PDA

View Full Version : September/October Entry: City of Iscarleau

Avengeil
09-25-2010, 04:17 AM
This is my first challenge entry and also my first attempt in mapping something different than battlemaps so it's going to be a learning procedure.The attachment is an early view of Iscarleau. I have only got the main ideas straight and now I'm placing the buildings.I'm posting it now more as of a commitment for me to not back out of the challenge.

"The City of Iscarleau started out as a vacation resort for Count Regas and his wife. With the passing of the years though a small settlement started to flourish south of the mansion and slowly but steadily grew into what today is called The City of Iscarleau.Today, Count Regas's mansion has fallen to ruins after the great wars of the third era and nature is taking back it's territory ontop the hill."

Also here is an explanation for the numbers:
1. Temple for the Godess of travel Antaerun
2. Water mill
3. Varonian Family Estate
4. Market Triangle

C&C welcome and appreciated.

jtougas
09-25-2010, 11:48 AM
Great start!! Nice backstory too. :)

tilt
09-25-2010, 11:55 AM
good start, looking forward to seing more :)

Avengeil
09-26-2010, 10:33 AM
I have finished the layouts of the buildings and I have to say that these little buildings are crazy but they have character and that's why I'm going to go with a crazy little city.
The East Side of the city is the side where the poorer people live and the west side is the side where all the merchants and the nobles have their estates.A mostly symbolic stone fence seperates the two areas.
After this update I think that I have the layout of the city finished and I'm going to start playing with the textures and the like
Below is the key for the map:

1. Temple for the Godess of travel Antaerun
2. Water mill
3. Varonian Family Estate
4. Market Triangle
5.Bank Ave Pecunia
6. East-Side Shacks
7. The Dividing Wall
8. West Side Estates

C&C is welcome and appreciated...
and btw I have to state that no offence is meant with the east-west side backstory just to avoid misunderstandings.

### LATEST WIP ###

mearrin69
09-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Looking pretty good. Might consider replacing some of the rectangular buildings on the west side with square ones for variety?

and btw I have to state that no offence is meant with the east-west side backstory just to avoid misunderstandings.

LOL. If any one takes offense at the socio-economic divisions in your digital fantasy town I will personally take them behind the router and whip them soundly. ;)
M

Avengeil
09-26-2010, 02:56 PM
Might consider replacing some of the rectangular buildings on the west side with square ones for variety?

Yes, I think you're right about the buildings so in the next update the east side of Iscarleau shall have new types of houses.

Avengeil
09-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Minor update, added square houses and messed around making a river texture.
I'm starting to wonder for how long I will be able to postpone the coloring of the land:)
C&C appreciated and welcome

### LATEST WIP ###

Aval Penworth
09-28-2010, 09:30 PM
It's hard to comment until you get a little further along. Push on with some colours, textures and effects on your buildings...I am sure you willl get more feedback then.

Avengeil
09-30-2010, 02:12 PM
I was finally able to find some time to work on this map and I have basically started playing with the textures.
I discovered how useful the smudge tool is for the river:), made the lake and added a basic background texture.I'm not happy with how the lake came out and the ground texture looks a bit weird in my opinion but I haven't played with it yet so I'll leave it for the next update.
My biggest concern though is if the buildings are or are not out of scale as I have know experience on regional or city maps.
C&C welcome and appreciated(and this time I think needed:))
### LATEST WIP ###

jtougas
09-30-2010, 04:49 PM
I was finally able to find some time to work on this map and I have basically started playing with the textures.
I discovered how useful the smudge tool is for the river:), made the lake and added a basic background texture.I'm not happy with how the lake came out and the ground texture looks a bit weird in my opinion but I haven't played with it yet so I'll leave it for the next update.
My biggest concern though is if the buildings are or are not out of scale as I have know experience on regional or city maps.
C&C welcome and appreciated(and this time I think needed:))

looking good. you could try varying the colors on your riverbanks (depending on the depth of the river) I like my banks to be really defined as it helps depict the depth and "flow" of the river. Also if the roads are dirt you could outline them with a large fuzzy brush at a low opacity to make them look like they have been "carved" into the terrain over the years. I also really like your water nice job!! :)

Aval Penworth
10-01-2010, 01:57 AM
I think the ground texture looks wierd because it is not the right scale. Can you scale down the texture in GIMP? Looking at that texture I would expect the buildings to be much bigger.
The river looks for like fake fur, than water to me :) .

You have a lot of space to fill and getting that all to flow and balance without detracting from the town can be quite a challenge. If you have a clear idea of how you are going to do the landscape and how it will compliment the city, thats great. ( Excuse me for butting in early) If not, ask yourself the question: how is all that space going to compliment and draw the viewers eye to the town? As the town is the main focus of the map.

In your poor area the buildings are very hap-hazzard and look like they have been randomly scattered. I imagine even in a slum, people put a bit more thought into where they place their structures. I would also imagine that in poorer areas buildings would be built up against existing structures to save on costs.

I hope that is helpful.

AP

Avengeil
10-01-2010, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the comments.

@ jtougas: about the water I think that I am going to vary the darkness based on the depth. I was a bit stuck yesterday but I easily found a solution this morning, and thanks for the tip on the road, it shall certainly find usage.

@ Aval: yes I agree with you that the grass doesn't have the correct scale.Now I'm trying to decide if I want to scale down the texture or redesign the whole city, but I think I'll go with the second one as I'm not quite happy with the way it looks.I'm also thinking that if I scale up the city the eye shall be drawed to it easier and yes it was really helpful:)

Avengeil
10-02-2010, 06:48 AM
I quick question, how do I scale up or down a texture? Thanks in advance:)

Aval Penworth
10-02-2010, 07:30 AM

Sorry I don't use GIMP but in my version of photoshop there is a scaling tool when you select the texture.

jtougas
10-02-2010, 09:52 AM

The way that I do it is to scale the image of the texture that I am using. I usually like to start out with a large texture image (512x512 at least) so I can scale it down when I need to. Hope this helps (oh and I am using GIMP) :)

Avengeil
10-03-2010, 09:36 AM
Thank you guys for the answer.Well Gimp doesn't have any texture scaling tool so I have to do it manually as jtougas described.
I also read ravells tutorial on fantasy cities and the way I look at city mapping has completely changed.Amazing tutorial!

Now about the map I think that I'm happy with the water at the moment after the depths that I have put in and I redid the whole city layout and changed a bit of the backstory in my mind.
But generally speaking I now have a firmer idea about my city so I think everything will come out easier.

C&C is welcome and appreciated.
### LATEST WIP ###

jtougas
10-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Looking good. The building placement is right on. Maybe a "fuzzy" airbrush of a "earthy" color along your riverbanks. :)

Aval Penworth
10-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Coming along. I am still concerned that you have a lot of negative space, but I have faith in you.

PS. No texture scaling in GIMP, huh?. They need to do something about that.

Avengeil
10-05-2010, 12:58 PM
And yet another update.
What I have done is quite obvious so I'm not going to start babbling about it.Next up are the buildings.
Also next to Count Regas's mansion are a series of winding gardens, which is something that I think you should know beforehand(he was quite into gardening).

@ Aval, the negative area is concerning me too.I'm leaving it purposefully to the end so that I will have something ready for the deadline and from that I will be able to keep adding.I'm thinking about some farmlands, a few forested areas, a small quarry next to the cliff, a peer at the lake, a house or two beside the shore and the bridges.If you guys have any other ideas please say so cause they will be useful.

C&C welcome and appreciated:)

### LATEST WIP ###

geamon
10-07-2010, 01:26 AM
Starting to shape up. Gonna have pick up the pace though I'm thinking, that's a decent amount of buildings to complete in a week.

Avengeil
10-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Today's update...
First of all, thanks god that somebody developed a plug-in with layer effects for gimp, it saved me from a lot of work.
Secondly I caught a cold so I'll be staying home tomorrow which means that I will have a lot of time for mapping and then the weekend's on it's way so I think that I will be able to finish this map in time.
And thirdly I'm wondering for how long I will be able to postpone filling up the empty areas.
C&C welcome and appreciated.

### LATEST WIP ###

Avengeil
10-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Minor update...

### LATEST WIP ###

Avengeil
10-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Next update...
I've finally reached a point where the main bulk of the map is done and now I can start filling in the little detail that I wanted to for so long, like a lighthouse, maybe a quarry e.t.c.
But I have reached a dilemma about my farmlands, the first time I did it the center seemed a bit weird to me while the farm houses looked quite nice but the second time I went for it the center looked normal but the farm houses had lost some of their magic.What's your opinion?
Thanks in advance:)
30072 30071

geamon
10-10-2010, 12:21 PM
I think It's hard to bring a lot of small detail to the map you working on because the scale to resolution ratio you are working with. Are those walls around all the fields? Also is it only one field per farmhouse? Maybe the families have more then one crop. My view on farming is a little different but when it's a very flat topography for the area such as plains, the farms are more in a square form. On the other hand, when its hilly people shape their farms to the low lands of the hills and mountains. Therefore, the shapes seems very odd if this is a fairly flat area. I can be wrong in that assessment. All the houses aren't very defined from what I can see, aside from looking "buttonized". I'm thinking you may wanna work on ensuring the edges and peaks of the houses are evident and that should make them look better. I dunno I can be wrong, just my two cents.

Avengeil
10-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Thank you for your two cents geamon.
First of all the buttonization (lol) of the houses is a by-product of an outer bevel filter with not much editing after it so I will try to define those houses peaks.
About the farmlands I actually hadn't thought much about the placing of them.The shape of the right-bottom corner farmlands won't change but I will most possibly make a hill to go with them.And families should have more than one crop:)
Of course all of these corrections shall happen depending on the time that I have available.

Katto
10-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Try to place the fields around the farmhouse and use a rough rectangular shape. You should also add some storage buildings next to the farmhouses and don't forget to connect them to the roads :) Nice work so far!

Avengeil
10-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Thanks Katto,
with yours and geamon's advice I think I might have solved the problem that I had with field placing.

and don't forget to connect them to the roads
That was one of the little details but I'm not quite sure that I would have remembered it:)

Avengeil
10-14-2010, 01:28 PM
Well I am calling this project finished because at the moment I do not have enough time (or nerve) to do any more work on it.
There are a few things that I don't like about it currently and a lot more things that I would do differently if I ever redid this map.
All in all I really enjoyed this entry.
Thanks to everyone who helped out in the wip for enduring my amateurness especially jtougas, aval and geamon.

And now to give proper recognition to all my sources:
First of all the amazing tutorial by Ravells "Creation and Depiction of Fantasy Cities - Parts I & II",
a mostly idea giving tutorail by Pyradon "A medieval town map tutorial in Photoshop",
a minor but valuable tutorial by kittrellbj "City Walls in Photoshop"
and finally "cgtextures" a valuable source of textures.

Cheers,

### LATEST WIP ###

geamon
10-14-2010, 01:42 PM
Yayers you got a submittable version done!!

jtougas
10-14-2010, 02:16 PM
Looks great ! I love the fields !! :)

Avengeil
10-15-2010, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the kind words you guys:)

Avengeil
10-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the kind words you guys and because I surely messed up something above I'm reposting.

### LATEST WIP ###

Edit: It seems that I am immensely crazy.