PDA

View Full Version : Sep-Oct Entry - Priory of Saint Margaret of Antioch

geamon
09-26-2010, 04:10 AM
I'm gonna wade in Lite-Challenge as well this month. Basic concept, priory located in British Isles circa 1100-1200. Small village attached to local sect of monks, economy is heavily based on animal husbandry, wool trade and quarrying. Here's my general layout so far. Very rough draft, the purple area indicates market area and the black lines are low stone walls designed to keep livestock out of town. Let me know if this feels right for placement.

### LATEST WIP ###

Avengeil
09-26-2010, 08:42 AM
So if I'm understanding correctly you are talking about a town in which every house has it's own land with animals in it even inside the city? Interesting idea.

geamon
10-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Here's where I'm at for now after a couple of hours of work invested. Unsure of the abbeys layout and looking for some criticism on style.

So if I'm understanding correctly you are talking about a town in which every house has it's own land with animals in it even inside the city? Interesting idea.

Not necessarily, just that its a central trading spot for the wool market every season. But local peasants in town also have herds.

### Latest WIP ###

Marken4
10-06-2010, 04:40 PM
The grass texture tile a bit :\ And the drop shadow could be better, but other than that it looks great :)

Avengeil
10-07-2010, 12:25 AM
Looking good.
I would propose you putting an earthy texture for the riverbeds so the transition from water to grass would be easier.

geamon
10-07-2010, 01:16 AM
New update. Unsure if I should keep the individual trees or cut them out. Included version with and without, don't want it to be too cluttered. I also have undetermined textures for farm land and grass, placeholders at the moment. River looks fine now for the most part just struggling to add riverbed to express depth. Again criticism desired.

### Latest WIP ###

geamon
10-07-2010, 06:32 AM
Another update. Everything is coming together. Only thing that stands out as odd is the forest in the bottom left. Unsure what to do with it to make it work. All I have next is labeling and a title block. Thinking about finishing it off in a cloth map style.

### Latest WIP ###

Marken4
10-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Looks pretty good, the fields are a bit to squared for my taste, but...

Aval Penworth
10-07-2010, 09:56 AM
It feels like a simple sylized illustration, like out of a children's book to me. I'd just make that dark area into two hills to keep the simplicity but make them a bright grass colour.

mearrin69
10-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Looking pretty good. I like what you've done with the roofs. The fields are pretty squarish but, as Aval points out, those add ot the interesting, stylized look. I like it!
M

geamon
10-08-2010, 03:33 AM
I'm zeroing in on a final product now. Improved on the forest in the bottom left, added a title block and made some minor adjustments. Also soften the image out which I think makes it look better. At the moment I'm debating small things like a scale, border cartouche etc... Let me know if you think I'm missing anything.

## Latest WIP ###

Steel General
10-08-2010, 07:17 AM
I like it, except for me the wavy borders between the fields are a little overpowering.

On a silly note: Where do they keep the Holy Hand Grenade? :)

geamon
10-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Added border, compass rose and edited the hedges around the fields to make them less overpowering. I think this will be my final version. This has been really fun to make and very educational. I laughed when I just saved it, the .xcf has a total of 112 layers.

On a silly note: Where do they keep the Holy Hand Grenade?

It's under the altar at the abbey.

### Latest WIP ###

Aval Penworth
10-10-2010, 08:09 AM
This map has a wonderful charm. I still think the bottom left corner hills are too dark. But other that, lovely!

geamon
10-10-2010, 08:21 AM
It's supposed to be a woodland area or forest.

Aval Penworth
10-10-2010, 08:25 AM
Ah, yes of course. I see my mistake. Sorry Pillowman.

(I think your forest is too dark, but overall... lovely.)

geamon
10-10-2010, 08:47 AM
Let's hope I can win against a 3D metropolis!! :P

Katto
10-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Hey geamon, don't worry, your map is really nice!