PDA

View Full Version : Hello out there!

thomryng
10-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Good monring!

My name is Thom Ryng, and I'm a game designer and amateur map-maker. I use Photoshop pretty exclusively, but I'm always keen on finding new and better (and easier) ways of working.

I stumbled here in my quest to improve the look and feel of my maps, and I have to say I'm already a little overwhelmed with the amount of talent and skill here.

Here are some samples of my maps:

cheers,

thom

Ascension
10-19-2010, 05:37 PM
Not bad at all. All I can really say is that you might want to get more creative fonts (but still legible) and the mountain and hill symbols repeat too often so you might want to make up a few more to break up the repeats. Otherwise these are top-notch political maps. Nice job, man.

NeonKnight
10-19-2010, 06:35 PM
Welcome to the Guild!

Nice maps there!

Steel General
10-19-2010, 08:20 PM
Welcome Aboard and thanks for sharing some of your work!

thomryng
10-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I look forward to learning a lot. Just started my first tutorial...

mearrin69
10-19-2010, 11:30 PM
Welcome to the Guild! Nice maps, have some rep!
M

thomryng
10-20-2010, 09:58 PM
Welcome to the Guild! Nice maps, have some rep!
M

Cheers!

My very first rep, huzzah! :)

Halo of Gnats
10-21-2010, 12:10 AM
Hi Thom,

Disregard my reply from the other thread. The color scheme of the second piece reminds me a little of first edition Axis and Allies. It does, however,
also remind me of older 70's maps with strong regional and political delineation as was common then. I like them.
Good on you for the rep.
Your quote reflects my current mood these days. Thanks for the introduction. Look forward to more of your work.

Namasté,
~Tim

P.S.: Were these pieces created in photoshop?

ravells
10-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Very nice maps indeed, Thom. It's interesting to have people already making maps coming to the guild and posting their work. Quite often they have an original take on things that eventually subsumes into the collective. I'm probably wrong, but I don't think I've ever seen a map here which is so district rich. Makes perfect sense for a board game of course!

thomryng
10-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Disregard my reply from the other thread.

P.S.: Were these pieces created in photoshop?

Ha! Too late, Tim - I already replied on the other thread. ;)

And yes, everything is in Photoshop. Oh, the layers!

thomryng
10-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Very nice maps indeed, Thom. It's interesting to have people already making maps coming to the guild and posting their work. Quite often they have an original take on things that eventually subsumes into the collective. I'm probably wrong, but I don't think I've ever seen a map here which is so district rich. Makes perfect sense for a board game of course!

Thanks, ravells.

Cruenti Dei is actually a PBeM game (http://www.sardarthion.com/?page_id=42). The regions are units of both control and resource production, so there's a lot of data that has to go into each of them. The challenge is always to do that and not make the map look too cluttered.

I don't always succeed. The balance between information and aesthetics is always a fine, fine line.

cheers,

thom

thomryng
10-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Not bad at all. All I can really say is that you might want to get more creative fonts (but still legible) and the mountain and hill symbols repeat too often so you might want to make up a few more to break up the repeats. Otherwise these are top-notch political maps. Nice job, man.

Thanks, Ascension.

I made the first iteration of the maps several years ago, and I had even less idea then of what I'm doing than I do now. ;)

My main concern was to get the map set out - there are 17 of them altogether - and it was a daunting task. I pretty much used the same mountain and same hill throughout all the maps. I don't think I'd do that now, but of course I'm in the process of creating a map for a new continent so I have to keep the same aesthetic throughout all of the atlas maps.

I'm doing jezelf's tutorials to create a poster-sized world map, including several continents that exist only in outline to this point. For that map, I'll be using a wide number of different mountain and hill images.

cheers,

thom

teevee_etc
10-24-2010, 03:08 PM
Welcome from a new mapper!! Think you have created some really nice maps already :D