PDA

View Full Version : Trees in photoshop using layer styles

Aval Penworth
10-22-2010, 03:09 AM
I have been experimenting with making trees and forest using photoshop layers styles. Far from perfected but I thought I'd share the results so far.

JiveMiguel
10-22-2010, 03:14 AM
Looks pretty good to me! How'd you do it?

Aval Penworth
10-22-2010, 03:34 AM
I will write a tutorial if I can get the technique just right, and there is enough interest. Basically you make 4 transparent layers and apply drop shadow, bevel, inner glow, 1px stroke to each. Then stamp green/ brown grunge pattern brushes on each layer.

To get it looking really good I this a range of custom tree brushes is going to be needed.

tilt
10-22-2010, 03:42 AM
looks good so far - pic is a little small to take in the details :)

Aval Penworth
10-22-2010, 03:47 AM
The technique does not work very well, with my current settings, on trees greater than 50px wide ;)

Sapiento
10-22-2010, 04:05 AM
Looks interesting. At some trees the edges seems too sharp, but I guess this can be improved by refining the technique.

Aval Penworth
10-22-2010, 04:35 AM
Looks interesting. At some trees the edges seems too sharp, but I guess this can be improved by refining the technique.

I know what you mean. I think that I'll need to make softer edge brushes in a greater variety of shapes. I was just experimenting with what I already had. You could also reduce the opacity of the stoke effect or choose a softer colour to suit your taste and requirements.

Sapiento
10-22-2010, 07:54 AM
Softer edge brushes might be a possibility. I don't know what you are using exactly, but maybe a slight Gaussian blur could also take care of this.

Steel General
10-22-2010, 09:22 AM
I'd definitely be interested in seeing a tutorial on how to do this. I think what you've accomplished so far looks really good.

MagicChicken
10-23-2010, 10:49 PM
New member (and mapper) here. What you guys do is amazing!

Would definitely read a tree tutorial for photoshop! :)

Aval Penworth
10-24-2010, 10:57 PM
I have been playing around with the styles and brushes. The dark stroke suits the maps I have been making lately but a lighter and softer stoke may suit other styles. But I really have had that much time to get this right yet.

The brush used in 'h' & 'i' is too big at 60px . So trees on each layer will need to be a similar size.

I like the feel of 'a' and 'b' myself. And i like j1 and j4. Personally I like the stroke to define the individual trees.

Thoughts?

Aval Penworth
10-27-2010, 12:18 AM
I am pretty pleased with the results of my experiments and I have just about settled on this style. I imagine that thise technique would work on town maps or small regions and battlemaps, where individual trees are decernable. For those interested I will post a tutorial in the appropriate section, in the next week or so.

tilt
10-27-2010, 02:17 AM
looks good Aval :)