This is really quite nice so far, looking forward to seeing the finished 'product' :)

Slylok
10-30-2010, 03:33 AM
Thank you all for the compliments :)

Created and added the "evil" element to balance out the "good" element. Too dark?

tilt
10-30-2010, 06:47 AM
nope - looks great :)

tilt
10-30-2010, 12:02 PM
the evil part looks great :)

Slylok
11-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Well I got a little sidetracked with this WIP. While waiting for a co-developer's input for the names and locations of different places in this world, i decided to start working on the depictions of the different environments of this world. Like the maps of old that used artwork to show the terrain, types of creatures, people, and plant life in the empty spaces of the paper. I ended up coming up with a totally different concept. Please keep in mind that i'm still developing my skills with photoshop and that this is only the fifth or sixth piece of art that i have done totally in PS. I know that there is still alot that i could do with it before it is finished, but i got sidetracked from being sidetracked trying to learn another software program, Unity3d.

Anyway, I was thinking i may incorporate it into the map some how. Maybe replace that other dragon representing fire with this one since it looks better. I should be getting back to this map soon since ill have the names of places to add very soon.

arsheesh
11-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Wow! I absolutely love the style of this map! And the fact that you have furnished it with your own artwork is very impressive. Kudos!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Aval Penworth
11-20-2010, 04:12 AM
Cool. I'm more impressed by the painting than I am by the map...both are fantastic.

Slylok
11-27-2010, 03:07 AM
Started working on this again.

Ascension
11-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Love the angels...I have a thing for angels.

Jaxilon
11-27-2010, 04:31 PM
sweet looking map Slylok

Vorhees
11-27-2010, 07:21 PM
Great Work mate , cant wait to see the World Finished

Sonnenfalke
11-27-2010, 07:42 PM
great map ... i love the style and the angels too ^^

Slylok
12-10-2010, 11:12 PM
I started this map over from scratch. Mainly because I was getting away from what I originally had in mind. Also, the projection lines were driving me crazy. The technique i used to place them left them horribly inaccurate. the western hemisphere landmass shape was bothering me too.

This version is much more accurate including the land masses depicted in the poles. I made the borders of the globes more interesting to look at too.

moutarde
12-11-2010, 12:37 AM
Nice Slylok, I like your style :)

Slylok
12-14-2010, 11:44 PM
Thanks Moutarde! I like yours as well. You're current WIP is quite impressive.

Here is my latest update since i started over... again lol. I'm much happier with how it is turning out this time around. Filling this thing up with names is gonna be a beast.

Any glaring mistakes or suggestions for improvement so far?

Aenigma
12-15-2010, 04:27 AM
I've been looking at the map for a while now, thinking about what's nagging me about it, and now I've got it!
Lakes - I'd like to see some lakes inlands. Some big, some small. Some close to the ocean (Like how Lake Ladoga is close to the sea, creating a small stretch of land. I like such things) and others closer to the mountains!

Slylok
12-15-2010, 09:06 AM
You're right Aenigma! The eastern continent doesn't have a single lake lol. Definitely gonna put in some more. Thanks for pointing it out :)

Slylok
12-20-2010, 09:40 PM
decided to work on some decoration today and to get the style all figured out. I think i have what i intended this time. once i get everything sketched in ill give it some color.

Ascension
12-20-2010, 11:46 PM
Looks great, man, so keep it up.

arsheesh
12-21-2010, 12:36 AM
Fantastic map! I love your custom sketches as well, they really add to the overall character of this piece. Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh.

Diamond
12-21-2010, 03:51 AM
Just beautiful, dude. Now see, if I could draw like that, I'd never leave my computer. :D

Slylok
01-17-2011, 11:14 PM
finally got motivated enough to start working on this again...

added some lakes, more cities, some lore that circles the borders of the globes, and started working on some art.

critiques welcome!

Gidde
01-17-2011, 11:50 PM
That's gorgeous! My only issue is that the mountains don't seem to match ... more stylized mountains may work better.

Ascension
01-17-2011, 11:55 PM
You nailed the colors, man...nice.

Slylok
01-18-2011, 01:24 AM
Thanks guys :)

That's gorgeous! My only issue is that the mountains don't seem to match ... more stylized mountains may work better.

Do you mean the mountains in the scene or the mountains on the map and would you elaborate on what you mean by stylized? thanks in advance :)

jtougas
01-18-2011, 01:31 AM
Stunning !! :)

Diamond
01-18-2011, 03:52 AM
Beautiful. I LOVE that scene, especially the faux-woodcut/crosshatch thing you've got going on there.

Naeddyr
01-18-2011, 05:38 AM
I really like your style. ;) Do you still do your projection stuff by hand, or do you use a program? And what is the scale of this world, if it's the same size as Earth, every country depicted there is bigger than Europe. :)

Sapiento
01-18-2011, 06:39 AM
Interesting technique for the crosshatch shadows.

Slylok
01-18-2011, 08:56 AM
I really like your style. ;) Do you still do your projection stuff by hand, or do you use a program? And what is the scale of this world, if it's the same size as Earth, every country depicted there is bigger than Europe. :)

Yes, all the projection lines were done in photoshop. I made horizontal and vertical lines and then used the arc function to get them at the proper curve. The size is nowhere near that of earth. Its probably more like the size of Asia.

As for the crosshatching, i'm still trying to perfect it.

Naeddyr
01-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Yes, all the projection lines were done in photoshop. I made horizontal and vertical lines and then used the arc function to get them at the proper curve. The size is nowhere near that of earth. Its probably more like the size of Asia.

My suggestion for projection maths is to embrace cartographic programs that convert from one projection to another. As long as you have a base-map in a common computer-friendly projection (== equirectangular) you can then use that base-map as the ingredient of a projection transformation that can give you dozens of different maps in interesting projections. Read up on cartography on Wikipedia, this stuff can honestly be quite interesting! :D

Nathan
01-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Wow. Really impressive !

Slylok
12-19-2011, 12:49 AM
I'm going to try and work on this again with any free time I get. Added some more locations and the angel decoration at the top. not sure what im going to put on the top as far as a scene goes, but for the bottom two I'm thinking of putting two armies poised for battle against each other. Im open for suggestions. Also my kids think the angels are men...They look like women to me, but some reassurance or other perspectives would be great.

ravells
12-19-2011, 04:50 PM
This is looking absolutely stunning, Slylock. Are you drawing those decorative images yourself? If yes, are you using a tablet or drawing onto paper and scanning? It's just gorgeous. The lions are fantastic. the map itself has a beautiful 'glow' to it. I really, really hope you finish this. When you do, head down to the printers, make a poster sized version and put it up on your wall!

cereth
12-20-2011, 12:22 AM
Excuse me while I pick my jaw up from the floor....this is just plain beautiful. I can't wait to see it finished.

Sapiento
12-20-2011, 03:49 AM
The new shadowing looks better IMO, although the first version was already very good and innovative.
I think the angels have a female look, but you can always argue that some angels are sexless, therefore they have an androgynous look.
The drawings themselves are excellent; if you didn't use templates (maybe even if) than you can call yourself lucky to be able to do this. I can't draw a good human face even if the fate of the world depends upon it.
Two armies sounds good. You could also go for a battle scene on one side, and a surrender scene on the other. Or some historical important places or events. Whatever, when you are finished do what ravells suggested.

Aetherius
12-20-2011, 11:32 AM
Amazing artwork! I love the detail, however the mountains seem more like pyramids. And not to be harsh or anything, but the names of the cities, capitals, ruins etc are very fantasy-esque. It can be a tad confusing for normal folks, but your attention to detail is impeccable!

Borthar
12-21-2011, 12:38 AM
Really like the scale world globe effect.