PDA

View Full Version : (CWBP) Village of Hania #2

mearrin69
10-14-2010, 06:39 PM
Well, jtougas beat me to it but here's my WiP thread for Hania. :) Starting with a random map output by RPG Citymap Generator. We'll see where it goes. Maybe it's too big for a village?
M

Edit: jtougas makes a good point on his thread. IG mentions that this map is a handout for the players. There's probably no aerial surveillance photography going on in the Witchlight Strand so maybe I'll pass on doing this in my recent favorite "photographic/textured" style in favor of something more achievable with ink on parchment.

jtougas
10-14-2010, 08:17 PM
I like it. I tried the generator as well but I can never seem to get it to come out right..I think I might have a redo of mine now.. :)

mearrin69
10-14-2010, 09:24 PM
I got lucky. A lot of time it generates junk.

On this one I flipped the output vertically and rotated it 45 degrees or so CCW to get it all in the right place. I usually move things around a bit to suit. The real trick, IMHO, to using this thing is to use Select-Color Range on the output image for each of the components and then make that a separate filled layer. That gives you base layers to work with for your map. I'm considering a hand-drawn map, though, so that may not matter here.
M

mearrin69
10-14-2010, 11:24 PM
Next step...playing with style a little bit. I like where this is going. The trees are the borked output from the generator and will be redone. The river, too, will get reshaped somewhat...it's just a line right now. Trying for something that's not necessarily hand-drawn but that doesn't look like it was taken from geosynchronous orbit by high-quality optics.
M

Edit: Yes. I will hit at fields and such. Just getting the basics down first.

RecklessEnthusiasm
10-15-2010, 01:09 AM
Very nice, Mearrin!

Steel General
10-15-2010, 06:06 AM
Looking good so far.

geamon
10-15-2010, 02:28 PM
Looking good. I dunno but do those trees look like drops of molten metal or something that cooled or solidified?

mearrin69
10-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Yar. The trees are funky, mainly because they're just the circles output by the generator. I'm going to create some more natural looking shapes and will refine them to look a little better once that's done.
M

Marken4
10-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Looks nice, mearrin (Why did you add 69 btw? :P Hehehe...), you should probably indeed change the trees, yes :P Now they look more like.. Hundreds of random towers?

mearrin69
10-15-2010, 07:10 PM
First initial, middle initial, first five letters of last name. UNIX login circa 1989. Added 69 (birth year) because Yahoo said mearrin was taken...if you can believe that (and this was *early* in the history of the Intarwebz.) Yeah. Most people assume it's supposed to be vulgar. Didn't even occur to me at the time. :)
M

geamon
10-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Don't worry man. I'd change my name on this forum as well. Originally made it as a placeholder just so I can access stuff. Should have just made a new one when I actually started to contribute.

mearrin69
10-16-2010, 04:16 AM
Okay. This is getting there. The farmland's a little hinkey. Still need to number the town features...this is just a test to see if I like the legend and map title. Still no scale or rose. C&C welcomed.
M

Crayons
10-16-2010, 05:34 AM
I'm especially liking those fields. The logical bit of my brain always wonders why roads create "islands" by splitting when both paths go to the same place? Minor thing really, some Desire Lines do that I guess.

Aval Penworth
10-16-2010, 06:17 AM
I'm especially liking those fields. The logical bit of my brain always wonders why roads create "islands" by splitting when both paths go to the same place? Minor thing really, some Desire Lines do that I guess.

Well I imagine you would only do that if each path had something to get to along the way.

Steel General
10-16-2010, 07:54 AM
Or maybe there's a big rock and they went around both sides of it *shrugs*

mearrin69
10-16-2010, 08:36 AM
Actually, yeah, I think they need to split and rejoin for a specific reason as well. It was my intention to put farms in between the splits. I'm still working on that. :)
M

mearrin69
10-16-2010, 10:22 PM
Okay. I think I'm going to call this done. Not much more I can do with it. IG, hope your guys like it...it's not quite the in-game handout I had in mind but I think it turned out pretty well. If you want the PS file (so you can rename stuff or whatever) let me know and I'll get it to you. This is actually only 75% because 100% was too big for the board's attachment system.
M

Sharpe
10-17-2010, 12:40 AM
Wowzers! That's awesome! Wish I could do stuff like that.

What font did you use for that? Have a link?

mearrin69
10-17-2010, 01:12 AM
Thanks! I expect you're fully capable of making a map like this. One year ago I would have thought it beyond my abilities too. Lots of easy tricks picked up on here lead to some pretty amazing results.

The town name is Trajan Pro (one of my favorites). The other labels are Blackadder ITC. I'm honestly not sure where they came from but I'm going to guess they came with Photoshop CS4? I haven't installed many other fonts on my PC so they're came with Windows (7) or CS4. Sorry I can't be more help on them.

Steel General
10-17-2010, 08:21 AM
I believe you can get both of those fonts at dafont.com