PDA

View Full Version : You've got a long day of gaming ahead of you... what do you eat?

Notsonoble
10-26-2010, 10:59 AM
Roleplaying, CBT, Console, or Computer... you know your gonna be there all day( or night) and you don't want grabbing food to take too much time away. So what do you bring with you? If you do take a break for a meal, what do you typically get?

This can be at home gaming, or in the shop gaming...

mearrin69
10-26-2010, 01:05 PM
Four ounces of pretzels (count 'em, four), a Subway spicy italian foot-long, 1L Coke and 2L Coke Zero. That's what I take to my Sunday session anyway. In the old days it would have been more like pizza, Doritos, and Coke...but with age comes weight so I've had to get more sensible. ;)
M

NeonKnight
10-26-2010, 01:31 PM
For our gaming group we make it a dinner party and have had, BBQ STeak, Chicken, Pasta, Korean Kal-Bi, etc, etc.

Basically we make a menu before hand and get together, cook, eat, game

torstan
10-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Face to face with my UK group (rare but fun) - pizza and coffee. In NY - Grand Sichuan take out. Nothing quite like pork soup dumplings with TPK. Some Brooklyn beer or whatever interesting brew the players have found (they believe that liquoring the DM will save them from a sticky end - little do they know...)

tilt
10-26-2010, 01:39 PM
some chips, sometimes chocolate or mixed candy, lot and lots of coke or pepsi (mostly pepsi since its cheaper), pizza or sometimes burger or indian is ordered in. And a few times we go wild and have fruit ;)
very seldom beer, and we never cook ourselves as we only play from 17.00 to 24.00 on a "schoolnight" every other month, so no time to waste.

Aval Penworth
10-26-2010, 10:45 PM
For a long time it was beer, cheese platters, dips, chips, pizza and coke.

Now in the past few months we have decided to take turns preparing a meal the night before and bring it along. A couple of the guys are quite good cooks, and we've enjoyed a good variety of home cooked fare from pasta, to hamburgers, to sheherds pie, to chicken and polenta. WE still enjoy a beer or two.

Character sheets are kept in plasic sleeves . :)

mearrin69
10-26-2010, 11:48 PM
Mmmm, kal-bi. My brother's wife is Korean. Don't live near them anymore but she's a good cook. I miss good Korean food, which is oddly absent in the Portland area. I could game on some good Korean food...but maybe the kimchee breath would get old after a few hours!
M

ironman13405
10-27-2010, 12:47 AM
You know me and my friend's the other day where asking ourselves that. We wanted food of the time anybody have ideas? That'd be killer.. All the things I looked at were like ewww the meat was amazing though!

Notsonoble
10-27-2010, 10:26 AM
We wanted food of the time anybody have ideas?

You mean like foods appropriate to the setting your playing in??? Hmm... that's a thought...

Yes, in the end there is a real, evil plot behind these questions. Thank you for your answers...

ironman13405
10-27-2010, 02:48 PM
Yes I do mean like foods appropriate to the setting your playing in. It's epic

tilt
10-27-2010, 04:01 PM

yeah... then just play some space setting, then you can serve food in tubes :)

Aval Penworth
10-27-2010, 09:41 PM

Well if that's what you are after...many years ago we decided to eat as our characters would, while on adventure. So we figured trail rations would be the go...We ate beef jerky, hard cheeses, nuts and camp bread ( flour and water with a pinch of salt baked in a campfire) washed down with water from a gourd. We also made plain poridge to simulate the nourishing gruel of a clerics 'create food and water' spell. A few times we had spiced wine and mead or warm flat beer with geasy hunks of meat and chunks of bread with dripping to simulate tavern fare.

I think it was around the same time that we tried going D&D camping, but only eating what we could catch or forage. That didn't go so well as you can imagine.

If I tried to eat that now my digesive and circulatory systems would probably colapse. It was fun at the time though!

tilt
10-28-2010, 03:12 AM
sounds like you had fun though :) ... in my "olden" days of roleplaying (high school) we usually played saturday, started early and made a nice roast, some baked potatos and some veggies on the side, and lots of sauce bernaise... just like the travellers on the road did... eh... well... ok... high born travellers in a kingly inn :)

ravells
10-28-2010, 10:28 AM
For our gaming group (mostly board gaming and on the very, very rare occasion RPGs) it was usually wine and beer. Food, pizza or an Indian or Chinese Take away (sometimes). But to be honest the wine and beer got top billing.

Jaxilon
10-29-2010, 02:21 AM
Dragon Noodles!
You could just make stuff and give it names that sound good. "Here, have a bite of this bat head." (for a hushpuppy, hehe). Check out what they serve at Mid-evil Times. A big ol' juicy BBQ Turkey leg always looks good as Barbarian food.

Usually we order Pizza or everyone just brings something ala Subway or Wendy's. As the GM I usually don't get to eat much so I try to eat before I start and then just nibble. Everyone else has a great time feasting away while someone else is in the hot seat. I've had beers before but usually we just stick to Soda.

krasimir
11-09-2010, 02:40 PM
I believe you should eat every 3 hours, so rule #1 is don't overeat. Other than that, it's 30 grams of protein, slow carbs, and some essential oils. Call me crazy!

ExMachina
11-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Way back when it used to be a big bag of Cheetos chased down with as much soda as was available.

Unfortunately, I no longer have the time. In addition, they no longer make video games that can pique my interest for a whole day...the golden age of gaming has long since passed.

Aval Penworth
11-09-2010, 05:21 PM
I believe you should eat every 3 hours, so rule #1 is don't overeat. Other than that, it's 30 grams of protein, slow carbs, and some essential oils. Call me crazy!

Thanks for your contribution...