PDA

View Full Version : oktober/november entry - a ruin in the blight

tilt
11-01-2010, 09:20 AM
I never got around to finish the last lite challenge, but I'll stay with my theme for the blowup. This is a house in the town that had been overrun by both trollocs and the blight. For now I added a basic shape of the house and spent some time making the texture for the ground - as always C&C is welcome :)

### Latest WIP ###

tilt
11-01-2010, 10:44 AM
added a couple of trees, some groves in the ground a road and a path :)

### Latest WIP ###

geamon
11-01-2010, 03:04 PM
From what I can tell you are using a mask to input the breaks in the walls? The top right corner looks completely gone which is what id like to see in the bottom center where you can still see the wall outline, also theres no break in the southern wall shadow. The shadows of the wall also seem too rounded and not jagged as the walls would illustrate. Additonally as far as I can see the angle of the shadow for the walls doesnt have the same angle as the trees which I'm assuming is a imported png. Also personaly unless it is a paved road or stone pavers I would add some blending of the road textures not a straight defined edge. Aside from that's looks good and has some nice dark feeling to it so far.

tilt
11-01-2010, 03:49 PM
thanks for your great input. I've been changing the road since my last update to go with the (for now) everything made directly in photoshop theme :) ... the trees are made in photoshop and the shadow is hand painted. The walls are not really ready yet, and to show holes in them I probably will end up hand painting those too - but really good input concerning them. And yep - using a mask to be able to "undo" the damage if needed :)

geamon
11-01-2010, 03:54 PM
I only have a general sense of PS so that was why I wasn't giving more specific input. But I thinking you would have better shadows if you do a mix of a drop shadow filter and hand painting it. I myself am learning a lot about shadows on my abbey floor plan.

tilt
11-01-2010, 04:15 PM
I love shadows - hand painted and automatic alike. I love the first for what you can do with them, and the last for what they can do for you ;) ... especially try to use the latter for battle map item, so I can just drop them anywhere without having to redo shadows all the time :)

ravells
11-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Hate to say it, but the repeat on your ground texture is showing. It feels a bit like saying to a lady that she's tucked the back of her skirt into her tights!

:: edit :: or is it? there isn't an obvious repeat but there's something squarish about the ground texture if you know what I mean? (Very minor point).

Otherwise I think it's looking great!

tilt
11-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Hate to say it, but the repeat on your ground texture is showing. It feels a bit like saying to a lady that she's tucked the back of her skirt into her tights!

hmmmm ... thats no good, and double anoying since there shouldn't be any repeat, since the whole background where made at once - not by using a texture. So I'm guessing it's some of photoshops effects that are repeating. :(

tilt
11-01-2010, 05:42 PM
thanks for the edit ravs, cause I'm sitting and staring myself blind trying to find the repeats *lol* ... managed to see your post before the edit :)

### Latest WIP ###

Alcairdazar
11-02-2010, 04:13 AM
Nice idea, I love WoT :)
Only thing wrong, that I can see, other than what geamon said is the floorboards, which look rather new - maybe some rotting and dead foilage? I don't really think this is necessary to point out though, since you're probably doing this as I type.

tilt
11-02-2010, 04:23 AM
*lol*... yep, gotta stress the floor some more - and throw some debris around ... and all ideas are appreciated, so thank you :)

tilt
11-02-2010, 07:52 AM
so, added some "blight" creeping in and stressed the floor boards a litte - needs some more though...

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
11-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Coming along nicely...

Aval Penworth
11-02-2010, 08:56 PM
I like it a lot. You have really conveyed a blight-ridden feel. But...
I am gonna be picky too, in the friendliest possible way :)

As you have updated since the previous comments, I assume you have attempted to take that input onboard. I feel that there still are areas you could rework;

The break in the floor does not look right. There are bits of board that really should have fallen in as there is nothing to hold them in place. Even if the boards are sitting directly on the earth (never a good idea) those small pieces would probably dislodge. There should probably also be evidence of floor joists/ beams to make it seem more realistic. And what has happened to the boards from the hole? I might be nice to see a couple of busted bits in the hole.

Also the bevel gloss/ highlight is problaby too strong top left and bottom right. The little cones that have formed in those shiny beveled areas don't look quite right either. They are too smooth and conical. And although the tree in the light looks pretty good, the tree in the dark looks a little plastic.

Cheers

AP

tilt
11-03-2010, 03:44 AM
thanks Aval, friendly critisism is always appreciated :)
yeah - I am planning to throw some debris in the holes (just haven't had the energy yet *lol*), and perhaps poke a little hole here and there. Good idea with the beams, I actually thrown in a little drop shadow to show there were beams under the floor, so they should of course show.
bevel highlight on the walls?
and I see what you mean about the tree - as I added the creaping death on the ground suddenly the high light have gotten to strong.
thank you for your good input :)

Aval Penworth
11-03-2010, 05:34 AM
I mean the highlight on the in the ground as shown

tilt
11-03-2010, 05:44 AM
super - thanks... and yes, they are a bit glossy :)

tilt
11-15-2010, 05:44 AM
So weekend spent celebrating the birthday of my youngest and my wife I haven't really had any time for mapping. But I was rather pleased by the many hours spent setting up new book shelves and sorting all my rpg's and fantasy/sci-fi books so I now can see everything I got and don't have to dig through a wall of books to get to other books :)
i did however manage to do a little work last week - so that is going to be my last update

### Latest WIP ###

Aval Penworth
11-15-2010, 09:07 AM
Looking really good.

RecklessEnthusiasm
11-15-2010, 09:30 AM
Looks great to me, Tilt! I always like going head-to-head with you on challenges--you always turn out such cool stuff. I have to stay on my toes!

Steel General
11-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Looks mighty 'blight-y' :)

tilt
11-15-2010, 01:24 PM
thanks Aval and SG, and right back at ya RE :)

Katto
11-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Really nice. You can feel the blight creeping towards the house.