PDA

View Full Version : Advice to enhance my world

alucard339
11-21-2007, 10:23 PM
Hi to you all, most of you guys got great work here, so continue the great work.

Here's my dilemma and problem:
-I bought the first CC1 from profantasy then I move on with cc2 pro, with which if mostly finish my gaming world. But now I would like to get it up to a new fresh look, maybe something like Torq's map.
So what must I do: can I use a program to update some or all of of my layers or must I redo all the work?

-Also I'm still trying to figure out if I should really buy cc3 or not and stick with cc2 pro???

Thanks in advanced.

NeonKnight
11-21-2007, 11:45 PM
Well, I like your map, and I think to myself:

"WOW! If only he had CC3 to apply some effects to the map he already has!"

But then, that's me and I love CC3's versatility.

As to taking a map from CC2 and then utilising it in another program, I think (Think mind you), that you may need to save it in multiple files each time with only a certain layer exposed if you were wanting to take it into another program and work with it with individual layers.

alucard339
11-22-2007, 12:04 AM
Here's the map; have some fun, then let me know of ur result.

pyrandon
11-22-2007, 12:43 AM
Not knowing much about CC3, I'd imagine you would enjoy tweaking your maps, and your results would be satisfactory. But no matter what--WOW, what a big and detailed world you've created! Very impressive in that respect.

ravells
11-22-2007, 06:34 AM
If you want to 'convert' your map (which is lovely btw, I really like the way you've done the coast colours), to one like Torqs, then CC2 (as you've probably already guessed) will not do it for you. You will need a raster editing prog like the Gimp (which is an open source, free download). Obviously if you have a prog like photoshop, you might want to use that instead.

Here is what I suggest you do:

1. Download Gimp if you have not got it already. If you are not familiar with how Gimp works, I strongly suggest that you run through RobA's tutorial on creating an artistic map (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1142). Even if you do not want a map that looks like that, going through the tutorial will familiarise you with Gimp's tools and how to use them.

2. Make a copy of your existing map in CC2, but with just the outline of the landmasses in white against a black background and save that as a .BMP or PNG file.

3. Open that file in Gimp, and use RobA's tutorials on creating a not so random coastline (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=875)and creating heightmaps. (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1048) The advantage to these techniques is that you have a good degree of control over placement of your heightmaps so that they can follow the mountain terrain you already have.

4. Once you are happy with the results you can either reimport them back into CC2 as a .bmp and overlay your existing map elements on top or bring your CC2 detail into Gimp as a separate layer.

If you are not familiar with Gimp then this is going to be quite a learning process and probably not something you will be able to complete in a day, but stick with it. Becoming familiar with how to use a raster program like Gimp or photoshop is invaluable and when used in conjunction with CC2 can produce some beautiful results.

Ravs

Midgardsormr
11-22-2007, 07:59 AM
As to taking a map from CC2 and then utilising it in another program, I think (Think mind you), that you may need to save it in multiple files each time with only a certain layer exposed ...

Word to the wise: I'm not sure if CC2 works the same way, but when I tried this method with CC3, I had limited success because CC3 stretched sheets with less area out to the same resolution as layers with lots of area.

I think I have a workaround, though. Create a hollow rectangle that encompasses the entire map and copy it to each layer before exporting. When you save the layers, CC will calculate the resolution based on that border and should keep everything the same size.

I haven't tried it yet, but I have high hopes.

Edit: I just noticed the names in the southern portion of the map. I didn't recognize it at first due to the license you took with the geography. Is this Randland post-Wheel of Time? Or did you just use the world as a seed and reimagine it?

NeonKnight
11-22-2007, 01:38 PM
So I did a quick conversion of your map (DEAR LORD IT IS HUGE!)

Problem is, it is sooooooooo huge it is hard to get the various effects to look good from all views :(

But, here it is anyways.

alucard339
11-22-2007, 04:08 PM
Thanks guys, I will download gimp and try it, then post the result.

I think; I'll ask CC3 for Christmas...

As for my world, here its story:

1999) I start reproducing the AD&D Birthright world with cc1 my landmass is the Anuire and Rjuirk kingdom inversed.

2001) We start to play D20 Sovering Stone campaign, so I decide reproduce the map, cause the one in the campaign book sucks.

2003) When they stop the S.S. campaign I made a quick check in my own books and create EL-Hazard with Vinnengael has Wheel of time.

20004) we finish the wheel of time adventure and we though it miss too many places for a normal world, so I went looking for something.

2005-2006) the final El-hazard world:
-Tromek = D20 Rokungan (Legend of 5 rings).
-Nimra = D&D Mystara, Azcan in the hollow world.
-Grak = D&D Mystara, kingdom of the orcs.
-Vinnengael = WoT for the country name and the general shape of the country + palladium rift medieval Timoro kingdom for the town and roads.
-Po'Gah = Dragonlance, south Ergoth island (made in 2001) + D20 swashbuckler (7th sea)
for the midnight archipelago.
-Dunkarga = AD&D Darksun + ravenloft Har'Akir domain.
-Trevenici = D20 slaine (a conan like campaign setting).
-Iceland = A made up ice country whit some childhood memory of Might & Magic 3.

I could post the whole world story + games rules, but you will have to read French...

alucard339
11-22-2007, 04:20 PM
Here 3 maps made with cc:
- one is the 7th sea campaign
- one is Birthright anuire and Rjurik kingdom contour (with cc1)
- one is the original cc1 ergoth map

have fun looking at the old stuff.

jaerdaph
11-23-2007, 11:59 PM
- one is the 7th sea campaign

I really like your 7th Sea map but it threw me for a loop for a minute - it's a mirror image of the original map in the book.

I love 7th Sea/Swashbuckling Adventures, and did some maps of the Glamour Isles in CC3 in this thread:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=596

alucard339
11-27-2007, 10:00 PM
Here is my 3D test version for my gaming world. It's done in photoshop CS2. I've had a hard time with the mountain range cause I want to keep them the way they are to fit the cities at the same place.

I'm not sure about my choice of color for each country.

Also, I got a little problem: I wih to take this image back into my cc2 world (see 1st post) to replace the old landmass. I can't import the bmp version of this file in cc2, because it's too big. The only way, is to downsize the file to 25% and drop the resolution down to 72 dpi. But this small version is blury at best.

Any advice???

Does cc3 do a better job about import?

Thanks in advance,
alucard339

Valarian
11-28-2007, 05:34 AM
CC2 or CC3 will only be able to import bitmap files as a background to your map. You should then trace over the features to get them in to CC2 as vector graphics rather than the bitmap image.

alucard339
11-28-2007, 07:45 AM
I've add a little correction to my post above.

pyrandon
11-28-2007, 04:50 PM
(Wish I could help on the tech issue, but just wanted to chime in and say things are progressing nicely here! Keep it up!)

alucard339
12-26-2007, 06:01 PM
I've just finish the new look of my world. hope U guys like it.
I've put back the name and cities, but I must find a way to put good looking forest and river now. Any one got advise?

RobA
12-26-2007, 06:35 PM
I'm guessing this is a much scaled down version, as the text here is unreadable.

Also - can you answer a question, what is the red line? I'm thinking an international date line (?!?) and if so is that consistent with the world technology (i.e. communication faster than travel leading to standardized times)

-Rob A>

Redrobes
12-26-2007, 09:14 PM
Hey this map looks really good. The colors are vibrant and it works well.

I think that the red line is the wrap point but what I cant figure is that it wraps to the left side with a vertical shift. I can see that continent very top right is almost on the top edge where it has some gap on the left side. Is there an explanation ? Are we looking at it on an angle from the equator perhaps ?

alucard339
12-27-2007, 12:32 AM
yup,
sorry about the red line, I forgot to mention that: it's the end of the world. From the red line to the end of the map, it's a copy of the beginning of my spherical world (It helped during the housing portion of the work).
I just forgot to erase that part before I post the pic.

here's the normal one.

And has for the warp thing about the maps end not at the same place as the beginning (if u fold it), it's because I move Tromek Island closer to the main Island to get a larger printed version.

Also if U wish to see the readable version of my map, look a the close-up map, cause the real one is 25+ mg big ...

I still need your input about the way to do all my forests : cc3 classical tree , a layer like bump surface or another technique?

Also I would like to create farm field (mostly on Tromek).

Thanks, alu.

alucard339
12-27-2007, 12:35 AM
By the way, the green stuff around Dunkarga desert is poisonous sea water.

NeonKnight
12-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Cool map! Love it very much.

By the way, anyone else notice his Screen Name is Dracula backwards? What is the significane of the 339?

Gamerprinter
12-27-2007, 04:25 PM
Cool map! Love it very much.

By the way, anyone else notice his Screen Name is Dracula backwards? What is the significane of the 339?

Some 1970's Dracula movie used "Alucard" as the count's secret name - I think Christopher Lee was the vampire, Count Alucard...

alucard339
12-27-2007, 04:41 PM
In my case, the pic is alucard, dracula bastard son from the castlevania series. And as for the 339, it's my military dogtag number.

I pic this name because my best RPG world for me (the DM) is Ravenloft...
My players are not really on the same opinion about this. >:)

Gamerprinter
12-27-2007, 04:59 PM
I pic this name because my best RPG world for me (the DM) is Ravenloft...
My players are not really on the same opinion about this. >:)

I love Ravenloft, buy yeah, my players will never go there again, if they can help it! :(

pyrandon
12-30-2007, 11:19 PM
Okay, so this is a great map. Well done!

I really like the color scheme: very stark and although saturated to the point of burning my eyes, it works! Invokes an interesting mood. I especially like the shores' wave patterns.

I'm not sure I'd go anything other than some sort of simple pattern/texture for the forests, as every other geographical entity on the map is that way (except for the oases).

alucard339
12-31-2007, 02:38 PM
Thanks guys,

The only thing I'm trying to add to the map is river and large forest landmark so that the emphasis is put on the town and the principals roads.

A more complex (detail) version of each country will then be done individually later.

For the last week, I'm testing, between meals, Roba way of doing forest. I want to find a good looking color pallet that will denote the forest easily without it being too out of place.

I post my first sketch for the forest, but I don't really like it.
What do u thing, just so I know if I'm too far out of track or not.

See U all soon,
alu.

pyrandon
12-31-2007, 07:09 PM
I think the texture of the forests works fine, but the outlines are too harsh--so they seem "blobs" "floating" above the landscape. In other words, the outlines are too distinct for the type of map you are attempting to create, IMO.

OneSeventeen
01-01-2008, 11:18 PM
I agree with Pyradon. The forests look taller than your mountains because the shadows are so deep. If I were you, I might just pick a specific shade of green to stand for forests, rather than a reliefed texture like that. I guess you'd have to see how it looked.

Torq
01-03-2008, 04:13 AM
I like the map Alucard. All the references to Drac and Ravenloft got me thinking about my old Ravenloft campaign. As far as my players go they still recall it often around the game table. We barely have an evening of gaming without someone coming up with a "hey, remember that time in Ravenloft when... It normally ends with everyone agreeing that mists are to be avoided at all costs no matter what the gaming system or the genre. I was thinking about it recently and it led me to three conclusions:

1. My current campaign is probably a bit boring.
2. The Ravenloft campaign setting was fantastic, and I'm not sure everyone appreciated at the time how good it was.
3. Man, I really scared those guys.

As for scaring, my personal favourite was something suggested in the one of the Ravenloft books. I got a female friend to could act to do a whole lot of really scaring whispering (things like "help me", "he's coming for us all" etc), which I recorded on the end of an otherwise blank cassette 45 min per side. Just before the players arrived I started the tape playing, with the volume on full on a small casette player and hid it under some cushions right next to the game table. You can imagine when things were gettig really tense in some haunted locale and things had gone quiet around the table, what the effect of that disembodied voice coming out of nowhere was like. Of course it scared me out of my whits too because I had become engrossed in the game and had forgotten all about it.

If you havn't tried it and your players need some scaring I really recommend it.

Torq

alucard339
01-03-2008, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the advice Torq.

I will surly use it soon: right now we are playing in Tir Na Nog (a Conan like country), the paizo pathfinder campaign and in 2 weeks, I should begin the book #2 (skinsaw murderer)

It will be fun to use ur trick.

As for the map, I'll get rid of shadow around the forest and try to find a better looking texture but only by mid January, because right now I'm working on my board game.

C U a-round,
Alu.

alucard339
02-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Here is an updated from my world map project.

I just finish the Tromek Island with it's rivers and forests.
Take a look and give me your feedback. Because I will start the rest of my world with the same style unless ou say that it need improvement.

Thanks,
Alu.

pyrandon
02-10-2008, 12:00 AM
I think this is great, alucard. The neon nature still distracts me--I keep wanting to tone it down a tad--but that is a stylistic choice we've already discussed. I think the features and the layout are nice, and I absolutely love the oceans' darkness--how the coastal waters and land emerge from it. I can't think of anything else without getting really really nitpicks and into my personal preference realms.

Great job!!