PDA

View Full Version : Portrait

ravells
10-20-2010, 08:21 PM
I bought this month's edition of 'Digital Artist' which had a tutorial on painting skin. I'd just done a vector potrait of my lovely wife traced from a photo (well I think she's lovely) and decided to give the tutorial a go. It was written for photoshop, but I wanted to do it in drawplus. I've got a way to go, but I think the result was pretty good for a first effort - well I'm happy with it anyway. The first pic is the vector and the second is the 'painted' version.

Maps are more difficult. It takes me weeks to do a good map and I did this in a day.

DevinNight
10-20-2010, 09:18 PM
Nice Job.. making portraits in a vector program is tough. You did a nice job, I really like the hair in the painting.

ravells
10-21-2010, 06:55 AM
Cheers Devin. Drawplus continues to surprise me with what it's capable of. The main frustration was towards the end when the image would take a few seconds to redraw because of the number of strokes used, but there were upsides as well in terms of ease of editing.

I find hair really difficult to do (it's the hardest part for me).

Steel General
10-21-2010, 07:22 AM
It's a fine start Ravs!

NeonKnight
10-21-2010, 10:36 AM
Looks good..........oh to have 35 hours of Free time per day to do all my own PERSONAL stuff . . . *sigh*

ravells
10-21-2010, 10:40 AM
lol cheers. It's fun working for yourself, I can highly recommend it!!

Rythal
10-22-2010, 09:52 PM
good job for a first try, but imho the eyes look really off in the painted version, and I also think the hair could use a bit more detail. Then again, I'm no great digital artist myself.

good job though!

ravells
10-23-2010, 05:03 AM
Thanks Rythal, good call on both counts. I find hair an absolute devil to do, and should have spent more time getting the eyes right.

ravells
10-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Here's one I did today of my daughter....I think the darks are a bit muddy but it's an improvement (I think) so going in the right direction.

Jaxilon
10-25-2010, 08:41 PM
Nice work Ravells. You might consider posting on another site that caters more to this style if you want better feedback. Looks good to us though :)