PDA

View Full Version : Hello and first question

derdax
10-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Hello cartographers,

I think I am what is called a nooby in cartography but I am really fascinated and the maps I saw here were just awesome :)

But as a nooby it didn't take much time gettinge to a point were I got problems.
I tried to follow this tutorial (PHOTOSHOP)

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?3806-Award-Winner-Antique-style-maps-in-Photoshop

and I am stucked at point 5.
When I trie to use "Filter > Texture > Texturizer = use canvas as the texture, set the scaling at 50%, the relief at 5, and the light is at the top"
it says "Could not complete the Texturizer command because the selected area is empty"
Okay, I get that the area is "empty" so I need to fill something... but what step I didn't get from the tutorial?

Sorry for my english.

thanks

NeonKnight
10-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Welcome to the Guild!

I'm afraid I cannot answer your PHOTOSHOP question, but I know someone will be along who can.

Marken4
10-04-2010, 01:25 PM
* Create a new layer and rename it to “aging”. Change the foreground color to something tan with a bit of red in it…I used 84745E (rgb 132, 116, 94). Now change the layer’s opacity to 15%. Filter > Texture > Texturizer = use canvas as the texture, set the scaling at 50%, the relief at 5, and the light is at the top (this puts the emphasis on the horizontal lines whereas top left gives us something more 3d than what we want) ((pic antique 9)).

You have to fill the layer with a red tan (#84745E), turn the layeropacity to 15%, and then use the textureizer. I think.. Never tried it out myself.

Welcome to the guild! :)

derdax
10-04-2010, 01:56 PM
okay I think I got it now. I was a little bit confused cause the tutorial just said "change foreground colour" and not fill the layer with it. aaahhh... yeah... I know... could have see it on my own...

thanks

Marken4
10-04-2010, 02:06 PM
Hehe ^^ I can see how it could be confusing :)

Steel General
10-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Welcome Aboard!

jtougas
10-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Welcome To The Guild !! :)