PDA

View Full Version : A mapping opportunity

industrygothica
10-08-2010, 01:37 PM
As many of you know, I am currently running a play-by-post game over at EN World based in the Witchlight Strand (http://www.enworld.org/forum/playing-game/267300-d-d-d-d-4th-edition-igs-witchlight-strand.html) (area 25 of the CWBP). I started running this game for two reasons:

1. I hoped to be able to expand upon the Witchlight Strand and make it a more detailed area.

2. I hoped others would follow suit, and bring more detail to the entire CWBP project.

While reason #2 has yet to come to fruition, #1 has proven to be spot on. Case in point:

The PCs are currently in the village of Hania, located at the edge of the Liaglades on the Crescent River. The villagers are currently holed up in the local tavern waiting out the last remnants of an orcish horde, emboldened due to the recent activity of the Witchlight phenomena. The PCs have made their way into this tavern, and are currently speaking with Hania's de facto ruler, Deeson Voss, about making plans for a last-stand battle in hopes to rid Hania of the last of the orcs. Druthruss Deapseam and Vatan Redbeard (played by our own Redrobes and Korash, respectively), have asked Voss for a map of Hania in order to get a better feel of the village while they're laying out plans.

While I can certainly throw together a quick and dirty map of the village to give the adventurers, I thought that this would be the perfect time to invite someone else to contribute to the project. I believe that situations like this are what the CWBP is all about, and I would love to see someone else get their hands dirty with it!

To paraphrase:

NEEDED:
A map of the village of Hania (http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com/index.php?title=The_Witchlight_Strand#Hania), in the Witchlight Strand

REQUIREMENTS:
For continuity, the village must contain some sort of inn or tavern. There should also be some evidence of farmland, for reasons stated in the wiki writeup (link above). All else is left to the imagination of the artist.

Thanks,
-IG

industrygothica
10-14-2010, 01:09 AM
I'm somewhat disheartened that no one has taken this opportunity to get into the CWBP. I've seen a lot of posts from people that say they want to contribute but don't know where to start, and here I've put it out on a silver platter.

Hopefully this bump will inspire someone. Otherwise I suppose I'll start it when I get back from New Orleans in a couple of weeks.

-IG

mearrin69
10-14-2010, 02:12 AM
Heya IG,
I never saw the original post for some reason...been a little time pressured of late and only checking the boards on the surface. A small village sounds doable despite my time constraints, however. I'll put together something in the style I've been messing with lately by next week. I'll go school myself on what the area is like in the meantime.

And, to everyone else, don't take this as a "stay out" sort of thing. Do your own version. We'll let IG figure out which one he wants for Hania and put the others somewhere else. The CWBP needs lots of villages. It also needs me to finish my city I started ages ago.
M

Edit: BTW, I'm going to assume you'd like the town to be partially ruined and being rebuilt, as the entry notes? Or is this set in another timeframe? From your story above it sounds like this might be pre-slaughter.

industrygothica
10-14-2010, 03:17 AM
Before, during, or after the invasion. Doesn't matter to me really, so whatever makes you happy. Any one of them will go fine on the wiki page.

Thanks for tackling it...

-IG

jtougas
10-14-2010, 03:20 PM
Well since I like town mapping so much I'll try a version although with M involved it won't be a hard choice.. :) but as as was said it could be used for another village...

mearrin69
10-14-2010, 03:28 PM
Hah. At least you'll probably finish yours. I've been bad about finishing things lately. :) Be interesting to compare our village designs when done. I'm seriously considering getting the basic layout from the random city map program thingie (forget the name of it right now but it's posted around here somewhere).
M

jtougas
10-14-2010, 03:33 PM
Thats probably a good idea :) I'm thinking I'm going to try pre-orcs only because I'm not sure if I'm up to "rubble"..

industrygothica
10-14-2010, 03:55 PM
If anyone is interested, the PCs are going to be heading to Hallowdale very soon. Hallowdale is more of a region than a town, with various barbarian tribes making their home in the area. With the current king on his deathbed, preparations are underway for the contests that will determine the new king.

Less important than the Hania map, it might still be a fun one to do. See the beginning of the game thread for a little more info (like the dying king's name... can't remember that for the life of me).

mearrin69
10-14-2010, 07:31 PM
I think this might be a good way to get people involved. As a DM I get more creatively inspired creating stuff for a story in progress than for some generic thing that might or might not ever see use. If I make something and your players enjoy it it'll give me a small bit of happiness. :)

BTW, is that a river violation on the Crescent west of Hania? Can rivers split and reform?
M

Edit: Posted a WiP thread here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?12202-(CWBP)-Village-of-Hania-2).

industrygothica
10-14-2010, 07:38 PM
Its not supposed to split and reform... its just looks like it. Its supposed to just be wider at that point. Did I mention that I needed to redo that map?

mearrin69
10-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Ah. :) Thanks for the clarification!
M

jtougas
10-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Its not supposed to split and reform... its just looks like it. Its supposed to just be wider at that point. Did I mention that I needed to redo that map?

Ah..darn I spent a good bit of time trying to make that look right.. :)

industrygothica
10-14-2010, 09:21 PM
Could be a small island or something.

Redrobes
10-14-2010, 09:22 PM
I have to say I missed this post first time around too. Must've posted it at the beginning of a posting frenzy. I look at recent posts in last 24 hrs to catch up.

Marken4
10-15-2010, 02:57 AM
I want to make the Hallowdale map :D Should I plot in some more villages than the barbariantribes?

industrygothica
10-15-2010, 11:50 AM
I want to make the Hallowdale map :D Should I plot in some more villages than the barbariantribes?

Thanks! I would personally consider each tribe a village in it's own right; I wouldn't think that the individual tribes would live that closely to one another. Of course you're free to put in other villages if you want, but there would probably need to be some sort of reason that a civilized village lived so close to the barbarians.

As for the tribes themselves, make as many as you want. I think they most typically follow animal names (tribe of the wolf, elk, etc...), but you're free to put your own spin on that as well.

Thanks again. I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with.

To everyone else: Hey, look at that! We're about to have three new maps to add to the CWBP!

-IG

mearrin69
10-16-2010, 11:41 PM
Posted my finished village map here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?12217-CWBP-The-village-of-Hania&p=131495#post131495). Hope you like it.
M

mearrin69
10-17-2010, 12:59 AM
Where's Hallowdale, anyway? I've been looking around the wiki and can't seem to find it.
M

industrygothica
10-17-2010, 01:20 AM
Where's Hallowdale, anyway? I've been looking around the wiki and can't seem to find it.
M

Try this (http://cwbp.cartographersguild.com/index.php?title=The_Witchlight_Strand#Hania).

-IG

mearrin69
10-17-2010, 01:32 AM
Don't see it. I had already looked at that page for it but just did a text search and it's not coming up. What am I missing?
M

Edit: Oh, duh. It's on the map. Is there any text about it anywhere (apart from your post above)?

industrygothica
10-17-2010, 01:33 AM
Don't see it. I had already looked at that page for it but just did a text search and it's not coming up. What am I missing?
M

Edit: Oh, duh. It's on the map. Is there any text about it anywhere (apart from your post above)?

Nope... that's it.

ravells
10-18-2010, 07:29 AM
Hey IG, I've just finished a large town / city experiment and am happy to donate it to the cause unlabelled so you can fill in any areas in the city which are relevant to the adventure. I had a look at the Wiki entry for the Witchlight strand and cannot see any of the locations which suit it (even with some modification). I'm happy to modify it so it fits any surrounding terrian, eg. putting in a river, coastline or mountains if you would like. Tell me whether you want it and what you want the surrounding countryside to look like, whether you want (or don't want) any particular buildings etc.

Cheers

Ravs

industrygothica
10-18-2010, 10:55 AM
I'd love to have any of your work in my adventure. I have no idea where this would fit right now, though. I don't see the PCs heading into a big city any time soon, as they're actually headed toward the less civilized wildlands of Bruskos (shh.. don't tell anyone ;) ).

I think maybe the city itself could be modified to fit Jaston or maybe a town in the Briar's Cove region. Those areas won't be used in the game for quite some time though, if at all, so you could just as fairly donate your work to any other needy city in Ansium. Or you could hang on to it and we'll see what happens with the game. I'm sort of hoping someone will follow my lead and start up their own game somewhere else in the world.

Thanks for the work! It's an excellent map!

-IG

ravells
10-18-2010, 11:23 AM
No worries, IG. I'll find some unmapped city in Ansium and post it there. I would really like to do some maps for your world though - be warned, I'm going through a vector phase in my life so they are likely to be less 'arty' and more 'graphic-y'. It allows me to feel I'm involved in the adventure somehow!

industrygothica
10-18-2010, 11:30 AM
No worries, IG. I'll find some unmapped city in Ansium and post it there. I would really like to do some maps for your world though - be warned, I'm going through a vector phase in my life so they are likely to be less 'arty' and more 'graphic-y'. It allows me to feel I'm involved in the adventure somehow!

What about a dungeon map? There are some specifics, but if you're interested...

Knowing your work, I'm sure it won't be long before you find a happy medium between arty and graphic-y.

-IG

ravells
10-18-2010, 01:35 PM
Happy to give it a whirl! Do you want PM me the details?

industrygothica
10-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Happy to give it a whirl! Do you want PM me the details?

Apparently your in box is full and not taking new messages.

ravells
10-18-2010, 02:22 PM
Sorry, hadn't realised. I've cleared some room for you now

industrygothica
10-18-2010, 03:53 PM
sent

-IG