PDA

View Full Version : Ruins of Xinoctlan

Sapiento
09-22-2010, 04:58 AM
Quick drawn idea for a Mesoamerican-style ruined city.

Fransie
09-22-2010, 05:17 AM
Nice sketch. The high tower doesn't really fit the building style thoug.

Marken4
09-22-2010, 06:16 AM
Not so sure about the tall tower either, and the trees should have some more variation to it, but.. Other than that it's much better than anything I have/will do(ne).

Steel General
09-22-2010, 07:41 AM
Have to agree with Fransie & Marken4, that one tower doesn't mesh with the rest. But other than that, it looks pretty cool.

Sapiento
09-22-2010, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the comments.
The tower has a different style, true. Think of this as an abandoned city that had been inhabited for hundreds of years. The rise of several architectural styles shouldn't be a surprise over such a timespan. Just think of London, Paris or Vienna, where you have Renaissance and Baroque buildings immediately beside glass-and-steel towers.

mearrin69
09-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Hey! Looks pretty cool. Is this for a particular project or are you just playing around?
M

jzm
09-22-2010, 11:12 AM
Great workˇˇˇˇ
The tower seems a little too tall, but there are towers in mayan ruins, in Palenque

Sapiento
09-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Hey! Looks pretty cool. Is this for a particular project or are you just playing around?
M

Just playing around and having fun. :D

Great workˇˇˇˇ
The tower seems a little too tall, but there are towers in mayan ruins, in Palenque

Thank you. Maybe I place some others.

Midgardsormr
09-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Good idea. I think if it weren't all alone, there would be less of a tendency to think of it as inappropriate. It does seem rather gargantuan in comparison to the pyramids, though. And I might be mistaken, but weren't most Mesoamerican pyramids flat on top? I didn't think they came to a point, as there were typically religious rituals conducted in a little building on the peak.

Very nice sketch! Do some more!

Sapiento
09-23-2010, 02:10 AM
Good idea. I think if it weren't all alone, there would be less of a tendency to think of it as inappropriate. It does seem rather gargantuan in comparison to the pyramids, though. And I might be mistaken, but weren't most Mesoamerican pyramids flat on top? I didn't think they came to a point, as there were typically religious rituals conducted in a little building on the peak.

Very nice sketch! Do some more!

Thank you.
You are right, the Mesoamerican were flat at the top as far as I know. This is not a strict copy of these cultures, more an homage.
I've already made another sketch for a two-cultures-clash map, but I will finish this first before I come up with it.

EDIT: more towers added

NeonKnight
09-23-2010, 05:17 AM
Looking better!

Sapiento
10-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Basic colors added.

Sapiento
10-01-2010, 02:25 PM
...and some refinement.

mearrin69
10-01-2010, 05:12 PM
That's looking pretty cool. The trees aren't coming off as very "jungly" though, if they're supposed to. The straight stem-round top thing makes them look a little out of scale for some reason. Maybe at least the foreground trees should have branches and rougher foliage? Just a thought. Are you thinking that the ruins in the foreground are kept clear by someone...worshipers or something?
M

rdanhenry
10-01-2010, 05:20 PM
What? You can't have an apple-tree jungle?

Aval Penworth
10-02-2010, 03:45 AM
I think it is meant to be more illustative than representative though, don't you?

Sapiento
10-02-2010, 04:08 AM
That's looking pretty cool. The trees aren't coming off as very "jungly" though, if they're supposed to. The straight stem-round top thing makes them look a little out of scale for some reason. Maybe at least the foreground trees should have branches and rougher foliage? Just a thought. Are you thinking that the ruins in the foreground are kept clear by someone...worshipers or something?
M

I'll do some changes on the trees then. I had the idea of a recently rediscovered town, halfway cleared of plants.

What? You can't have an apple-tree jungle?

At this stage it's too much work to change the trees. So let's assume the mighty Moxotec Empire founded some far away colonies in moderate climate zones, which vanished when the Empire collapsed.

Sapiento
10-03-2010, 09:55 AM
Put another map into this project...

mearrin69
10-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Nice. I can just taste the lamentation of the exploited natives as they harvest rubber for their colonial masters and die slowly from the ravages of alien diseases!
M

Sapiento
10-15-2010, 03:40 AM
I turned the map into a page of a magazine.

Djekspek
10-15-2010, 05:25 AM
Great work Sapientio!

Steel General
10-15-2010, 06:02 AM
Nicely done...

Sapiento
10-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Thank you! Maybe I'll add some old-paper texture.