PDA

View Full Version : Bellows

Ramah
10-20-2010, 11:27 AM
Hey there,

This thread is for one of the city maps that I am creating for Empyrean Games to go with their Mechanol world. For anyone who has looked at that map, they may have noticed the seven icons that each denote one of the clockwork collossi - sentient beings that each have/are a city in constant motion around the world.

This map will show one of those cities. It is called Bellows, its emblem is the crab, which should become apparent why.

Anyway, here is where I roughly am now with it...

Nothing is complete here, so positioning and whatnot - still not decided even on landscape or portrait - will change. I've nearly completed the fourth section of the Ring plan view at the top, which will be the trade section. I also have to add more buildings, refineries, atop the foil casements between the sectors.
I've also got some rough versions of leg cutaways that I've removed for the purpose of this image.

This is my first city map and I have to admit to being torn between taking pleasure at watching it come together, boredom at drawing iddy-biddy-shiddy buildings and bemusement at the fact that I couldn't just pop my city cherry with a nice, straightforward, static city. :s

geamon
10-20-2010, 11:31 AM
I love the style of this and mechanol so much. Can't wait for you to finish it up! REP.

Jaxilon
10-20-2010, 11:34 AM
It just keeps getting better. Cool idea and it already looks really great Ramah!

Aenigma
10-20-2010, 12:27 PM
Crab City :D!
This is quite interesting.

Sapiento
10-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Looks great even as unfinished piece.

DevinNight
10-20-2010, 03:37 PM
nice mapping, and nice drawing, this has got to be tough to make look right. Nice job.

sigurdbjohansson
10-20-2010, 03:43 PM
This is REALLY cool! (rep)
How did you make the borders? Did you draw them??

RjBeals
10-20-2010, 04:24 PM
oh god.. that's awesome. very professional !

Ascension
10-20-2010, 09:02 PM
Very pretty but the top part is kinda hard to see the buildings. I'm not sure if this image is half size or not but you might want to make that top part a lil simpler to make it more legible...maybe make the buildings more linear and less 3d. Just a thought, shrug. Pretty, though.

Ramah
10-21-2010, 06:26 AM
Thanks all.

Ascension: Yeah, this image is at 50% size of the original so things are more visible at full size.

Sigurdbjohansson: The border is just my usual type border with some very slight bevels on the colouring and a round brush to make the rivets which are also slightly bevelled. Then it's all finished with my rough shading pattern to give it a little more illusion of height.

Steel General
10-21-2010, 07:25 AM
Stunning work Ramah... looking forward to seeing more.

Ramah
10-24-2010, 04:08 PM
Ok, quick update.

Almost finished the Ring section now, although I plan on adding some information regarding the Smoke Stack area on it. I've left the very rough sketch of the inner workings of one of the foils on this time although I've not altered it at all. Needs completely redoing.

Next up then - redraw the foil cutaway, find a better position for it and I reckon I'm gonna spend a little time doing some decoration at the border.

Slylok
10-24-2010, 05:38 PM
It looks fantastic Ramah, but it seems that it would need at least 6 legs to maintain its balance and level.

Ascension
10-24-2010, 08:38 PM
I see what you mean about the legs...pick one leg up to walk and it falls over. That center bit is looking great.

geamon
10-24-2010, 09:11 PM
I think it's actually a sectional cut out of the entire town but happens to pass through two legs. Each leg has an additional spike mid-way up that stabilizes in case of collapse? But I'm sure there multiple legs i.e. 6-8.

Ramah
10-25-2010, 03:26 AM
Nope, there are only four legs. I'd invoke the "client's wishes > logic" act but I think I can answer this one: each leg, when placed, attaches itself to the ground in one or two ways, one of them being that the internal workings of the legs drills down and creates a mineshaft that workers use. This is how it takes on its metal ore, coal etc. Each step takes quite some time. So when it walks, when one leg is in the air the other three are attached to the ground, thus keeping it steady.

That's my take on it at least.

Slylok
10-25-2010, 04:03 AM
I figured there was a logical explanation. That makes sense and is very clever. The only thing i would worry about now is that after a few trips around the mechanol the ground would start to erode and create an unstable path that would cave in as one of the other great machines followed. I'm over analyzing. Perhaps one of the other sentient beings fixes the problem. I can't wait to see the other colossal sentient clockworkery. Your talent is truly inspiring.

tilt
10-25-2010, 04:05 AM
very nice... and I love the drawings - and the font :) ... the only critique would be that the "sprawl" in the top section of the city looks like it is in perspective, and the other parts don't. Probably an optical illusion, but nevertheless its there :) ... but damn nice map.. love the cut-through - I would love to do stuff like that :)

Amazon.chique
10-29-2010, 03:49 PM
That is just gorgeous! Take some rep, please!

Ramah
11-07-2010, 03:05 PM
An update with the Ring section of the city complete with Smoke Stack section - this area contains a host of chimneys that originate from the Central Forge area and also contains all the important buildings of the city.

geamon
11-07-2010, 03:15 PM
Ridiculously awesome! Can't wait for the final product.

Gandwarf
11-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Amazing job Ramah, it's going to be pretty much a masterpiece. Love your handdrawn style. Also pretty interesting concept for a city, though I understand someone else came up with that idea.

Ramah
11-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Thanks guys.

Gandwarf, I have to say I consider you the king of city maps and so a compliment from you is a great boost.

RobA
11-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Really captured the depth (height) of the map elements there!

Good job.

-Rob A>

Ramah
11-11-2010, 06:52 PM
New update.

Leg cutaway starting to look better now. Also had a first pass at adding some interest to the border with the pipes.

(thumbnail stuffing up - sorry)

Ascension
11-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Normally I don't look at other dudes' pipes but those are impressive. Heh heh.

Ramah
11-16-2010, 04:21 PM
Hey there,

First pass at adding some more detail to the central forge area, hopefully saving the need to have a separate section for what is essentially just a big, hot room.

I'm not sure about the orange colour for the molten metal and furnaces. The thought was that just a splash of colour in such a way could create high impact and I think it looks ok but I think it could also maybe look a little tacky.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Slylok
11-16-2010, 08:25 PM
I think you captured its purpose perfectly. The orange color is definitely gonna draw everyone's eye to the center of this piece. I don't think it looks tacky. perhaps some steam would add to the effect. looks great!

RobA
11-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Hey there,

First pass at adding some more detail to the central forge area, hopefully saving the need to have a separate section for what is essentially just a big, hot room.

I'm not sure about the orange colour for the molten metal and furnaces. The thought was that just a splash of colour in such a way could create high impact and I think it looks ok but I think it could also maybe look a little tacky.

Anyone have any thoughts?

OMG this is so fabulous!

-Rob A>

Steel General
11-17-2010, 10:17 AM
Cool Stuff! (no pun intended)

tilt
11-19-2010, 04:16 AM
What better way to celebrate my 2500th post than commending ramah :) as mentioned about a thousand times before I'm in awe of your skill. This keeps getting better (as it should) and I actually think the orange color is just the right touch to make it stand out :)

Ramah
11-19-2010, 07:02 PM
Cheers guys. Well as no-one seems to be against the orange I will endeavour to keep it in the map. Although with moving things around it might have to go. It kinda works when it is plum in the middle of the map, but in my efforts to get the Lower Circuit mapped I might have to lose the little flourishes like that for the sake of legibility.

Having said that, here's an image from what I've done today on the map, taking the Lower Circuit in completely the opposite direction. I decided to add some rear leg mechanisms in case a cutaway with the rear leg is better. It took ages, trying to get it to look somewhat like the front one so after I had completed it I decided to put them all in just to show the damn things who is boss. Grrr.

I may not use this image, but then again I may if it turns out I have to span this map across two pages to get all the information in. At the moment this was just done for my own gratification. :)

Edit: Oops, I forgot I still had part of the forge masked out at the bottom. Never mind. :)

Vorhees
11-27-2010, 06:12 PM
i have been gone for way to long and i have so much to catch up on , this is amazing Ramah , Just Amazing

Ramah
11-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Thanks, Vorhees.

Hopefully I will have this map posted in the finished maps section soon.