PDA

View Full Version : [Unpaid - Taken] Simple farm village map

rossik
10-29-2010, 09:17 PM
hi guys!

im looking for a simple map, no 3d, no "lights/deeps/ etc".

a simple black and white map of a small village with 6 farms and a road passing inside the village, like "across" (i guess).

its for a adventure im writing about a attak of killer ants (a medieval fantasy setting). it will be a free pdf in portuguese, and i will give credit to the artist and link to his email/site/ etc

please let me know

mearrin69
10-29-2010, 09:45 PM
Think you could draw a rough sketch of what you're looking for and post it? Nothing fancy, just something to help us see what you're envisioning. I might be interested in doing this if no one else jumps onboard right away.
M

geamon
10-30-2010, 01:39 AM
I'd be willing to tackle it and stretch my legs. If you can PM me more specifics ie how many buildings in the town, nature of the buildings, any important land features etc etc.

rossik
10-30-2010, 08:02 AM
thanks friends!

here a example of what i want:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?8550-taken-unpaid-simple-map-FRPG-village&highlight=rossik

points to remember:
-black and white map
-i will ask later, if possible to number 3 or 4 things
-a road must cross the village
-its suppose to be a very small farm village (like 50-70 people, maybe 4 people per home, so about 15 houses including the farms), with only 6 farms (plantations?). they just plant potatoes and stuff like that (no animals).
-feel free to the format of the village, houses, nature, etc. just please keep it simple.

thanks a lot, your help are much appreciated!

rossik
11-02-2010, 04:23 PM
hi guys!
do you need more tips? i can try to explain more if needed, ok?

thanks!

geamon
11-02-2010, 04:39 PM
I was busy these past couple days. Gonna work on it today should have a WIP - work in progress version for you soon.

rossik
11-02-2010, 04:43 PM
I was busy these past couple days. Gonna work on it today should have a WIP - work in progress version for you soon.
thats great! thanks ;)

geamon
11-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Before I continue did you want any textures involved or just draw objects in black. Also if you don't mind me asking why no color if this is being distributed in a pdf file format. Is adding plantations to the farms acceptable? Usually farms have more then one building is it also acceptable to go with more then one building per farmstead? Also did you want any type of body of water in the village?

rossik
11-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Before I continue did you want any textures involved or just draw objects in black. Also if you don't mind me asking why no color if this is being distributed in a pdf file format. Is adding plantations to the farms acceptable? Usually farms have more then one building is it also acceptable to go with more then one building per farmstead? Also did you want any type of body of water in the village?

first of all, thanks for the help!

well, i must confess i didnt realize about the pdf stuff, but since im prefere the early 80's d&d look, most inside material were monochromatic, but its not writen in stone :D
You dont have to do textures, just the objects in black would be great!

the plantation is a must have, sorry if i couldnt make myself clearer (my poor english gets me sometimes :P). so, "yes" for plantations and for buildings.

the adventure is for begginers, and its a specific hack'n'slash adventure, so they will not adventure so much in the village. BUT, a DM could like the setting and make stuff by himself, so it would be nice to have those details you talked about.

about the water, i would ask to you not to do a "stream" or something. just a lake would do fine, since my last adventure had this body of water crossing the village, i didnt want to get a similar looking village.
it may be silly of my, but i hope you understand.

please ask any more questions you want, ok?

cheers
rafael

geamon
11-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Here's what I got after 30-45 mins. Very basic outline of the area and what I'm thinking of doing. I know it looks very square...I'm far from over. Looking at the examples you through together they were too simple for my taste so I'm gonna put more time investment for it as well. Let me know if this is okay or if anything needs to be adjusted. Added a desaturated version for you.

geamon
11-03-2010, 01:49 AM
Here's my finished work pending feed back and changes. Still kinda square but I don't mind. Also wasn't sure what to do with the fields for plantations so I simply did hay fields for livestock. There is room for a compass rose, scale, legend etc upon your request. Also kept it black and white per your request. Hope you like it.

ravells
11-03-2010, 06:00 AM
I like that look Geamon! Nice work!

tilt
11-03-2010, 06:14 AM
looks good, I wonder about the slight elevation on the road, when there is nothing on the hedges? :)

rossik
11-03-2010, 06:51 AM
thanks geamon!
i will change to "taken" (i think this is it, right?).

now, i would like to ask you a few changes.
could you do less "square"? the hole village format, i mean.
also, the plantation part could show a little more, like i tried to do in my lousy doodle. (this is abetter representation, only that here is "3d" and a kind of side view, but im looking for "from the sky view" :http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/109/1092283/my-empire-20100524004608468-000.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/rafaelbeltrame/farm0001.jpg

last, could you not "end" the roads to the houses?

i love the art, please let me knoe if the changes are possible!

geamon
11-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Basically you want me to make the roads less square and flowing more like a river and end right at the base of the houses? Should be possible...As for the plantations I just haven't thought of anything specific yet that will pop. I'll take a look at making those changes after you reply. Also let me know if you want a name/title, compass rose or any other elements added.

@tilt: I didn't work on elevations or shadows because from my understanding rossik didn't want any "3D" effects. If there is any present it's coincidental

rossik
11-03-2010, 10:44 AM
thats right about the road!
about the plantation, you can do something generic, simbolic. no need fot "potatoes", Corn", tomatoes", etc...just something "grassy", i think.

and no names or compass, please. theres no need for such ;)

cheers

geamon
11-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Here's the map with the modifications you wanted (I hope). I had a grass texture for the farms I guess it was too light so I darkened it. Any final revisions you want before I make this the final version?

rossik
11-03-2010, 12:16 PM
its almost there!

i dont follow one thing: theres a road, right? and theres another "mark" that outline the whole map. what is it?
could you do just the road, the houses/farms and plantations? also, could you let the roads "open ended" to the houses?

geamon
11-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Hedges/Tree Growth around farms. There is never a farm without something delineating the edge of the area I chose hedge rows because fences aren't viable at this scale. I don't get what you mean by open ended for roads They all lead up to the edge of the houses like you asked, even going under the houses but not visible. Are you thinking more of a courtyard area as opposed to roads at the intersections near the farms/barns?

rossik
11-03-2010, 02:14 PM
yes, i dont know exaclty how to say, but i think that there is to much plantation there. i wish, if possible, for more free and unmarked field, as i will try to show here:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/rafaelbeltrame/farm20001.jpg
the giant Xs doesnt exist, they are there only to show the free space

also, theres the "open road" thing i said

geamon
11-03-2010, 02:38 PM
I think I'm going to leave my map as is those changes your asking for have no impact on the map at all. Seeing as I gave you more then you originally asked for I'm going to put this project as complete. If someone else wants to modify my work, I'll be happy to provide the .xcf. To let you know, in my mind the open road concept and the plantation concept you are looking for is more symbol based maps such as topographic maps that have these elements. Hope you use the map.

rossik
11-03-2010, 05:02 PM
I think I'm going to leave my map as is those changes your asking for have no impact on the map at all. Seeing as I gave you more then you originally asked for I'm going to put this project as complete. If someone else wants to modify my work, I'll be happy to provide the .xcf. To let you know, in my mind the open road concept and the plantation concept you are looking for is more symbol based maps such as topographic maps that have these elements. Hope you use the map.

thanks for taking your time, geamon!

so, if anyone feel like helping too, please feel free to do it, i will be very greatful

rossik
11-04-2010, 10:41 AM
problem solved, thanks everybody for the atention!

moderation please move my topic :D