PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday List

geamon
10-15-2010, 09:00 AM
That's a lot of people today. I'm assuming this is all the spammers accounts you guys catch but aren't deleted?

mearrin69
10-15-2010, 10:11 AM
Wow. Happy b1r7hd4y!1!11!
M

"Forum spammers. We don't need their scum." (interestingly, nobody seems to agree whether it's "their" or "that". I heard "their" but it doesn't make sense to me. Maybe it's a Britishism?)

geamon
10-15-2010, 10:53 AM
Both work I'm thinking it depends under what kinda context you want to describe it. It's either "their" as in they produce the scum or "that" scum meaning they themselves are the scum. Gotta love language disputes. Haha

Midgardsormr
10-15-2010, 01:59 PM
He's quoting The Empire Strikes Back. I didn't know there was a controversy over that line. I've always heard "their," too, but I never noticed that it wasn't grammatically correct.

Crayons
10-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Interesting. Something about the delivery of that line made me mentally add "kind of" in there. "...their kind of scum." I wonder if it's just me?

mearrin69
10-15-2010, 02:18 PM
I didn't know there was controversy either until I searched to make sure I remembered Adm. Piett's quote correctly. I heard "their" and it always sounded a little weird to me (which is why I checked) but I don't know if it's right or not...or really care I guess. :) Also, I didn't mean to imply that there's an actual fight going on, just that my search seemed to turn up both versions pretty equally.
M

Crayons
10-15-2010, 05:12 PM
So no fight? Boring!!! :D
Anyway, it's not a "Britishism" that I'm aware of, and I pretty much speak Received Pronunciation and Home Counties English - aka BBC English, etc.