PDA

View Full Version : September/October Entry: Valley of the Fey Prince.

Aval Penworth
09-23-2010, 05:08 AM
For this challange I shall attempt The Secret Valley of the Fey Prince.

This will be an illustrative, colour pen and ink style map to a fairy tale that never was.

"In a time and a place only reached by imagination,in the heart of an ancient wood, there was a secret valley. Hidden by giant boulders ..."

Doesn't look like much yet, but it will get there. I'm stuck because I can't figure out how to rotate brushes in Photoshop 6.
I'm off to find some giant boulders.

### LATEST WIP ###

Aval Penworth
09-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Made a little prgress. I have abandoned the buildings for now to concentrate on the landscape.

### LATEST WIP ###

mearrin69
09-23-2010, 10:22 AM
Looks cool.
M

Avengeil
09-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Interesting idea.

Aval Penworth
09-23-2010, 11:08 AM
I'm trying to lighten the mood a little. Got rid of the clawed rocks and added some spring colours. He is a "Fey" Prince after all.

### LATEST WIP ###

jtougas
09-23-2010, 12:32 PM
For this challange I shall attempt The Secret Valley of the Fey Prince.

This will be an illustrative, colour pen and ink style map to a fairy tale that never was.

"In a time and a place only reached by imagination,in the heart of an ancient wood, there was a secret valley. Hidden by giant boulders ..."

Doesn't look like much yet, but it will get there. I'm stuck because I can't figure out how to rotate brushes in Photoshop 6.
I'm off to find some giant boulders.

Very Nice nice use of story to draw people in..looking forward to this one... :)

Aval Penworth
09-23-2010, 10:25 PM
Looks like I am going to need to make symbols out of the shapes provided, rather than brushes. Here are a few with the pen and ink treatment. I think I will just make a few of the more distinctive shapes and have all the rest rectangles and L-shaped...if that is keeping to the spirit of the challenge.

Aval Penworth
09-24-2010, 05:48 AM
The overall concept is coming together. There are a few bugs in this but I thought I'd post an update so I could show the direction I am heading.

So this is meant to look like a detailed pen and ink style illustration. (with a twist:twisted:)

Steel General
09-24-2010, 06:00 AM
Coming along, but I think the drop-shadows on the buildings may be a bit heavy - they appear to be suffering from float-itis. :)

Aval Penworth
09-24-2010, 06:28 AM
Coming along, but I think the drop-shadows on the buildings may be a bit heavy - they appear to be suffering from float-itis. :)

Yeah that's one of the bugs I am going to iron out. I am working on a way to get a crosshatch in the shadows. They are directional shadows not drop shadows, so they shouldn't have a float effect.

Katto
09-24-2010, 06:33 AM
Looks good so far. The houses on the rocks look strange at the moment, but it is an early WIP I know.

Aval Penworth
09-24-2010, 09:25 AM
Looks good so far. The houses on the rocks look strange at the moment, but it is an early WIP I know.

Thanks for the encouragment. But may I ask what is strange about the houses on the rock?

If anyone else has comments please chime in.

I will not have much time to work on this, so please feel free to comment and critique.

Katto
09-24-2010, 12:19 PM
Perhaps I just have a scaling problem, but e.g. the upper left two houses and the special building on the stone look like there are not in the right place (difficult to explain)

Aval Penworth
09-24-2010, 09:29 PM
Adjusted the shadows, ink effects and saturation. I have left the buildings on the rocks for now, as I like them. I plan to put another boulder in the corner (see previous WIP) with a palace on top, overlooking the valley.

### LATEST WIP ###

jtougas
09-24-2010, 10:05 PM
Very nice it kind of makes me think of "imagination" like something my daughter would do in the back yard with her little people. (someday I'll do a map my daughter likes... :)

Marken4
09-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Looks good. I would probably turn down the opacity on the road a bit

tilt
09-25-2010, 01:10 PM
nice map... it looks like you've forgot a shadow on the building on the right side of the river. In my opion the cross hatching is a little strong, but thats just personal taste :)

Aval Penworth
09-27-2010, 03:13 AM
@ Tilt, is it possible that map is displaying too big on the screen? Crosshatching is one of those effects that work best when seen from a certain distance. If you look to close, it doesn't look so good..

@ Marken, do you mean that the road is too bright? or something else?

tilt
09-27-2010, 04:31 AM
it looks fine when the map "fits in browser" but when I "zoom" to 100% then its a bit strong... but I'm guessing 100% should be what I should be commeting on, or you'd make the map smaller ;)

Aval Penworth
09-27-2010, 04:56 AM
it looks fine when the map "fits in browser" but when I "zoom" to 100% then its a bit strong... but I'm guessing 100% should be what I should be commeting on, or you'd make the map smaller ;)

Yeah, that's what I mean when I say it is "too big". Next time I will post it at a smaller size. Good feedback. Cheers blue ears.

Aval Penworth
09-27-2010, 08:28 AM
Latest update, nothing major.

I am considering the following, thoughts welcome...

1) Little gardens for the houses.
2) A key/ legend on a scroll in the bottom right of the map.
3) Some decorative flourishes on the title page.
4) Trying to make it look more like an open book on a bedside table.
5) Writing a faux introduction under the title (although most books would have the intro on a subsequent page).

### LATEST WIP ###

Katto
09-27-2010, 08:45 AM
That looks really good! The lower left stone rocks, giving the map a certain depth. Adding the palace there would create a bridge to the viewer or reader in this case. I don't know if a legend in the map will fit. Perhaps it will be too much and draw the attention away from the city. A few gardens next to some houses is a good idea, perhaps just adding some flowers is enough?

mearrin69
09-27-2010, 12:03 PM
Cool idea. I think stuff like this makes an ordinary map extraordinary! The rock does indeed rock.
M

Aval Penworth
09-27-2010, 11:41 PM
So I made a little palace compound and popped it on the rock. I am toying with the idea of it being part drawn and part real.

Katto
09-28-2010, 08:46 AM
I like the F-version. The shadows are darker and the palace does not have such a strong yellowish glow than the E-palace. Those flowers are nice and fit very well :)

Aval Penworth
09-28-2010, 09:28 AM
Had a go at making it look like pages of a book. Comments and nit-picking welcome.

Edit: Oooh, this is my 500th post. Cool.

### Latest WIP ###

jtougas
09-28-2010, 10:15 AM
Had a go at making it look like pages of a book. Comments and nit-picking welcome.

Edit: Oooh, this is my 500th post. Cool.

### Latest WIP ###

Looking good This another one of those maps that my little one likes.. :) My only idea is that maybe the "pages" are a bit bright? other than that it's great!! :)

*Edit* congrats on the 500 :)

Steel General
09-28-2010, 01:22 PM
I think this turned out quite nicely.

But for what it's worth I think the 'grass' is to lite (almost yellow), I think a richer, deeper green would be more appropriate.

Aval Penworth
09-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Mmm, richer grass greens and duller paper. That would probably work. Good suggestions. I'll keep that in mind for the next update.

Djekspek
09-29-2010, 03:34 PM
Heya AP, a very pretty map you got here. I'm no expert on compositions and stuff, but, since you asked so nicely ;) , here's some of my thoughts ... This is what I myself usually do when making maps: I try to "record" my eye movement on my map to see if i see what i want the map to show (usually close my eyes, clear my vision and then open them. I repeat that multiple times and check what my eyes record... )

So this is what my odd eyeballs recorded on yours:
1- the white border draws my attention immediately and then the left-bottom part now pulls my eyes to the castle.
2- I notice the high detailled texture on the rocks
3- the dark shade top-left with the light house now pulls my eye
4- going to the river I see the other detailed mountain texture and then my eyes follow the river down and pull me down/right off the map

So although the map itself is very pretty, the composition seems to be created to see all but the actual map. So... some techniques you could use to change this:
1. make the paper a little darker
2. remove the hard edge +shade of rock of the castle (it can be a great focus point, but could be a little more subtle)
3. use an overlay layer and paint with a big high-feathered brush Black and White on this to make the village center pop-out more and the less important things darker (maybe put some white on the castle to give it attention). This will force people to look at the things you want them to look at)

I created a quick picture of what would be the result of these steps to check if it would work. But I don't want to pollute your thread so I wont post it here. Of course I can send it if you like. Anyway, just my thoughts... hope it helps you (and maybe others as well ;) cheers!

Aval Penworth
09-29-2010, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the advice DJ, which follows on from the previous comments. What you have made me realise though is that I really need a point of interest about two thirds of the way up the image. Ideally it would also be two thirds of the way to the right as well to balance the castle & rock, bottom left. But the river is there. So I will have to come in a bit.

I think that I need to put a big important building, with a light coloured roof in the center of town. Remove that gray boulder which I now realise is too heavy. I also need to remove those big U-shaped buildings and replace them with smaller inobtrusive houses.

Darkening the grass and pages will also help the town to pop. Cool. Thanks again DJ, Jt & SG

PS. @ DJ I think I will wait until after the challenge finishes, before asking you to send me your version

Aval Penworth
10-01-2010, 02:13 AM
Here is the latest update. I have made the changes I had planned.

Thinking also about what Djekspek said about the eye being drawn to the bright house on the dark rock. I moved the house so it blends with the rock and doesn't divert the eye. That might have been what Katto saw as wierd in my earlier WIP.

The darker landscape now contrasts with the buildings, so I am please with that. I think I have lost some of the Faerie "lightness" I was trying to achieve, but hopefully the piece looks better anyhow.

Edit: After looking back at this post I am considering removing that cross shaped building on the right of the river. I don't think it adds anything.
Any other commentary of feedback is welcome.

### Latest WIP ###

rdanhenry
10-01-2010, 12:39 PM
I think I preferred the lighter grass you were using earlier, but this is very nice.

jtougas
10-01-2010, 03:59 PM
It's really looking great now. Maybe it's me but the river looks like it's "domed" above the banks. maybe a strip of fuzzy darker color down the middle? Oh and Ava says I have to vote for this one.. :)

tilt
10-07-2010, 04:50 AM
looks really good Aval, very nice entry... the river needs a little more depth perhaps?

in referring to jtougas note about "Ava says I have to vote for this one", my teacher said yesterday ... 9 out of 10 decision to buy stuff is dedided by the wife, the rest by the kids *lol*

Marken4
10-07-2010, 06:03 AM
Looks great :D I'm starting to doubt on my Ruinville-map x)

Aval Penworth
10-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I will take a look at this map again after the weekend, and see if I can make a little better.

ravells
10-11-2010, 11:47 AM
I love it. This is one my competition faves so far.

Aval Penworth
10-11-2010, 07:51 PM
This could be the final version. I made some tweaks based on the feedback. Thanks to every one who has commented.

I am going to use this in my role-playing game. The players will find the book, and as I know one of the characters is obsessed with faerie tales and legends, she will want to read it to the party.

In my campaign Aval Penworth is a character from a famous series of books. At least two of the players are well aware of this and will hopefully be intrigued by a book written by a character from a book! That night they will all dream that they have been transported to the valley. They will wake the next day and continue their normal adventures. The next night a magical sleep will transport them to the valley where the people will ask them to embark on a quest.

This way I get to run two diverse campaigns for a little while. And while in the faerie tale the party won't have their magical weapons and wonderous machines. I get to take the party back to basics, but also run high powered the next week. I would not have thought of it, but for this challenge. Huzzah.

### Latest WIP ###

jtougas
10-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Awesome !! Great map and great gaming idea I love that kind of "side" adventure :)