PDA

View Full Version : *** October/November Lite Challenge - Zooming In Further ***

torstan
10-19-2010, 03:11 PM
This month we'll be taking the building shapes used for last month's challenge and zooming in even further. Your challenge is to pick one of the building silhouettes and use this as the outline for your map. Create the interior of the building, along with some description of the place you are mapping. Other than that, the challenge is wide open! Let the best map win.

Here are the silhouettes as a png, and also as a .svg file:

To enter, create a new thread in this forum with the title of your piece and state clearly that this is an entry for the October/November Lite Challenge.

Each work in progress image should be preceded in the post by ### Latest WIP ### tag. This is so that the thumbnail scraper can pick up the images for the challenge thumbs.

The contest will end on the 15th of November with voting over the following days.

Good luck and happy mapping!

Avengeil
10-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Nice idea.
It seems to me that with these lite challenges I'll get experience in the various kinds of maps that I would elsewise take my time in approaching.
And of course I'll enter.

mearrin69
10-19-2010, 03:38 PM
See, that's awesome. Nice challenge idea!
M

geamon
10-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Question let's say I took the shapes from the previous mapping challenge to form a new building, i.e. the abbey in my priory map. Can I use that as the base of my map. Or is it constrained to the actual shapes that were provided.

Marken4
10-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Can I make the interior in 3D? Or..?
And can we use two or more of the shapes by setting them together?

torstan
10-19-2010, 05:29 PM
Yep, combinations of the shapes are totally allowed, as is 3D.

Ideally you will end up with a detailed building plan that fits into the town maps that were created in the previous lite challenge - though there's no requirement that you entered the last one of course.

Marken4
10-20-2010, 01:35 AM
Well... The Church I'm making will not be so abandoned as the one "Safe Church" in Ruinville :P But.. I'll try to add a slightly postapocalyptic feel to it.

Katto
10-20-2010, 06:10 AM
Cool challenge idea. Too bad that I have no time at the moment. Good luck guys!

RecklessEnthusiasm
10-21-2010, 06:17 AM
Hurray, an encounter-map scale challenge! We need more of those. I'll definitely be participating this month. Now, which shape...

Greason Wolfe
10-27-2010, 06:37 PM
So I'm thinking about entering this challenge, but . . .

The idea I have in mind would require changing the size of parts of a building/silhouette, and I'm not sure if that would be allowed within the constraints of the challenge. The other thing that struck me is the whole

Ideally you will end up with a detailed plan within the map you did for the previous challenge, and of course everyone else's map should also fit a floorplan of your town map, so everyone get's a load of useful maps at the end of the day.

I'm sure I must be interpreting that wrong, but it sounds very much as if we can't enter this challenge unless we participated in the previous challenge. If that's not the case, it might be a good idea to find a better way to word that part so that potential participants aren't put off.

GW

torstan
10-27-2010, 06:47 PM
Yep, sorry. That was a little confusing. The map should be recognisable as one of the silhouettes provided, but as ever the rules are fairly lenient, so as long as you can justify the shapeyou end up with from the ones provided I'm sure it'll be fine.

Also, participation in the previous challenge is not a pre-requisite. I'll reword it to make that clear. Thanks for pointing it out.

Aval Penworth
10-27-2010, 06:50 PM
GW that comment was a specific response to someone who did enter last month. Dude, you've been around long enough to know that the wording of the challenge was not meant to exclude anyone! :) But for those newcomers who feel unsure about entering: Go for it!

Greason Wolfe
10-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Oh, I pretty much figured nobody was meant to be excluded. But newer folk might have interpreted the original wording a different way. In any event, it looks like I might be a go for this challenge, if I can make the time for it and if I can get my idea to pan out the way I envision it. Though, at least for me, it will definitely be a new-old school style of entry and means I'm gonna have to cut waaaaaay back on the coffee. LOL

GW

tilt
10-28-2010, 02:09 AM
go for it GW, long time since you've entered a challenge :)

mearrin69
10-30-2010, 04:59 PM
So. I had a couple of hours to spare today and was considering trying to follow up my non-entry from last month's challenge (Sanly Bowitz (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?12038-Sanly-Bowitz-and-environs...)) by detailing the cathedral. I can't seem to open the SVG file, however. Photoshop/Illustrator/Bridge don't recognize the file type at all. When I double-click, Windows says it can't open it and then lets me go to a site to find an app to open it...it says that app is Paint Shop Pro. I happen to have a copy of PSP 9 (still in the box) that I've never installed. Do I have to break it out to open this file? Is there some other way to open it?
M

Hai-Etlik
10-30-2010, 05:16 PM
So. I had a couple of hours to spare today and was considering trying to follow up my non-entry from last month's challenge (Sanly Bowitz (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?12038-Sanly-Bowitz-and-environs...)) by detailing the cathedral. I can't seem to open the SVG file, however. Photoshop/Illustrator/Bridge don't recognize the file type at all. When I double-click, Windows says it can't open it and then lets me go to a site to find an app to open it...it says that app is Paint Shop Pro. I happen to have a copy of PSP 9 (still in the box) that I've never installed. Do I have to break it out to open this file? Is there some other way to open it?
M

Illustrator should be able to open it. Failing that you could try downloading Inkscape and using it to convert to postscript or something else Illustrator ought to recognize.

mearrin69
10-30-2010, 05:23 PM
Weird. You're right. I was trying to open it using the app and having no luck. With AI already open I can use the Place command to bring it in just fine. I guess it's just not a registered file type for some reason. That's odd, though. You'd think that, since it can be opened in AI, Bridge would recognize and display it. Thanks for the help!
M