PDA

View Full Version : the capital city of Naim

leonid
11-24-2007, 04:33 PM
Hi, folks--

Newbie here. I've been doing a good bit of lurking lately and decided to post a city map I've drawn for a story I'm writing. Technically, it's a finished product (since I haven't worked on it in several months), but as there's always room for improvement, I thought I'd post it as a work-in-progress to get some feedback.

The city of Naim (pronounced NYE-im) is built on the limestone cliffs at the mouth of the fast-moving Great River. At several spots in the town the river falls through the limestone into the caves below (that's why the river disappears here and there).

The river was drawn in PS, the buildings in Sketchup.

Your comments are always welcome.

Thanks!

-Leonid

pyrandon
11-24-2007, 05:17 PM
Hey, Leonid, thanks for posting this! I really like the buildings--and I'd be interested to know how you achieved them in SketchUp (so I can copy you ;)

I also like the compass rose's colors alternating with the river. Well done.

The overarching visual effect of the map does confuse me a tad: the parchment and ripped edges imply a photograph of an old, authentic map, while conversely the actual line art is so clean and perfect that they appear computer-generated. Neither style is wrong, of course, but together they appear to ride the fence. Did you have an intended objective for this map? Answering that may help in offering advice.

I'm glad you posted!

leonid
11-24-2007, 06:30 PM
Thanks, Don! You're absolutely right about the conflicting styles. That was something I completely overlooked. I can't believe I missed something so obvious. Yowtch!

The compass rose was just put on a separate layer whose blending mode was set to...well, something I can't remember. Maybe Overlay.

As to how I got the buildings, the answer is simple: a LOT of work. Hours turned into days turned into weeks. That said, I am a slow study, so it probably shouldn't have taken quite so long. :)

Basically, I drew a whole bunch of buildings that didn't touch each other the first time around. Then I went back in, drew a rectangle to scale (something like a mile long), determined where my roads would be and sketched them in with the Freehand tool. Finally, I used the Line tool to draw buildings abutting each other along the edges of the roads. And over and over and over. Simple as that.

I think I'm going to try putting all the map elements into one style as you suggested. That sounds like a great idea. And I'll be using your tutorial for some of that as well!

Thanks again!

-Leonid

leonid
11-24-2007, 06:38 PM
By the way, I have a 7-meg video file with a 3D fly-through of the map but I don't think I can attach it here. Any thoughts on how I might be able to upload it?

Thanks!

-L

jaerdaph
11-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Very nice map. I've always liked that style for representing city buildings. Very old school Judges Guild. :)

RPMiller
11-25-2007, 02:17 AM
By the way, I have a 7-meg video file with a 3D fly-through of the map but I don't think I can attach it here. Any thoughts on how I might be able to upload it?

Thanks!

-L
You could upload it to YouTube and then post a link here. Also, if you zip it I believe it will be attachable.

leonid
11-25-2007, 03:51 AM
Thanks for the tip, Rob. Here's the link. This is a fly-through of the original design, before I re-drew it to connect the buildings (it just seemed disjointed otherwise).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbU4JJy4dBw

-L

NeonKnight
11-25-2007, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the tip, Rob. Here's the link. This is a fly-through of the original design, before I re-drew it to connect the buildings (it just seemed disjointed otherwise).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbU4JJy4dBw

-L

MY.....DEAR.....GOD.....

Should.....have.....sent.....a......poet!

RPMiller
11-25-2007, 02:45 PM
Very cool. How long did it take you to do all that in sketchup?

leonid
11-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Thanks. It took "a while," that's for sure. Once I started using Ruby scripts, things went faster, but I still had to draw every single building and it was...umm...slow-going. :) I did it over the course of a few months, but part of the equation was the fact that I didn't know what I was doing and had to learn it all as I went along. I'm sure someone familiar with the software could probably get through it much faster than I did.

I'm still considering doing a new video render (I notice that it has some issues) of the updated map, but first I'd need to add heights and roofs to all the buildings and, frankly, that just scares me. Maybe I'll just make some popcorn instead! ;)

Midgardsormr
11-25-2007, 03:00 PM
Popcorn; yum! I really like the winding streets and color-coded city sections.

I noticed there were bridges in the fly-through, but there are none indicated on the map. Also, did you have a reference for the layout of the castle? The keep is connected to the outer curtain wall, which seems insecure to me. I am by no means an authority on castle construction, though.

leonid
11-25-2007, 03:40 PM
Yeah, I made the bridges as components and didn't flatten them for my final 2D version. Another oversight.

As to the castle, that was just plain ignorance. I liked the idea of building something that looked like a key hole (it was a weird metaphor for locking away the secrets of governance) but, admittedly, it's not realistic. I may go back and redesign it.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Archmagician
11-30-2007, 01:08 AM
Hello,

This is my first post (my second will be to the introductions section)!

I am amazed by the 3d rendering of the city, that is awesome! I have to say though after watching those ships sail into that massive cavern, and that teeny, tiny support above that huge cavern upon which the city rests, there is NO WAY I am living in that city!

*gulp*

That b---- is coming down!!!

Sular
12-18-2007, 01:12 AM
The city is very artfully mapped. The flythrough was something of a shock to me however, mostly due to the fact that the map style reminded me of mayan art so the Europeanness of the city was unexpected.

Redrobes
12-23-2007, 10:12 PM
Once I started using Ruby scripts, things went faster...I hack a bit of Perl for all sorts of stuff. What did you use the Ruby for ?