PDA

View Full Version : *** Voting: September/October Lite Challenge - The Town ***

torstan
10-17-2010, 12:21 PM
This lite challenge was about mapping a town, using a set of building shapes as the base and a simple layout. Here's the original brief for ease of reference:

This month's lite challenge is to design a town. We've provided the street layout of major street and the collection of house shapes to use as a starting point. You must use these as a basis for your town. However they can be merged into larger structures and you don't need to use all of them. They can be resized and you can add more building shapes to the mix if you feel that these are not enough to populate your town.

As with the previous challenge, this can be tackled with a little out of the box thinking - as long as the shapes are clearly represented in the final map.

The thumbs for all the entries can be found here:

Sep/Oct Lite Challenge Thumbs (http://www.cartographersguild.com/utilities/Thumbs/Html/Challengers_LiteSep10.htm)

Once you've had a look through the entries, please vote for TWO (2) of the entries. Remember to rep those that you vote for and any others that you feel deserve it.

The voting will end on the 21st of October, in 4 days time.

Marken4
10-17-2010, 12:59 PM
Seriously, a lot of great entries this time, and I had a hard time picking out three entries that I thought deserved my vote. But after some thinking I settled on Aval Penworth and Katto's. Sorry everyone else, but Fey Prince-Valley had a great style and I really like the colours and the use of stone references to construct mountains. And I can never resist a 3D piece like that. I try to do some 3Dstuff myself now and then but I never manage to do anything like this :) Rep to both of you!

Ramah
10-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Some very nice entries here, as usual.

I went for Aval Penworth and Cereth's entries, both of which are wonderful.

Good luck all.

Avengeil
10-17-2010, 02:22 PM
I voted for Aval's and Katto's entries, they are both amazing even though completely different.
Good job and rep to everyone!!!

mearrin69
10-17-2010, 02:47 PM
Great entries, guys. I've been sick/busy/tired for the last few weeks so haven't really had a chance to keep a close eyes on these entries as they developed - so most of these are new to me. You guys all did an awesome job. My votes went with the destruction this month, for Marken4 (liked the unique presentation) and cereth (simply beautiful). The entries from Aval Penworth (inspirational) and Katto (super cool) both drew my eye too but I guess I'm a ruins kinda guy. Good luck to everyone in the voting!
M

Katto
10-17-2010, 03:39 PM
I voted for Aval, because the map is simply beautiful, especially the palace on the lower left stone. My second vote got geamon, because of the watercolour colours, which I like very much. Cereth's map is really beautiful, but the combination of border and folds? is not my taste. Well done to all who entered!

ravells
10-17-2010, 04:12 PM
Some really great entries.. I went for Aelyn and Katto. Special mention to Marken4 who would have got my third vote if I had one. I really liked the hand drawn feel on that one. Great entries everyone! Rep coming your way.

p.s. I should add that I loved Cereth's map too (really clean and artistic), but the folds didn't do it any favours.

Steel General
10-18-2010, 06:44 AM
I voted for Katto & Cereth - though on Cereth's I would've preferred one without the folds, it wasn't enough to overly detract from the whole piece.

Congratz to all those who entered!

Aval Penworth
10-18-2010, 07:00 PM
I voted for Katto's K-Town and my Valley of the Fey Prince, as I thought these were the standout maps this month.

RecklessEnthusiasm
10-19-2010, 01:02 AM
I votes for Katto and Penworth as well. The former was the neatest looking one, and the latter seemed the most 'finished'/to have the most polished presentation.

Jaxilon
10-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Great entries-I blew it and only voted for one :( Guess it was my turn to fail at reading. I give brief reasons below, what I liked and how I went about eliminating those I could not vote for. In the end this one came down to the feeling I got from looking at the map.

I Voted for Geamon - It was the way it made me feel just looking at it. I think the textures were just right or something.
Cereth would have gotten my vote I think except the folds added at the last really killed it for me.
Katto's was awesome and I love the way he turned the roads and put down a 3d view including the base shape in the corner panel. Maybe if the buildings had a bit more variety I would have gone for this one. Best water btw.
Aelyn's was also great and while I loved the coloring there was just too much white for me in the end.
Aval Penworth - A gorgeous entry, dropping it down in a valley was good. Not sure I liked the page on the right with a few words though. I think I'd rather have had a bigger zoom.
Avengeil - I really liked the garden areas with the pathway though it. The spacing seemed a bit odd to me though on the farmsteads. You might want to texture the roofs before rotating the buildings next time so the texture lines up with the roof line.

I don't claim that my critiques are expert and some of them may be woefully wrong but the bottom line is I have to do this sort of thing in order to cast a vote. I know it's crap and you all worked hard on your entries so for that reason I feel it's only right for me to let you know what happened as I looked at your entry. Good job everyone. Looking forward to more challenges!
Hai-Etlik - I felt like I was back in my early teens playing an adventure game ala the old Atari games. I think you nailed that feel.
Marken4 -This would work great as a player hand out I think. The others just had more detail and stuff.
jtougas - I liked how you faded the roadways and the fields in the upper right corner are awesome. The buildings all seem to have really flat roofs and that bothers me for some reason.

Avengeil
10-20-2010, 09:03 AM
Great entries-I blew it and only voted for one :( Guess it was my turn to fail at reading. I give brief reasons below, what I liked and how I went about eliminating those I could not vote for. In the end this one came down to the feeling I got from looking at the map.

I Voted for Geamon - It was the way it made me feel just looking at it. I think the textures were just right or something.
Cereth would have gotten my vote I think except the folds added at the last really killed it for me.
Katto's was awesome and I love the way he turned the roads and put down a 3d view including the base shape in the corner panel. Maybe if the buildings had a bit more variety I would have gone for this one. Best water btw.
Aelyn's was also great and while I loved the coloring there was just too much white for me in the end.
Aval Penworth - A gorgeous entry, dropping it down in a valley was good. Not sure I liked the page on the right with a few words though. I think I'd rather have had a bigger zoom.
Avengeil - I really liked the garden areas with the pathway though it. The spacing seemed a bit odd to me though on the farmsteads. You might want to texture the roofs before rotating the buildings next time so the texture lines up with the roof line.

I don't claim that my critiques are expert and some of them may be woefully wrong but the bottom line is I have to do this sort of thing in order to cast a vote. I know it's crap and you all worked hard on your entries so for that reason I feel it's only right for me to let you know what happened as I looked at your entry. Good job everyone. Looking forward to more challenges!
Hai-Etlik - I felt like I was back in my early teens playing an adventure game ala the old Atari games. I think you nailed that feel.
Marken4 -This would work great as a player hand out I think. The others just had more detail and stuff.
jtougas - I liked how you faded the roadways and the fields in the upper right corner are awesome. The buildings all seem to have really flat roofs and that bothers me for some reason.

This is just the type of post that made me want to participate in the lite challenge.Speaking for me keep the comments coming Jaxilon.

RjBeals
10-20-2010, 04:16 PM
My votes will have to go to:

Katto for K-City. Not normally my style of map, ya know computery 3-D. I'm more a traditional grungy type guy - but this map is way too cool to let slip by. I don't know whats involved in something like this, but it looks like it was a ton of work.

And following the trend, cereth - georgous. I agree with whomever said the folds were a bit much. They were distracting. But the map itself blends those faded colors perfectly.

I was soo close to voting for Aelyns map, something about the feel just looks good. And Aval I loved yours as well. Cool green textures from gaemon, and jtougas, love the compass rose and the farm in the top right. Good stuff there.

I have also been focused on the NY map, so I haven't frequented the developement of these. But nice work guys.

Aenigma
10-20-2010, 04:27 PM
I voted on:

* Katto for K-City since I think its nice to see it both in 3D and as a normal map. It's not something you see here usually and I like it.
and
*Cereth for the same reasons as RjBeals stated before me.

cereth
10-20-2010, 07:18 PM
Note to self, no more folds. :P

I voted for Katto and Aelyn.

torstan
10-21-2010, 12:32 PM
Congratulations to Katto for a decisive win and to all for a great crop of entries. Well done!

Marken4
10-21-2010, 12:53 PM
I actually ended up in fourth place O_o Thanks folks :P

Katto
10-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Thank you for the votes and the rep! I have something to polish now...;)

Aval Penworth
10-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Congrats Katto.

geamon
10-21-2010, 09:32 PM
Grats man!!

Crayons
10-21-2010, 10:10 PM
Nice one Katto! Congratulations.

Avengeil
10-22-2010, 06:39 AM
Congratulations Katto!

tilt
10-22-2010, 06:58 AM
congrats katto - cool map :)

Steel General
10-22-2010, 09:24 AM
Congratz Katto!

Sapiento
10-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Congrats Katto!

ravells
10-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Gratz Katto, great to see Bryce and the Tyrell Corporation being featured in a comp win!

Katto
10-22-2010, 01:02 PM
Thanks guys! I wasn't aware of the Tyrell Corporation, must have been a subconscious choice. Good movies will stick in memory somehow.

Djekspek
10-22-2010, 02:41 PM
Ouch, totally missed the voting... Is it just me or is the lite challenge getting better and better... Awesome entries again... and gratz Katto on the win, very nice entry indeed! cheers!