PDA

View Full Version : Untitled World - Mapping project

Majortopio
09-23-2010, 02:32 PM
I was inspired by an atlas-style map that I saw somewhere here on the forums and decided to make a world in the same style, so here it is... So far I have the continents down and am working on the plate tectonics of the world and the ocean currents.. Not really sure how I'm doing, but I'm trying to make it as accurate and correct as possible.. Please tell me if there are any huge mistakes so I can fix them, I'm making my way off of posts scattered around this forum and wikipedia articles, so all the geography stuff might be very amateurish. Just be prepared.

The map is quite large (10,000x7,000 or thereabouts) so I will be posting scaled down versions for now.

Stay posted for more updates coming soon!

EDIT: Here's the uppermost left continent with countours nearly finished, I'm pretty happy with the result so far.

Majortopio
09-23-2010, 03:24 PM
UPDATE: Fixed up some coastlines that were straight from the clouds -> threshold process.

Majortopio
09-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Sorry for the triple post, but I took the time to make a MUCH better (in my opinion) and MUCH more detailed currents map, here it is. Once again, please inform me if I've gotten it completely wrong or you see any vital mistakes.. Or if you just can't understand it. Looking over it, I realize that might be difficult for anyone other than me.. :P

Aenigma
09-23-2010, 05:59 PM
Very nice work so far! One thing though; On this scale, one usually don't see "hacked" or "wavy" coastlines. Pick up an IRL world-map and look at Africa for example. Very smooth coastlines.

Anyways, I'm eagerly awaiting more of this :D

Majortopio
09-24-2010, 06:04 AM
Thanks! - And you're right on that one, I guess I shouldn't be so uptight about coastlines at this scale, it just looks damn ugly in my opinion if they're too straight :D

Here's an updated view of plate tectonics, with movements included. Now this one I'm not so sure about, it's all very confusing because a movement one way can cause a different reaction that wanted if executed wrongly.. I guess this is a VERY rough sketch of how it is, no need to go too deeply into details if just some magic is involved. Rough sketches of mountainous areas are also included. C&C is VERY welcome!

Soixante
09-24-2010, 06:20 AM
I'll have to agree with Aenigma. It's a common misconception that coastlines always have to be jagged. There are many, many places in our own world that has long stretches of very smooth coastline. Africa, India, etc etc. The best thing to do is to have some parts that are smooth and others that are more jagged and rough.

One other thing about your coastlines, is that in a couple of places they seem to suffer from a Photoshop clouds issue, which is that the clouds command in PS (and perhaps in some other apps as well) tends to create diagonally oriented landmasses. Now this isn't really a problem except for those of us who notice such things. :) This is mainly apparent in the south-eastern part of the north-western continent, and in the eastern-most part of the south-central continent. If you wanted you could just change those parts into something more random-looking.

Other than that, what you have so far looks great. And you're obviously putting a lot of detail into the map, considering ocean currents and such. Looking forward to seeing more!

Majortopio
09-24-2010, 07:14 AM
Okay, I'll take another look at the coastlines and variate it a little bit then, I have some places in mind that could have a straight coastline.

And thanks! Glad to hear you like it so far :)

Here's another update to the plate tectonics, fixed it up a little bit and it's better in my opinion. I don't know if it's right AT ALL, so any help on that topic would be awesome.

bartmoss
09-24-2010, 07:56 PM
Ohh this looks cool. And was the inspiration perchance my collapsed world? ;-)

Majortopio
09-25-2010, 08:27 AM
Ohh this looks cool. And was the inspiration perchance my collapsed world? ;-)

Actually, partly yes! I remember seeing it and thinking "Damn, that looks cool!" Your other map, "Yet another unnamed world", however, was what made me actually start on this though.. So I guess all inspiration credit goes to you :D

Majortopio
09-25-2010, 09:35 AM
Topmost western continent almost done! Started adding labels and such, I'm very happy with the result so far :) Next landmass to be worked on is the one directly under it.

(The straight line in the bottom of the image is the equator.)

bartmoss
09-25-2010, 10:28 AM
Haha well glad I got you started. What are you doing this with? I use Inkscape and it really bogs down with complicated drawings.

Majortopio
09-25-2010, 01:11 PM
I'm using Photoshop (CS4 I believe) and it's really a good, easy process! I use the lasso tool to make the contours and with the anti alias feature it's quite a smooth process :)

bartmoss
09-26-2010, 02:29 AM
Yeah, okay. I always wanted to get PS and Illustrator, but can't afford 'em. So I am stuck with opensource tools and quite honestly Gimp is way too unfriendly to use for me.

Hai-Etlik
09-26-2010, 04:12 AM
Haha well glad I got you started. What are you doing this with? I use Inkscape and it really bogs down with complicated drawings.

It's drifting a bit off topic but if it's being slowed down by Filter Effects, there are two things you could try.

If you have a Multicore and/or SMT (Hyperthreading, etc) processor:
File -> Inkscape Preferences -> Filters and increase the number of threads. You don't want to exceed the number of threads your processor can actually handle.

Cycle filter effects on and off. Ctrl-5 cycles between effects on, effects off, and wireframe.

There are apparently plans to change the rendering code to use graphics hardware. That should improve overall performance in future versions.

RobA
09-26-2010, 01:16 PM
Yeah, okay. I always wanted to get PS and Illustrator, but can't afford 'em. So I am stuck with opensource tools and quite honestly Gimp is way too unfriendly to use for me.

Funny. I'm so used to Gimp I tried PS and found it insanely unfriendly ;)

-Rob A>

Majortopio
09-27-2010, 05:33 AM
Another update! Drew up some climate suggestions for the two western-most continents (includes key). Working on contours for the lower continent in the picture!

Majortopio
09-27-2010, 08:59 AM
Here's a map of land temperatures and ocean currents, fits pretty well with what I wanted. It goes from red (very high) -> orange (high) -> green (mid) -> light blue (low).

Mordizer
09-27-2010, 09:31 AM
I'm impressed by the amount of thought you've gone into aside from the drawing, the way you've worked out what makes your world "tick" has made me re-evaluate some of the worlds I'm currently playing around with. I had planned to add sea-trade routes to my worlds in the later stages but seeing how you've worked out currents on your map makes me think that I'd be daft to try and work out trade routes without considering the same thing.

Majortopio
09-27-2010, 04:59 PM
I'm impressed by the amount of thought you've gone into aside from the drawing, the way you've worked out what makes your world "tick" has made me re-evaluate some of the worlds I'm currently playing around with. I had planned to add sea-trade routes to my worlds in the later stages but seeing how you've worked out currents on your map makes me think that I'd be daft to try and work out trade routes without considering the same thing.

I know how you feel, I used to just make maps without worrying about all the details until I came to this site, and suddenly I realized that a map without just a little bit of thought behind can't hold it's ground well enough to be worth it, if you're planning to do something serious with it. It can be frustrating sometimes when things don't work out how you want them to, but with a little work it's well worth it putting a little extra thought into a map! Thanks for checking it out :)

Majortopio
09-27-2010, 06:20 PM
Update! Did a lot of work on the next landmass (the one directly under the one I previously worked on - the westernmost central landmass). Here's a 100% view of both. Neither are finished yet, but I wanted to get started on the next landmass so I'm kind of variating between the two at the moment.

I experimented with some town/settlement markers on the bottom landmass... I'm not so sure about them yet, but it's a start.

bartmoss
09-28-2010, 04:49 PM
You're making me feel guilty about not having worked on any maps in two weeks.

Majortopio
09-28-2010, 05:54 PM
You're making me feel guilty about not having worked on any maps in two weeks.

Haha, well I'll try to refrain from posting my now WIP region maps for the bay just under Archan's Point and for a city within that region (just to take a break from the overall map so as not to get tired of it too fast...) for a while then.. :D

bartmoss
09-29-2010, 02:33 AM
Nah, post freely.

Majortopio
09-29-2010, 05:12 AM
Well alright then, I shall :D

Here's a WIP region map of the large bay on the western part of the second landmass (the one I'm currently working on in the main map). I'm making it antique-style, to see how the change of styles would work and if it would look any good. In my opinion, it does, which is lucky because the setting I had in mind for this world was fantasy/medieval.

I used some brushes from around this site for the mountains and trees and made my own in the same style for the hills.

jtougas
09-29-2010, 05:16 AM
Excellent!! I love this style of map. If I had any sort of issue with it It might be the colors they seem rather intense for a map of this style.. :)

Majortopio
09-29-2010, 05:18 AM
Excellent!! I love this style of map. If I had any sort of issue with it It might be the colors they seem rather intense for a map of this style.. :)

Thanks man! And yeah, that's one of my main peeves with it as well, but I don't know how else to show the boundaries of the countries while at the same time being able to distinguish between which border belongs to who.. :/