PDA

View Full Version : Sanly Bowitz and environs...

mearrin69
09-22-2010, 04:26 AM
Well, it's not as if I don't have enough on my plate but I had some time to play tonight and the lite challenge was just too cool to pass on even though I can't enter it. So. I decided to give it a go and try out some new techniques. Haven't touched the buildings yet but I think the landscape is fairly well developed. As I worked with it I started getting a deserty vibe so I went with that (despite the river) and then the odd building shapes sort of put me in the mind of post-apocalyptic. Combine desert and P-A and you get one of my favorite books, A Canticle for Leibowitz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Canticle_for_Leibowitz). So, there you have it...and here's the village of Sanly Bowitz and its vicinity, possibly sometime around the events of year 3,174.

Don't know when I'll get a chance to work on it again but got this far and figured I'd post.
M

Sapiento
09-22-2010, 04:55 AM
Great idea! I love the book. Can't wait to see the next update.

Marken4
09-22-2010, 06:18 AM
Shouldn't this be in the Lite Challenge forum? :)

torstan
09-22-2010, 06:31 AM
Mearrin can't enter the lite challenge - we don't like to talk about it...

(anyone who's won the main challenge, or had a featured map, or won three lite challenges can't enter the lite any more)

Marken4
09-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Oh.. Ok ^^ Long way to go before I can't enter then :P

Ascension
09-22-2010, 04:52 PM
I feel it, I dig it.

mearrin69
09-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Thanks. Grabbing and rotating and placing buildings is taking me forever but I'll hopefully have an update tonight...assuming I can sit at my desktop for more than an hour at some point today.
M

jtougas
09-22-2010, 06:41 PM
Well, it's not as if I don't have enough on my plate but I had some time to play tonight and the lite challenge was just too cool to pass on even though I can't enter it. So. I decided to give it a go and try out some new techniques. Haven't touched the buildings yet but I think the landscape is fairly well developed. As I worked with it I started getting a deserty vibe so I went with that (despite the river) and then the odd building shapes sort of put me in the mind of post-apocalyptic. Combine desert and P-A and you get one of my favorite books, A Canticle for Leibowitz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Canticle_for_Leibowitz). So, there you have it...and here's the village of Sanly Bowitz and its vicinity, possibly sometime around the events of year 3,174.

Don't know when I'll get a chance to work on it again but got this far and figured I'd post.
M

Oh too cool!! A Canticle For Liebowitz is one of my all time favorite books...I actually went on a retreat to an Abbey near my house because of that book..:)

*Edit* maybe I should do the "companion map " of the town (well city) that sprang up towards the end of the book..:)

mearrin69
09-22-2010, 08:04 PM
At some point I'd like to do an area map showing the abbey, Sanly Bowitz, and Brother Francisco's pilgrimage area. There's actually a map of the continent on that Wikipedia link above. Not quite what I pictured but it works. I guess it's pre-Hannegan.
M

jtougas
09-22-2010, 09:10 PM
I was just thinking that the "abandoned bunker" map from the last lite challenge would have been perfect to map Franscisco's novate..the last one when he finds the bunker and they bring him back delirious and hallucinating (again)...:) "bagels milk pound kraut..E"

mearrin69
09-22-2010, 11:31 PM
Little more. Still have buildings to add and the ones that are there just have some layer styles thrown on so they're not just plain shapes. Much more work to do on that front. I'll be doing mainly stone buildings...much like the ones in Argria. Will likely brown up the vegetation at the end...but, for now, it's a pattern overlay and I don't want to flatten it.
M

jtougas
09-22-2010, 11:46 PM
Looking good..now it just needs some donkeys...:)

mearrin69
09-23-2010, 02:29 AM
Well, no donkeys but all of the buildings are in. I've added two styles, both flat-roofed deserty construction. One uses local sandstone and the other reclaimed building materials from before the Flame Deluge. I'll be doing a few "special" roofs as well, but I'm not sure which buildings will get them. Maybe there are a couple of wooden or thatch-roofed buildings. I also haven't decided if the cathedral looking think in the north really is a cathedral. I'm almost positive that there wouldn't have been one around the time of "Fiat Lux" and I can't imagine one getting built there within several hundred years of Hannegan's takeover...although maybe it's a "false church" erected after New Rome was sacked. Maybe it doesn't matter at all and I'll just make it one because it'd look cool. Who can say... :)
M

Jaxilon
09-23-2010, 02:57 AM
I like the tracks in the roadways, those are a great touch. Hehe, and donkeys are my business :)

jtougas
09-23-2010, 03:13 AM
Well, no donkeys but all of the buildings are in. I've added two styles, both flat-roofed deserty construction. One uses local sandstone and the other reclaimed building materials from before the Flame Deluge. I'll be doing a few "special" roofs as well, but I'm not sure which buildings will get them. Maybe there are a couple of wooden or thatch-roofed buildings. I also haven't decided if the cathedral looking think in the north really is a cathedral. I'm almost positive that there wouldn't have been one around the time of "Fiat Lux" and I can't imagine one getting built there within several hundred years of Hannegan's takeover...although maybe it's a "false church" erected after New Rome was sacked. Maybe it doesn't matter at all and I'll just make it one because it'd look cool. Who can say... :)M

Well it's awesome..far too much for a lowly novitiate like me to look upon...many pardons... :) (oh and I think your right about the cathedral)

Katto
09-23-2010, 02:30 PM
The coloring is really lovely M. Looking forward to the next update with the "special roofs".

mearrin69
09-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Thanks guys. Jaxilon, if you've got a donkey, I'll use it! If I can get any time (doubtful: sickish, new puppy, in-laws visiting, crazy work, yadda) I want to put some hours into adding little details: a couple of markets, some stone walls, gardens, awnings, maybe hint at some ruins, etc. I think that's the kind of stuff that makes a map like this. I always love when I can come back to a map (or painting or story or...) and see something I hadn't noticed before. Makes me appreciate the effort that went into it all the more.
M

mearrin69
09-23-2010, 03:54 PM
BTW, now that I think about it: I believe Brother Francisco's Lenten pilgrimage spot in the ruins actually became the village of Sanly Bowitz later on...built on the ruins because of easy availability of building materials. Obviously, there was no river in Francisco's time. Maybe I say this is a few hundred years after Fiat Lux and that the new village is prospering under the rule of Texarcana, the rulers of which have redirected some water their way (explaining the anomalous river). The church-like thing is actually built over the site of Fallout Shelter and contains some relic of the Blessed Liebowitz (maybe they found a fingernail clipping after all). Administration would be by the actual church, which has regained its standing after the schizm fomented by Hannegan back in the late 32nd century. Just babbling now to justify the map...but maybe it works.
M

mearrin69
09-25-2010, 01:29 AM
Added some other roof styles, worked on shadows, added some tents and other details. Needs some awnings, walls, maybe a boat and dock.
M

tilt
09-25-2010, 02:16 AM
Mearrin can't enter the lite challenge - we don't like to talk about it...

*LOL*

looks good mearrin, I can almost taste the dust :)

mearrin69
09-25-2010, 02:50 AM
Thanks. I added a bit more and posted the final in the Finished Maps forum (link (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?12038-Sanly-Bowitz-and-environs...&p=129560#post129560)). Thanks to all who commented. Much appreciated. This was a fun little map to make. Now, off to read the book again before bed ;)
M