PDA

View Full Version : How to install palettes on Gimp (mac) V. 2.6.7

Kikouk
10-21-2010, 11:44 AM
Hy,

I have a little problem here. I just arrived in the community, and I was trying to begin a little map with Gimp 2.6.7 on my mac. But here is the problem: I took a look at the tutorial ([Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?1142-Award-Winner-Using-GIMP-to-Create-an-Artistic-Regional-RPG-Map)), and in the second post, it is said that we must install the palette before starting any drawing.

So I download the palette pattern proposed, I dragged it into the "palette" folder of gimp application... And I just can't find how to do then.
I search where I can select a palette of colors, but I just can't find it.

Is anyone here can explain me how to open a downloaded palette of colors in order to use it in Gimp 2.6.7 for mac?

Thanks!
Kikouk

geamon
10-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Have you restarted GIMP since copying it? If not there is a refresh button looks like arrows in a circle on the bottom of the pallete window. That will refresh loaded content and it should appear.

Kikouk
10-21-2010, 11:48 AM
Have you restarted GIMP since copying it? If not there is a refresh button looks like arrows in a circle on the bottom of the pallete window. That will refresh loaded content and it should appear.

And where do I find the "palette window"? (here is my real question, in fact)

(Yes, I'm a begginer)

geamon
10-21-2010, 12:07 PM
Theres two ways you can access it. One you can open fresh as a single window. From the top of the screen Windows -> Dockable Dialogs -> Palletes. Or on either your layers or toolbox windows already open there is a button with an arrow pointing left, click that Add Tab -> Palletes. This should add a tab ontop of that window with that can switch you over to the pallete window.

Kikouk
10-21-2010, 01:44 PM
Grate! It works! Thank you very much!

geamon
10-21-2010, 01:52 PM
You're very welcome! This is pretty much how you change windows in GIMP, as you'll get more familiar with the software I'm sure you are gonna customize it more. I myself am still new to GIMP but so far I like to use pallettes, layers, paths, patterns and brushes. Play around and learn is my motto.