PDA

View Full Version : September/October Entry: Tears Of A Dragon

jtougas
09-21-2010, 09:49 PM
Although I have this as a *WIP* I think I'd better ask if this is allowable. The basic idea is that the river is a "tear", while the streets and buildings will become "scars" and other marks. If this isn't within the guidelines that's ok, this idea just came to me.

Oh, and this is the first time I have ever drawn anything on the computer. Now I think I need a tablet... I'll pretty the drawing up (I hope... :) ) If I get the ok..

Yeah I have a thing for dragons...:)

### Latest WIP ###

*Edit* you may be asking yourself "what made her cry?" The answer? Dwarves of course.....:)

Ascension
09-21-2010, 11:45 PM
Imaginative use of source material...that gets an A. But is it mappy? Maybe if your city-shape was the head of a dragon and the city blocks were the scales (streets are the "cracks" between scales) then I'd say go for it. Just using the image on top of a drawing...well, I dunno. Seems more artsy than mappy but I'll defer to the masses if they have nothing wrong with it.

jtougas
09-22-2010, 01:37 AM
Imaginative use of source material...that gets an A. But is it mappy? Maybe if your city-shape was the head of a dragon and the city blocks were the scales (streets are the "cracks" between scales) then I'd say go for it. Just using the image on top of a drawing...well, I dunno. Seems more artsy than mappy but I'll defer to the masses if they have nothing wrong with it.

After a little studying of this I think your right..I may go with the "Dragon head" city shape instead...:)

Jaxilon
09-22-2010, 02:02 AM
You could easily use the dragon head as if it was a constellation (ie, Orion the Hunter or The Bear). I guess it would need to look a bit more ethereal though.

edit: Didn't realize at first this was for the challenge. In the past they have always said it is up to the voters to decide if you have worked within the confines of the assigned material. So basically, you can do practically anything you want and the votes decide.

jtougas
09-22-2010, 02:43 AM
You could easily use the dragon head as if it was a constellation (ie, Orion the Hunter or The Bear). I guess it would need to look a bit more ethereal though.

edit: Didn't realize at first this was for the challenge. In the past they have always said it is up to the voters to decide if you have worked within the confines of the assigned material. So basically, you can do practically anything you want and the votes decide.

I suppose..but I'd rather stick a little closer to the overall guidelines..sometimes I can get WAAAYYY out there...:)

Aval Penworth
09-22-2010, 09:46 AM
sometimes I can get WAAAYYY out there...:)

That's why you get along with Jax so well :D.

How about a dragon head shaped island?

Jaxilon
09-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Hey, it pays to be out there sometimes :) Or at least I'm hopeful that it will.

jtougas
09-23-2010, 02:51 AM
Ok this one is way more "in the box" as they say. I figured that win or lose a few "close up" maps of the areas around Riverhewn would be a good idea so here we are. This is obviously very early but most of the terrain is done and the locations of the Sawmill and the docks are pretty final as well. Here is a quick story to explain this setting:

The Kingdom of Shendenflar is reknowned across the Flanaess for it's fine furniture and other lumber products. Most of the Kingdom's wood comes from the vast Burneal forest in the North of Shendenflar. This wood is transported down the Fler River untill it reaches the village of Northrun. A large sawmill complex is located here where the raw timber felled in the forest is turned into useable lumber.

I widened the river a touch to accomadate a dock for the flat bottom barges that transport the timber. Luckily I have plenty of time for this one..:)

### Latest WIP ###

Jaxilon
09-23-2010, 03:23 AM
hehe, conformist :-D

Brussels sprouts!

I like it though

jtougas
09-23-2010, 04:19 AM
hehe, conformist :-D

Brussels sprouts!

I like it though

Thanks..I say the same thing every time I use one of those trees... :)

tilt
09-23-2010, 06:11 AM
I think your going in the right direction with the latest entry - the challenge did say "Map a town" :) ... and its looking nice :)

Avengeil
09-23-2010, 11:53 AM
I agree with tilt about going on the right direction with this map (even though I wouldn't have a problem voting for you if you're dragon was nice:))

Aval Penworth
09-23-2010, 11:58 AM
You've got some frisky bussel sprouts there. They're all over eachother!:shock:

jtougas
09-23-2010, 01:41 PM
I think your going in the right direction with the latest entry - the challenge did say "Map a town" :) ... and its looking nice :)

Thanks!!, I think I was trying to be too clever with the "tears of a dragon" idea although I might still finish it just for me... :) oh and could someone please change the title of this thread to "September/October Entry: The Sawmill at Northrun"...Thanks!!

I agree with tilt about going on the right direction with this map (even though I wouldn't have a problem voting for you if you're dragon was nice:))

That was the thing that was scaring me the most...I came up with the idea and then spent an hour asking myself whether or not I could actually DO it... :)

You've got some frisky bussel sprouts there. They're all over eachother!:shock:

Where do you think "baby" brussel sprouts come from.... :)

Avengeil
09-23-2010, 02:18 PM
I think I was trying to be too clever with the "tears of a dragon" idea although I might still finish it just for me

I would say that it is a must for you too finish it after the challenge. Such an original idea and too go lost. No way:|

jtougas
09-23-2010, 04:00 PM
Here's a little update.

I discovered today that I am an idiot... :) I had the sawmill tucked way back in the woods..Hmm how are we gonna the turn the blade??..Right...Ok fixed that. I also "smudged" the roads some, I wanted them to look like they had been "tramped" in over years. This IS a sawmill after all ;)

### LATEST WIP ###

jtougas
09-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Ok an update:

I added the required buildings and cobbled together a sawmill.. Reworked the riverbanks and changed the water texture. As always feedback is requested and appreciated..Thanks!!

### LATEST WIP ###

Ascension
09-23-2010, 09:52 PM
Right now your trees have a hand-drawn look (the black stroke around them) and this doesn't mesh with the realistic patterns of the houses. This may change down the road but I thought that I'd just make you aware of it so that you can plan how to tackle it.

jtougas
09-23-2010, 09:58 PM
Right now your trees have a hand-drawn look (the black stroke around them) and this doesn't mesh with the realistic patterns of the houses. This may change down the road but I thought that I'd just make you aware of it so that you can plan how to tackle it.

Good point. I had actually planned to use the "brussel sprouts" as a sort of "scale place marker" so I could decide what looked good with what and I kind of forgot about them..:) Thanks for reminding me...

jtougas
09-24-2010, 12:21 AM
Tonights update:

Cut down all the "Brussels sprouts" replaced with more photo-realistic trees. Still not 100% on them but they can stay for now.. I resized some of the sawmill items. Water wheels are BIG as are raw trunks sent downriver on barges. I added a "location key" now I'm not usually a fan of these things stuck onto a map but I figure at some point I'll need to know the names of these things and now so do you.. :) It's to a point now where I can just look at it for a while until the next idea hits me. (Although I would like to do a barge..
As always feedback is requested and appreciated..Thanks!! :)

### LATEST WIP ###

mearrin69
09-24-2010, 01:18 AM
Looking better all of the time.
M

jtougas
09-24-2010, 01:37 AM
Looking better all of the time.
M

Hmm..THAT makes me nervous a one sentence reply..But thanks.. :)

jtougas
09-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Todays update:

I have to say I'm really liking this map. :) It's not "pretty" but it's functional and I'm enjoying sprinkling little details here and there.

### LATEST WIP ###

Jaxilon
09-24-2010, 08:55 PM
Hey! You got Hosses!!

jtougas
09-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Hey! You got Hosses!!

Yep that's Duke and Lady patiently waiting for one of the serving girls to bring them apples... :)

jtougas
09-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Some more little details:

1.More people
2.Some "weathering" on the roofs of the buildings
3. A boat *as Forest Gump* "...that's my boat..."

I think it's just about there now. I don't have a hope in **** of winning this challenge but that's ok this was a neat little project. :)

### LATEST WIP ###

Ascension
09-25-2010, 01:14 AM
Every time that you make a map you learn something. Whether it be what to do or what not to do or what you can do faster or different. So that's a good thing. Don't worry about winning...took me a year and a half to get a win. :) So on to the map. The forest looks better with the extra colored trees but the shapes are very regular. No big, learn how to make more trees next times. ;) I think your houses could use a bigger shadow to help them stand out a bit more. The forest could use some shadows, too.

jtougas
09-25-2010, 01:27 AM
Every time that you make a map you learn something. Whether it be what to do or what not to do or what you can do faster or different. So that's a good thing. Don't worry about winning...took me a year and a half to get a win. :) So on to the map. The forest looks better with the extra colored trees but the shapes are very regular. No big, learn how to make more trees next times. ;) I think your houses could use a bigger shadow to help them stand out a bit more. The forest could use some shadows, too.

You are absolutely right..(as usual) I had fun making this map and had to learn some stuff in the process. I might have sounded like I was disappointed that I think I won't win. I'm not..I can use this map in the new "Kingdom Of Shendenflar" website that I'm working on. I have to get all of this stuff up somewhere..god forbid if my house catches fire....*Gasp* thats a LOT of years of my life.... Oh and I'm going to take your advice about the shadows..:)

jtougas
09-25-2010, 04:50 AM
Shadows per Ascension's suggestion. Looks better I think.

### LATEST WIP ###

rdanhenry
09-27-2010, 02:50 AM
Place seems a bit small to support two taverns and an inn, but milling saw is thirsty work.

tilt
09-27-2010, 03:27 AM
Place seems a bit small to support two taverns and an inn, but milling saw is thirsty work.

maybe a sawmill is the closest thing to a tourist attraction in the country ;)

but, throw in a couple of trading posts and such - and there will be good use for taverns and inns :)

jtougas
09-27-2010, 03:33 AM

Well the Nymph isn't really a tavern as such....more of a front for something... As far as the inn goes the bargemen usually stay there waiting for the return trip back up river as well as other folk travelling north... :)

maybe a sawmill is the closest thing to a tourist attraction in the country ;)

but, throw in a couple of trading posts and such - and there will be good use for taverns and inns :)

Hey now Sawmilling is quite a spectacle in a simple place like Shendenflar... ;)

RjBeals
09-27-2010, 11:55 AM
This is looking good jt. Love the bridge!

jtougas
09-27-2010, 12:21 PM
This is looking good jt. Love the bridge!

Thank You! :) *update coming*

jtougas
09-28-2010, 09:21 PM
Wow it feels like I have't touched this map in weeks..(of course it's only been a couple of days) With the "Goblin" taking up most of my time lately. Plus to be honest I wasn't sure what else I could do this map. Overall I like it it was fun to do a "close up" map where you could actually see people.

So here it is I added some farmland North of the town as it is pretty prominent on both the regional and Riverhewn maps. I also added a couple of buildings that I thought would "fit" the town. A potter a constable (gotta have law and order.. :) ) and a cooper who also packs things (mostly in barrels) that are destined to go North on the bargmen's return trip.

I think I'm done with this now. I appreciate everyone's comments and feedback and as always feedback is requested and appreciated..Thanks!!

### LATEST WIP ###

mearrin69
09-28-2010, 11:43 PM
Looks pretty great. I particularly like the bridge. Looks as if a couple of your buildings are missing shadows?
M

jtougas
09-29-2010, 12:08 AM
Looks pretty great. I particularly like the bridge. Looks as if a couple of your buildings are missing shadows?
M

Thanks and now that I look at it I think your right..Shadows and Scale...hmm that kind of sounds like a Dragon's Tale.. :)

Steel General
09-29-2010, 09:23 AM
This is turning out quite nicely.

I would suggest getting rid of the drop shadow on the numbers, makes them harder to read. Maybe try a 1 pixel light-colored stroke on them. :)

jtougas
10-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Following SG's and M's advice Here is the latest version of Northrun. I changed the numbers and fiddled with the shadowing. Improvements both I think. As always feedback is requested and appreciated :)

### LATEST WIP ###

jtougas
10-02-2010, 02:44 AM
one more..I added a stroke around the numbers they were a little too bright for me. I think it's done now but as always feedback is requested and appreciated.. :)

### LATEST WIP ###

Aval Penworth
10-02-2010, 02:46 AM
Jt. Can you repost the image?...link not working.

jtougas
10-02-2010, 02:52 AM
Jt. Can you repost the image?...link not working.

sorry I realized that I had posted a odd version of it.. right one is up now.. :)

Katto
10-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Nice map so far. IMO the legend items are too crowded, leave space between them. Also scale down the numbers, they're quite large.

jtougas
10-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Nice map so far. IMO the legend items are too crowded, leave space between them. Also scale down the numbers, they're quite large.

Thanks and you're right. Another case of looking too long at this without seeing what is actually going on. :) Here's the latest version with the key and the location numbers fixed. I also darkened the roads as the original version was supposed to look like mud. As always feedback is requested and appreciated..Thanks!!

### LATEST WIP ###