PDA

View Full Version : September-October Challenge: New Amsterdam

Larb
10-24-2010, 01:45 PM
It is far from finished but I'm hoping to finish it off over the next few days. I was really stuck for ideas and decided to make my own version of an old map of the city while adding a little artistic license, so it's not supposed to be highly accurate or anything.

The work in progress version is here (http://www.imperialcross.co.uk/artandmaps/newyorkwip.jpg) currently.

After I've done the main map I intend to play with the style to make it a little more my own.

torstan
10-24-2010, 01:56 PM
Looks fun - interested to see where this goes!

Larb
10-26-2010, 06:24 AM
Here is how it looks currently. Still lots more to do but I'm getting there. I'm hoping to finish it today or tommorow. Also I missed the bit about how I should show WIP stuff, so sorry about that.

### Latest WIP ###

tilt
10-26-2010, 06:46 AM
very nice - good colorscheme :)

Larb
10-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Well here is the finished map part before I go and label it after dinner, any tweaking aside that is. On a side note, when I'm finished, what do I do? Just update the first post with the finished map? (I have never entered a challenge before so I'm not entirely familiar)

### Latest WIP ###

Crayons
10-30-2010, 02:15 PM
To keep the creation thread sequential I just post the final image as another post at the end. The infamous thumbnail scraper picks it up OK - usually. Just be sure to have the hash tags etc.
Nice work!

tilt
10-30-2010, 03:04 PM
looking really good ... and yes, post the image in the last post with the hex hex hex etc tag ... and the scraper will pick it up :)

moutarde
10-30-2010, 03:13 PM
Looking really nice :) If you have time you should try to put a little dusting of texture on the water - it looks a little flat compared to the land.

Larb
10-30-2010, 05:12 PM
And I'm done! Whew. I could probably start adding lots and lots of details or something but then I'd never stop and I want to keep it nice and clean. I tried to give the water a little more texture and such as suggested. I think large bodies of water like that is something I need to work on in future town maps.

Kinda fun to do something from the real world for a change, it taught me a few things. And I actually managed to participate in a challenge! I am so terrible at meeting deadlines ordinarily and keeping my focus on things, but I think I'll make more of an effort to enter them in future. And thanks everyone for the comments.

Anyway, here it is (with tag for the thing):

### Latest WIP ###