PDA

View Full Version : So, who is doing NaNoWriMo?

rdanhenry
10-31-2010, 10:25 AM
As National* Novel Writing Month is nigh upon us (actually, it is upon part of the world already), I thought I'd see who among the writer-types here is participating. And will you be doing a map for it? (I am and I will.) Also, if you want to be writing buddies (basically, it just means it's easier to check on each other's progress, which helps put the pressure on; also, you can provide words of encouragement, etc., but that takes away precious novel-writing time), or just want to satisfy some strange curiosity about my NaNoWriMo site, my page is at http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/413153.

* - It's actually quite international, but they haven't changed the name. InNoWriMo doesn't have the right ring to it, I guess.

tilt
10-31-2010, 10:59 AM
sounds like fun, if I had the time I just might join in :)

Aval Penworth
10-31-2010, 01:01 PM
OMG you won last year! How cool.

So is that 50,000 words in 30 days?

rdanhenry
10-31-2010, 01:35 PM
And this year my goal is not to just make the 50,000 in 30 days, but actually conclude my story during November.

Aval Penworth
10-31-2010, 01:45 PM
And this year my goal is not to just make the 50,000 in 30 days, but actually conclude my story during November.

Man, I really struggle with endings. (Lousy B.Ed Lit. taught me nothing! :x:?::lol:) I can never come up with something poignant and satisfying.

Then again neither can Dan Brown and he still seems to do okay.

tilt
10-31-2010, 02:39 PM
Man, I really struggle with endings. (Lousy B.Ed Lit. taught me nothing! :x:?::lol:) I can never come up with something poignant and satisfying.

Then again niether can Dan Brown and he seems to still do okay.

why did I just think of Monty Python's Holy Grail here *lol*

Jaxilon
11-02-2010, 01:48 AM
I wish I was a writer. I have always thought I should try it and I won first place in a National Wildlife essay contest in High School. They even told me I was going to be a writer some day. I guess writing code is sort of like writing. Only now I'm retired from writing software (more or less) and I'm doing other things. I ought to take a creative writing class and give it a shot or something. I could spend the rest of my days as a scribe...hehe. I do write poems when I get the bug. I also GM my friends in a game world I made up and so I sort of tell stories that way. Who knows, maybe I missed a calling along the way?

I have to say though that I don't really like the name "InNoWriMo". Reminds me of "fashizzle" <-- or whatever that rubbish was/is. Sorry, no offense, but I just think that if you are going to talk around other people they should understand you. So just learn to speak. [I have to be honest and admit this might be a sign of my getting old :)]

Edit:
Thanks for the link to the website, now that I'm reading it I have to admit it does sound like a great challenge and a lot of fun. I just have to decide if I want to blow out the rest of my month attempting something like this. It is a great idea. I'm heading back to read more about it. Even though I'm already behind since it will be the 2nd in less than an hour :)

tilt
11-02-2010, 03:27 AM
a couple of thousand words pr day - come on Jax - you can do it :) ... and by the way, try checking out "writing excuses" by (amongst others) Brandon Sanderson (one of my absolute favorites), they are on podcast and free and take up a lot of tips and tricks on how to write :)

Jaxilon
11-02-2010, 03:31 AM
Really...I got this MASSIVE book here beside my by Brandon Sanderson called "The Way of Kings". It's got some really fancy artwork. He pulled a miracle getting all this art into this book. I don't think I have seen a book with so much art in it since I read a copy of The Hobbit that had illustrations. Pretty cool maps too I must say.

I did sign up by the way because I wanted to get into the site and see more stuff...only now I realized I actually did sign up for the contest. Maybe it's a sign :)

Now I'll have to figure out what to write about. 2000 words a day. I wonder how many that is when you sit down and actually just start writing? I may have to find out.

edit: can't find the podcast but I know I saw it on there somewhere.

tilt
11-02-2010, 03:35 AM
envious - haven't gotten that one yet, but read his Mistborn novels, which were fantastic, and Warbreaker, also great :) ...and have TWoK on my wish list on Amazon. :) ... heard about him when he was announced to take over Wheel of Time :)
and Good luck Jax :)

Larb
11-02-2010, 03:45 AM
I am taking part in NaNoWriMo. I took part last year but I only managed about 15,000 words before I gave up on the story. I'm hoping to finish this time around though I think perhaps I might need to make a START on it in order to do that.

tilt
11-02-2010, 04:51 AM
Just red that Brandon Sanderson is doing it too - he just have to finish a novella first and he is on tour this month ... *lol*

Jaxilon
11-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Well it's on. I'm official now and I have my first words down. I have no idea if I can do this but I'm just going to kick up as much dirt as I can and have fun with it. If anyone cares: Jaxilon's NaNoWriMo attempt (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/745450)

tilt
11-03-2010, 03:14 AM
of course we care - that way we can say "yeah, knew him before he got famous" *lol*

Jaxilon
11-03-2010, 03:20 AM
ROFL
Not likely especially since I don't have much desire to be famous. I'm still trying to figure out how to be a Ghost writer / Mapper.

tilt
11-03-2010, 03:22 AM
yep, I usually say "I'd like to be rich and not famous ... so I'm halfway there, I'm allready not famous" ;)

rdanhenry
12-01-2010, 03:45 AM
I am full of win!

Now I am wondering if it would be possible to get a NaMoWriMo going - National Module Writing Month. Any system, any setting, just get a usable, playable module ready for playtesting by the end of the month.

Jaxilon
12-01-2010, 04:04 AM
LOL, I was full of fail. I got off to a good start but then had a few days that were all booked up with work and other crap I had to deal with and I just never recovered. I figured I would be able to catch up but then that wall of words I needed to overcome just kept looming bigger and bigger until I was afraid to go into the room with it. I did have fun on the part I started and I will probably keep working on it. Why do I always think things are going to be better/easier/slower and they just keep coming at me full tilt? Seems like when I do finally get a day off I'm stunned and walk about thinking there must be something I've forgotten to do. Oh well, it did get me started and maybe I can try again next time.

rdanhenry
12-01-2010, 04:14 AM
Well, it took me till my second try to succeed. And I still need to actually get the book written to the end of the story. Third time maybe is the charm, though, because I've got a complete story. Next year, maybe I can have it done in time to be polishing it at the end of the month.